Bonacker

electronic ignition question

Bonacker

thinking about bypassing  the condenser and points and going to electronic Ignition has any body else done this like to know if i can even do it for my 87  310-8 and 74 b-80  thanks

gwest_ca

There is a unit that can be added but it still uses the original points.

http://www.kirkengines.com/

If you are thinking of the small modules most common now they are intended for magneto ignitions that use points. Have yet to make one work correctly but suspect it has been because the flywheels had more than one magnet and tries to fire at both of them.

Garry

• Like 1

Bonacker

thanks for the feed back Garry  I will check in that link  really just a thought  some other guys have done it but not with wheel horses and like it just a thought for the future  

formariz

In my experience the more available and inexpensive ignition systems where you simply replace the points and or condenser with a small module , work well for a small engine like a Kohler k91. I also have not been successful in making it work with a K181. I will be attempting it soon on a K161.

You need to go into a more complex system using a trigger, and module. Check this site out. It has all the information you need to do that successfully. http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/ignition.htm

If you have one of the bigger Kohlers like a K301 or a K341 and you look on eBay, you will find the parts needed for them to accomplish that task. The coil, trigger,and stator. New they are terribly expensive but they do show up used somewhat reasonable. The stator will be the difficult one. Very rare. It has three wires coming out of it instead of the two. its basically a bolt on system . Bearing plate already has the correct location provision to mount trigger.  I believe it also fits on a K241 the stator being the only thing I am not sure about.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1