WNYPCRepair

Wish I had this when I worked construction

WNYPCRepair

I hated mixing concrete and mortar, or wheeling it in wheelbarrows from a concrete truck

video

Facebook video, hope it works

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

What the heck is that , wonder is you could mount a blower or blade. It has to hold a bucket. What way to mix concrete .

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

It's weird looking, but it mixes concrete like a champ. I thought it was just a weird looking FEL at first.

I just realized, I didn't see any gravel in that mix. 

KC9KAS
5 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I just realized, I didn't see any gravel in that mix. 

That footing won't last!

953 nut

Awesome toy, I would also want the optional elevator to lift those heavy bags of portland.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Well ain't that sumptin!  Scoop, mix, deliver and pour!  Never seen that!

Thanks for sharing Brian!

• Like 1

can whlvr

im a mason  and concrete instalations worker,ive seen these up here but on a skid ateer and it had safty grates,that machine as it sits is a DISASTER,we would have kids sucked into that thing in minutes,the tractor can put anything on the front just like a skid steer,we had one that had a scale on it so you knew how much aggregate to scoop,if done properly very high strength concrete can be achieved,good for small jobs when under load charges are more than the concrete cost,up here we use a lot of aerated concrete and we simply get a bottle of liquid air and add it to the water that goes into the mix

• Like 3

6wheeler

Being a ready mixed concrete driver. I see all kinds of new products available to construction work these days. In the 27 years I have been doing this? I have seen many new things. All the way from simple hammers to laser screeds and 65meter concrete pumps. 2 years ago even Caterpillar came to our company with an idea to use an asphalt paver to pour concrete. The concrete was batched at about a 1 inch slump. Basically, what we call barrier mix (used to make concrete barriers between freeway lanes. And yes, there is a machine for that too.). It actually worked and they were even able to flatten it with a roller. It looked pretty good. The only thing that would be different is the control joints would have to be saw cut. But, that's not a big deal. The mixer in the video is a lot like a grout hog. With the exception being, the don't "scoop" material with it. But it does mix material. Many companies make a similar machine. Several of the pool and fence contractors that I deliver to use these also the block contractors use them for core filling. We just load the mix in it and they can travel to the location it is needed. Then unload through a discharge hose (like the one in the video). In this video, it looks as though they are building a playground perimeter. Many times we have had to try to drive around these types of jobs and the contractor would have to swing the chutes to try to reach everything. With these "hoppers"? They can get into much tighter places with a Bobcat or Lull or even a small articulated loader like that one. With a similar climate to what can whlvr has, we do pretty much the same here. Put plenty of additives in the mix. And heat water and sand for winter pouring. People ask a lot. Do they pour concrete when its this cold? Answer? Yes they do. If they are crazy enough to pour it? We will haul it to them.     Pat

WNYPCRepair
35 minutes ago, 6wheeler said:

Basically, what we call barrier mix (used to make concrete barriers between freeway lanes. And yes, there is a machine for that too.)

Yes, they are cool, pouring into a moving form. :)

36 minutes ago, 6wheeler said:

Do they pour concrete when its this cold? Answer? Yes they do. If they are crazy enough to pour it? We will haul it to them.

There is a cutoff in NY, they have to pour before the cutoff date, or wait for the startup date. I don't remember the dates for sure, but I seem to remember it was mid December or wait until March. My builder poured 2 weeks before we closed on the construction loan because otherwise he couldn't start building until spring. 

• Like 1

953 nut

In the late '60s I was working on a construction job in Syracuse where they were forming and pouring walls horizontally that would later be set in place with a crane, They brought in ready mix that had steam injected in it during the winter when it was below freezing. Seemed to work pretty well except for one unexpected blizzard, hard to get a smooth finish on concrete with 6" of snow on it; break out the terrazzo grinders.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Never heard of injecting steam in concrete!  Makes good sense though!  Heat with very little additional water!  Much better than a coating of snow!

Amazing what a lurker can learn around here!

• Like 1

can whlvr

we pour all year round here,we use insulated tarps a lot and a lot of straw,we use a winter mix for things with rebar and calcium for things without,the cement is sent out at 20 degrees celcius so iy rarely freezes as concrete will produce heat as cures

WNYPCRepair

My house was almost 20 years ago, so with new technology they may not have that restriction any more. All they did back then was add calcium. 

can whlvr

calcium is alright as long as theres no rebar,most everything we build today has bar,so calcium isn't used that much

• Like 1

Pullstart

So if that machine was so unstable with the load barely off the ground, which idiot on the job thought to lift it over their (working) heads and hook the shoot to it?  It's a great concept for small jobs I'm sure, but a little on the unsafe side I imagine!

• Like 1