chevrat68

k321 crank

chevrat68

Looking for any one who can help me locate a crank shaft for a k321. I think the M14 is the the same but not exactly sure. If somebody could point me in the right direction. 

Thanks

pfrederi

Crankshafts vary considerably between spec numbers let alone model.  There are 10 pages of cranks for K321/M14 in the Kohler crankshaft reference.  Most of the differences are external but....

What spec number are you dealing with, that will find a crank part number then you can see what may swap. 

Crank Refernce

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

Wishin4a416

I don't believe the M14 crank is the same. I don't believe it has a cam lobe for the points plunger but Ive been wrong before.

• Like 2

tbarnhart

Yea, Jack, your wrong. Crank and Cam are two different parts. But, you may be right. There were some differences in the counter weights on the newer Magnum cranks as opposed to the older K-series.  Unless you know exactly what you have, its hard to find the correct replacement. Some 16 hp cranks could be the same. And, there were different piston setups that had different weights and used cranks with different balance weight.

MalMac

Yes I can tell you for a fact there are difference between the K series and the Magnums. I just went through a big balance problem on a Mag 14. Go to Brian Millers web site and look under balancing crank topic and it explains all the differences.

Wishin4a416

Jeez, what was I thinking. The plunger rides on the cam.:text-imsorry: Brain dead I guess.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      I was breaking down the engine getting it ready to go to the machine shop. Everything was pretty normal until it tried to remove the PTO race and the engine pulley.  As I was setting up the "puller" I noticed the end of the crankshaft looked different but never gave it much thought.  After a half a can of PB Blaster,destroying the engine pulley and turning the air in the shop blue I was able to get the crankshaft free.  There was a LOT of baked on crud and grease and I thought that was the problem.  Cleaned everything up and found the race would not slide on the crankshaft???  Got out the measuring tools and found the answer.  The end of the crankshaft was expanded will past the 1.125".
      I had another crankshaft so I looked at the PTO end.  It almost looks like someone bored the end and inserted some kind of tapered shaft and/or beat the heck out of the end and swelled the last 1/2"-3/4" of the crankshaft.

Can anyone think of a reason???

• Machineguy
      By Machineguy
      Hello everyone!

I finally picked up a Workhorse 700 and I’m doing a restoration with the exception of a Kohler K321 in place of the scavenged Tecumseh. Anyone done a similar swap and had trans issues or breakage problems? This isn’t going to be a puller, just gonna keep a 42” snow blade on it  for small snows and use it for light duty towing and putting around. I have the engine sitting around from another repower project and I have access to a large variety of machine tools and fabricating equipment. Any thoughts?
    • UK321
      By UK321
      Hi everyone,
      Great to find a forum dedicated to my favourite tractor.

I have three at the moment and one I've just acquired is a C125 fitted with a K321 engine. I bought it as a known non runner and found that the conrod had disintegrated.  I wanted to get it re-bored so, fancying a little more power than my last C125 I had it bored out to 3.5 inches and duly bought a rebuild kit from the US for a standard K341.  My questions are:

If I use the crankshaft from the K321 do I need to get it re-balanced?  It's in good shape though I would get it ground.
      If I don't get it balanced and, bearing in mind it is for mowing so is hardly ever idling, will it shake it to nits? and, finally
      Does anyone know of the whereabouts of a half decent crank from a K341 that might be bought?

Thank to all.
      Martin
    • midpack
      By midpack
      I have a K341 that gave up a rod a while back. talk about "Big Bang Theory..." anyway, I tore it down to see how bad it got inside and to my surprise other than the rod, and the very bottom of the piston skirts the inside looks great!
      the crankpin looked like it might have taken some abuse but i used a white stone (lightly) and some polishing paper and it must have been debris from the rod or piston because it came right off.
      i took some measurements and it does show some wear. the crankpin measures 1.498 to 1.499 (low limit is 1.499) and out of round a full .001 (spec calls for .0005 max)
      the bore measures .002 out of the wear limits and is out of round about .005. going to need a new piston anyway and i can bore it at work . no problem there.

my question is, would you re-use the crank in that condition? I can't grind a crank at work...  lol
    • KC9KAS
      By KC9KAS
      I have a good Kohler K181RS. The "R" is a gear reduction originally for a high pressure pump. The crankshaft has a gear on the PTO end that meshes with a larger gear to run the pump at a slower RPM.
      I am looking for another K181 crankshaft in usable condition. If anyone has one, or would be interested in swapping engines, please contact me.