Xearl

Snow thrower

Xearl

I have a two stage snow thrower mounted on my 523 dxi . Today I noticed the chain was a little slack so I tried  to tighten it. I think it is the sprocket on the right facing  the  machine . I had a hard time but I finally got the bolt loose. Try as a may I could not get the sprocket to move. My question is does it move left to right  or up and down ? Now after all this I reached  down in there and discovered  the  bearing in the sprocket  was shot . I ordered one . If it snows I guess I'll use it as is until I can replace the sprocket. Any help would be appreciated . I just thought of one more question. There are no grease fittings  on the outer auger bearings . I was wondering if they are sealed or do they have to be packed ?

Edited by Xearl
left some words out .

Xearl

Thanks Garry I have the manual . Looking at it again , because you sent the link,  I think I was messing with the wrong sprocket . At least I found the bad one .  Soooo  If you had not sent this I would be messing with the wrong one again .   Thanks
ED

WNYPCRepair

The sprocket to adjust is (from driver's seat looking forward) is at bottom right. Loosen the bolt, and move it to the right. The hole is slanted a bit. Easiest way I found was a 3/4" square piece of wood cut a bit longer than the distance between the left side of the sprocket and the left side of the blower frame. Tap it in until the chain is tight, then tighten the sprocket nut. 

The auger bearings are not what I would call a bearing, more like a bushing. I have pics of my old ones somewhere, they have some type of fiber, cloth, or leather inside. I'll see if I can find them.

Can't find the pics of the old ones, but here is a new one, and part numbers for them, and also the bearings up top on the jack shaft. That is the cheapest I found, but I'm sure someone here knows someone with a better price

56a051205b66f_augerbearing.thumb.JPG.32a

56a0511ecf5a0_augerbearings.thumb.JPG.23

56a0511d2d383_blowerjackshaftbearings.th

Edited by WNYPCRepair

WNYPCRepair

This topic has a lot of info on the top bearings on the jack shaft

Xearl

Thank you Brian you are a big help .  I should have checked all this before mounting the blower . ED

Edited by Xearl
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Ah, here we go

This is a topic with info on changing the auger bearings

And a pic of the destroyed bearings on mine. I had to drive them out of the flanges with a punch, but they were already destroyed, all I did was bend the very edges a little, the rest was as I found them. And the auger still turned, by the way

56a053a2c6f56_badaugerbearings.jpg.16d84

4 minutes ago, Xearl said:

Thank you Brian you are a big help .  I should have checked all this before mounting the blower . ED

Yeah, it is a hassle taking it on and off. I unhokked mine at mid mount and the rear axle braces, pulled the belt off the pulley and rolled the tractor back as far as I could, and did everything like that. And then did it again after Shallow Water Sailor pointed out the flanges were on wrong. :)

Xearl

So now I find I have one side where the auger bearing has play .  I guess I'll do both sides. When you replaced yours did you also replace the flanges ? I hope I can use the old ones this is becoming expensive . Also can this be done without removing any major parts ,like the auger. Any help will be appreciated .  ED

WNYPCRepair
59 minutes ago, Xearl said:

So now I find I have one side where the auger bearing has play .  I guess I'll do both sides. When you replaced yours did you also replace the flanges ? I hope I can use the old ones this is becoming expensive . Also can this be done without removing any major parts ,like the auger. Any help will be appreciated .  ED

I believe I ordered the flanges and replaced them, because mine were worn egg shaped because the PO ran the blower like this for a while, it appears. If yours aren't worn you can reuse them.

You have to remove the ends of the blower, about 8 bolts or so. Use a small floor jack or stack up wood to support the auger so it doesn't bend when you remove the end cap of the blower. Take the bolts out of the flange, remove the end, replace the bearing, install the end, repeat for the other side.

Yep, I see from my receipt above I ordered the flanges and I did replace them

Edited by WNYPCRepair

Xearl

Hey thanks for the quick reply . I guess I'll take it apart before I order parts . I hope it don't snow   {that's a joke }  No snow here in the Hudson Valley so far this year .  Two or three inches . I'm at exit 20 on the New York State Thruway . 

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
3 minutes ago, Xearl said:

Hey thanks for the quick reply . I guess I'll take it apart before I order parts . I hope it don't snow   {that's a joke }  No snow here in the Hudson Valley so far this year .  Two or three inches . I'm at exit 20 on the New York State Thruway . 

I used to go with a friend to his cabin near Ellenville in the 80s. I remember going to Ellenville for breakfast to check out the twin waitresses. :) 

• Like 1