Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

The Electro 12 is home

nylyon

Went and picked up the electro 12 previously talked about.

0101000102040103112007120944363de783c57e585b0016c3.jpg

I'll get more pictures later. Here's the interesting stuff:

23x10.50-12 rear tires different types

Original front tires

Slot hitch, I think that is original

the front bolt-on attach-a-matic hitch

It's not in the best of condition, but it has all the parts that the C-120 needs so I do think that I'm going to keep with the original plan and use this as a parts tractor. It pushed really easy, so I'm not sure of the condition of the hydro, but then again the C-120 pushed easy and its trans works great.

Engine has the carb off of it, but it does spin freely. Hood has several holes in it where something was bolted on.

All in all it's not terribly bad, but it will make a much better donor than restorer. I'll probably end up selling the parts I don't need, so if anyone needs Electro parts, just let me know.

That's all for now.... Oh it's a 1-7235 which makes it a 1968 as we suspected.

TT

I'm kinda looking for the older (smaller) PTO clutch disc, and PTO pulley assembly (everything from the transmission drive pulley out) for my '68 Raider 12, Karl. (mine has a bad electric clutch, and I already have all of the lever/bracket parts)

If you decide you don't want to keep it, I might be interested.

As far as pushing it...... Flip the fenders up and find the tow valve. It's a shaft with a roll pin through it that sticks straight up out of the pump block on the right rear side. Turn it a half turn (so the roll pin is parallel with the frame of the tractor) and see if you can push it.

The slot hitch is an accessory that would have been optional. As far as I know, these tractors came with the standard drawbar only, unless it was ordered with something more. The PTO clutch on some tractors was even an added option that cost extra, as did the front and center "speed hitches"! The electric clutch and hydraulic lift did come standard on the Electros, but, naturally, the price of the tractor reflected that. :D

CasualObserver

I've wondered about which hitch was optional... I have 4 1968 tractors... three came with slots and only one has the drawbar. :D

baerpath

Shoot Karl I have a C120 hydro parts tractor Didn't know you was looking. All I did was pull the engine and the deck off. Hydro seems alright

nylyon

Mine has the hydraulic lift as well, and those, for the most part, are the parts I needed. The bell crank, hoses a bracket were bad or missing on my C-120 and the engine has a rod knock and burns oil. I picked this one up for $50, the engine is supposed to be good, but the carb is off so it doesn't run. I plan to get it going, then use the engine, lift parts, brackets and such for the 120. Then there's those 10.50 tires.... Humm what can I do with them....

I think that the front attach-a-matic has some value, but not sure what I am going to do with that just yet.

T-Mo

Karl,

Congrats on bringing it home. As for the hydro transmission and it pushing easy, it probably does have the tow valve open. I don't know as I still not sure where mine is on my C-141 automatic (though I'm sure I do - it's just not easy to get to) :D

nylyon

Valve was closed. This push valve is nothing like the C-120, you can spin and spin it around and around. The decal is still in place so I know it's right. Like I said, I'm not really concerned, I bet that the fluid leaked down like it did on the C-120. After I get it running will be the real test. Working on that tomorrow maybe.

TT

That style valve WILL spin around and around, Karl..... It's basically just a shaft with a passage up through the bottom and out one side. Turning it 180 degrees closes it off from the hole in the pump body "beside" it, blocking the flow of oil through the bypass circuit.

WheelHorse_of_course

Actually, IIRC correctly turning it 180 degrees will do nothing. One must turn it 90 degrees :D

TT

Actually, IIRC correctly turning it 180 degrees will do nothing. One must turn it 90 degrees :D

5a928028.jpg

kpinnc

I don't know as I still not sure where mine is on my C-141 automatic (though I'm sure I do - it's just not easy to get to)

Treed, I think your C-141 has an Eaton tranny. If it has the release valve on it (some Eatons don't), it's a "push button" type on the back side of the pump. It faces straight back towards the back of the tractor. The bad thing about it is that you have to hold it in to push the tractor. It's spring loaded out, so if you let go, the tractor won't move. <_<

Kevin

Rollerman

There were a few differant variations on the Sundstrands...early ones like the one in the Electro 12 (mine did atleast) had the tow valve just ahead of the toolbox...later style's had them up near where you find the brake drum.

I don't think they used the Eatons till the C 1x5 series...I've had a few of the C1x1 series & they both had the Sundstrand piston to piston type pump.

The last model before the Eaton switch over & there strongest I'm told. :D

T-Mo

Kevin,

Stephen is right - my C-141 has the Sundstrand unit in it. I think I know where the tow valve is, but it's almost impossible to get to it. There is not an access point through the fender like the earlier C's had, like Karl's C-120. And TT mentioned the later units didn't need a wrench. Well according to the manual my C does take a wrench to turn it. There are some pictures of the area in the manuals, but they are not a good quality copies, and therefore hard to read.

TT

And TT mentioned the later units didn't need a wrench. Well according to the manual my C does take a wrench to turn it.

I believe that "no wrench" (or tools in general) only lasted until 1972, Terry.

My neighbor's 1973 12hp Automatic takes a "straight" screwdriver to open the tow valve and it is accessed from the right front side by lifting the fenders.

I was only referring to Karl's 1968 Electro, which was the tractor in question at the time.

I spent 13 "very intimate" months with my '68 Charger 12, moving and pushing it around the shop. The "original" transaxle pushed fluid out around the tow valve and I tore it apart to fix it, but couldn't. It now has the transaxle out of the '69 Charger 12 in it and it is identical.

The 1965 through "early" 1967 hydros required a wrench to open the tow relief valve, which was located on the back side of the pump block, facing the "toolbox".

It was a "needle and seat" type of valve and over-tightening it would damage it.

3b5febb2.jpg

T-Mo

TT,

I should have preface my remarks to include "unless I'm misinterpreting TT's statement". I had a feeling after I've posted that I was, thanks for clearing that up. I believe the tow valve on my C-141 takes an open end wrench to open and close it. My C-141 is also has the "tow valve instructions" decal painted over so I can't read it and the manual, like I said, is of poor quality.

TT

That wasn't for the sake of argument, Terry, it was instruction and information. As long as my camera and scanner work, and somebody on here needs help, info, or pictures that I can assist with, I'm happy to do it. :D

I was lucky enough to "inherit" the original 1965 Sundstrand manual in one of my binders (price back then was 25 cents!) and have found it more than enlightening.

kpinnc

I don't think they used the Eatons till the C 1x5 series...

Stephen, you're right. Terry, sorry about that. I had the newer C series on the brain.

Anyway, If someone has a newer "Eaton equipped" C series or 300/400/500 series auto, that's where the release valve is! :D

My one track mind derailed...

Kevin

nylyon

My Eaton doesn't have a release, to push they simply say to move the motion control lever all the way forward.

kpinnc

Yeah Karl, some don't. Go figure!

Just as well for you- It's in such a stupid spot, it's nearly useless anyway!

Kevin

Curmudgeon

I guess this is one of the reasons I've always preferred the stick. Place in neutral, and it'll roll. NUTTIN TO IT! LOL

nylyon

I prefer to drive mine :D

TT

All in all it's not terribly bad, but it will make a much better donor than restorer. I'll probably end up selling the parts I don't need, so if anyone needs Electro parts, just let me know.

Karl,

Did you decide if you could part with the PTO clutch stuff?

(no rush -- just wanted to freshen your memory.) :thumbs:

nylyon

To be honest, at the moment it is sitting in the shed. I am planning on starting on the C-120 this weekend weather permitting. The Electro is part of that plan as well, and hopefully I'll know what it's destiny is in a couple of weeks. If I do part it, he PTO parts are yours. I suppose that if I restore it (not as likely) I would want to get the electric PTO anyway, and in that case it would be yours as well.

Remind me in a couple of weeks, hopefully I'll have figures something out.

Sparky

Karl, I have an electric PTO off a Charger I had with a bum tranny. If you need one let me know.

Mike.......

nylyon

Gonna keep that one in mind :thumbs: