formariz

ANY COMPUTER GURUS OUT THERE?

WNYPCRepair

Switch it back to WEP and test. It shouldn't have any effect, but it won't hurt to test it out. 

WPA is definitely more secure, but frankly, anyone with the skills to hack WEP can probably hack WPA too. It just takes a few minutes longer

By the way, if the screensaver is the only issue you have, I would suggest turning it off anyway. There is no need for it unless you have an old CRT monitor, it isn't really needed, and is a drain on resources. Modern LCD or LED monitors do not burn in, and the screen usually goes into sleep mode anyway

formariz

2 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Switch it back to WEP and test. It shouldn't have any effect, but it won't hurt to test it out. 

WPA is definitely more secure, but frankly, anyone with the skills to hack WEP can probably hack WPA too. It just takes a few minutes longer

By the way, if the screensaver is the only issue you have, I would suggest turning it off anyway. There is no need for it unless you have an old CRT monitor, it isn't really needed, and is a drain on resources. Modern LCD or LED monitors do not burn in, and the screen usually goes into sleep mode anyway

Yes I am going to do that next and see what happens. I thought about that also just change the power scheme so the monitor goes to sleep after a set time. I am however leery that this issue is the beginning of something else. I am just trying to iron out all the kinks on this thing, before I can trust it and be comfortable with it. I am beginning to get the feeling that is not going to happen.

formariz

Well, monitor will not go into sleep mode while that condition exists. I am now trying PC for same.

DennisThornton
13 hours ago, formariz said:

90% of times I type the actual web address rather than just clicking on a link. I also have a Dell account that I log back into and I can check all previous activity related to the warranty support that verifies that I was indeed on the correct site. Although they are always gracious , cooperative and do resolve the problems eventually the issue that I have is that is very hard to understand these nice people from India. I also speak with an accent , but I have a real hard time understanding some of them. They all have been extremely polite and helpful and some always remind me to not hesitate to repeat my questions if i cannot understand them or they speak too fast. I have no issue with them, they are trying to help me and make a living. Its with companies like Dell that I have the issue with that cannot keep those jobs here . It certainly would be nice to hear an accent from the South or Mid West.

I have watched the task manager and there are always several things flickering very briefly.Its hard to pinpoint because one thing will flicker once or twice never to do it again. Something else will start. That however is the same when  the cursor condition does not exist such as after restarting unit.I have to say though, that it takes much much longer for that to happen now that I hardwired the printer. This unit has many puzzling things to me. I am running the old unit with XP next to it until I am used to this one and trust it and it behaves totally different. When not being used almost nothing ever flickers when looking at task manager . That thing is rock solid and totally reliable. Unfortunately since it is no longer supported many financial institutions I deal with have locked me out because of security issues pertaining to that. I have no choice but to change.

I am thinking that it may have something to do with router and me changing the encryption key. This never happened before that. That was the only thing it was changed. I basically do not have transferred any files or programs that i use on old unit to this unit yet. Its basically running with what it came with the exception of protection programs. Again, all was fine prior to the change in router.

Strange things have happened to me before but I can't imagine the connection to router or switching to WAP.

8 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

http://support.kaspersky.com/us/viruses/rescuedisk

Burn a rescue disk, boot from it, update, then scan your whole PC. It will take a while

I'm a major fan of Kasperski.  I tried Bit Defender and was quite happy when it ran out!

Edited by DennisThornton
i

WNYPCRepair
2 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I tried Bit Defender and was quite happy when it ran out!

Actually BitDefender is one of the best on the market, along with Kaspersky. I wish the paid version operated like the free version though. It scans and updates continuously in the background. 

Even the best antivirus in the world is no good if the user constantly cancels scans and updates

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Actually BitDefender is one of the best on the market, along with Kaspersky. I wish the paid version operated like the free version though. It scans and updates continuously in the background. 

Even the best antivirus in the world is no good if the user constantly cancels scans and updates

All the good reviews steered me away from Kaspersky for a short time only.  I've been with Kaspersky for so long perhaps I would have been happy with nothing else, but BitDefender was an absolute nightmare to install, tech support was worse and after I finally got it working without tech support's help I was still disappointed.  No more BitDefender!

WNYPCRepair
12 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

All the good reviews steered me away from Kaspersky for a short time only.  I've been with Kaspersky for so long perhaps I would have been happy with nothing else, but BitDefender was an absolute nightmare to install, tech support was worse and after I finally got it working without tech support's help I was still disappointed.  No more BitDefender!

That is what I mean, the free version is so simple it is incredible.