Sign in to follow this  
formariz

Can a broken magnet be reused?

formariz

So coming from my other thread in engines regarding re gluing flywheel magnets now the other question is if they are broken can they still be used? I have two that are broken in half.  No pieces are missing ,they go together perfectly crack becoming totally invisible. Checking polarity with them back together, it  checks out OK hence the question, are there any electrical problems from that crack, such as stator not producing current or producing reduced current. Researching it online I was only able to find two references to this issue but they merely say not to reuse them, and do not mention reason why.:unsure::unsure:

stevasaurus

Cas, I know they say not to use them, but I did put a broken one back in a "high mount" starter (for a 10 hsp Kohler) and it worked and is still working.  That video in your other thread...that guys says they are junk and you can't buy new magnets.  I say give it a shot if they fit together as good as you say.  :)

Here, hold my Madeira and watch this.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

@Save Old Iron would probably have something to say about this. 

KC9KAS

@formariz After the magnet was broke in 2 pieces, you are saying the 2 pieces went back together with out each part trying to repel the other? If they didn't repel each other, they attracted each other?

I have broken a lot of stuff, magnets being one of them, and when broken, the polarity changes to the point that the broken parts do not attract each other.

*When a magnet is broken in half, the 2 halves repel at the point it is broken, why do the poles reverse?

When a magnet is broken, the 2 halves of the magnet, when placed together, will repel each other. That is what I find in the real world. I have searched the web, and I have seen someone else ask the same question, but the answer she got was that there is no pole reversal when a magnet is broken. From my own... show more When a magnet is broken, the 2 halves of the magnet, when placed together, will repel each other. That is what I find in the real world. I have searched the web, and I have seen someone else ask the same question, but the answer she got was that there is no pole reversal when a magnet is broken. From my own experience, this is not true. One of the broken pieces has definitely undergone a pole reversal, but why? If a bar magnet is placed on the table, and the left side of the magnet labeled N, and the opposite end is labeled S. If the magnet is then broken, the piece with the label N should have a broken end that is magnetic S, and the piece with the label S should have a broken end that is magnet N. When the pieces are placed together at the point they were broken, they should attract, not repel, each other. But that is not what happens in my real life experience. They repel at the point of the break. A magnetic reversal has occurred. Why? Which piece has undergone reversal?

• Like 1

formariz

That is also what I have read. However the two halves still attract each other. When back together and tested they have still North in the center and South at the ends. Perhaps because they are curved and have different polarities in three places along them? because of that they just happen to break in the correct spot?

30 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Cas, I know they say not to use them, but I did put a broken one back in a "high mount" starter (for a 10 hsp Kohler) and it worked and is still working.  That video in your other thread...that guys says they are junk and you can't buy new magnets.  I say give it a shot if they fit together as good as you say.  :)

Here, hold my Madeira and watch this.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

@Save Old Iron would probably have something to say about this. 

How many things do you want me to hold and watch at the same time? I am holding and watching this now! Highly explosive!

IMG_4496.JPG

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

Cas, what is your option if it does not work??  :eusa-think:

formariz
14 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Cas, what is your option if it does not work??  :eusa-think:

The magnets?:huh:

I can actually buy  and replace them. I was trying to avoid the extra expense. I can also buy a used flywheel with the magnets. The odd thing is that I turned flywheel by hand when I bought it and did not hear anything. When I did same thing at home I then hear the rattle inside flywheel right away. Perhaps they all let loose on the trip home ? If I had noticed i would have gotten it cheaper for sure. Just a bit of a hassle and mad at myself for not noticing it.

• Like 1

pacer

As I mentioned in my previous post, I also re-used a broken magnet. Like yours it would 'jump' together and the crack line was practically invisible. I JB'd it back into the flywheel along with 2 replacements off another wheel and the tractor is still chugging happily along.

• Like 1

Pullstart
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 4:48 PM, formariz said:

That is also what I have read. However the two halves still attract each other. When back together and tested they have still North in the center and South at the ends. Perhaps because they are curved and have different polarities in three places along them? because of that they just happen to break in the correct spot?

How many things do you want me to hold and watch at the same time? I am holding and watching this now! Highly explosive!

IMG_4496.JPG

You headin' to the Big Show this year? 

formariz

On 2/1/2016 at 6:26 AM, pullstart said:

I am counting on it.

• Like 2

formariz

So the end result to my issue; Found new replacement magnets on eBay, cleaned flywheel  and glued all magnets back using JB Weld 2 part epoxy. Took the opportunity also to coat flywheel and highlight timing marks.

On 2/1/2016 at 6:26 AM, pullstart said:

Any one needs some tractor fuel?:hide:IMG_0075.thumb.JPG.0bbb9394df46281391579IMG_0074.thumb.JPG.1def540fe95624a06a668IMG_0076.thumb.JPG.d10c9cc19dbe3e907e84c

• Like 3