:woohoo:           Never seen one before, but now I have.  :text-coolphotos:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Can we see some more? 

• Like 3

RedRanger
3 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Can we see some more? 

It's disassembled right now.  Will follow up with photos in this thread as it goes back together.

Here's what I bought it as...  

Previous owner had bought it as a roller and installed a go-cart engine and duals.

I sold that engine as soon as I got it home and recouped most of my investment.

Rear tires are new, but the fronts did not really hold air.  Dual kit is heavy duty steel.

Transmission seems tight and smooth.  I did have to replace the input seal as it was leaking.

I'll flush the trans once I get it back together.  It has the pivoting lift hitch on the rear and I'll be adding the fixed tow hitch as well, but the pin is frozen so that'll be fun.

00k0k_hnXL0uBCFHs_600x450.jpg.8b837cf31d

I only bought the tractor because I had this sitting on a shelf.

016.thumb.jpg.70359b6ac9446b8c9e45e2d48f034.thumb.jpg.5eb3431bb1aa08759b5169e922

I was selling some Wheel Horse parts on Craig's List this summer and a guy sees my ad and calls me asking if I want to buy his Kohler engine.  He had an "old round hood Wheel Horse from the 60's some years ago" and the the tractor wore out, he said.  They scrapped the tractor but kept the engine as it was only used for a year or so before the tractor died (replacement engine-this is why it is grey).  He says runs great, should be like new, just been sitting in my garage for about 25 years.  Said he was tired of tripping over it and wanted it gone.   I said don't really have a use for it.  He said he'd take $25 for it.  I said I'll take it.  He lived about 5 miles away and delivered it to me that afternoon.  I got the engine, belt guard, starter/generator, regulator, an amp meter, and a busted up ignition switch for $25.

It was dirty on the outside.  It looked brown from decades of dust and garage grime.  The exhaust had been knocked off with a hammer.  The belt guard was full of dirt and bent up from being moved around for so many years.  The carb was full of white scale as was the fuel pump.  BUT, the engine oil was like new, when I removed the exhaust pipe the exhaust valve had no build up and looked new.  When I removed the carb the intake hole was like new as if it were just cast a couple weeks ago.  When I removed the fuel pump, the inside of the engine looks like it was just assembled and the cam looks perfect.  It turns over nice and has real good compression.  I figured any guy that once owned a Wheel Horse had to be honest.  Best I could tell from running the engine numbers is it is a replacement engine from the 1980's.

I've installed new points, plug, wire, condenser, rebuilt the carb and fuel pump. new belt, and cleaned all the electrical connections.  Can't wait to get it mounted and fired up.

This is not going to be a full restore, but a nice worker.

I've begun working on some of the parts.  Thanks to Terry the Vinyl Guy for his help on the custom decal above as well as the rest.  This is the second time I've ordered from him and can't say enough about the quality of his work.

161.thumb.jpg.a13275ffbb50e2ce03d08a7057

028.thumb.jpg.2ebfece0051b02047952d94dbf030.thumb.jpg.e4a7f417031740cb33b60e09d0

Thanks to Glen Pettit for his plastic bits.  He included this cool key tag with my order.

018.thumb.jpg.5d94524ca4d7471af687b403ed568f501023ae6_020(2).thumb.jpg.5fad2a1ec

Everyday is like Christmas when you're working on a Wheel Horse.

568f5020ea402_021(2).thumb.jpg.30d2f908a568f50bbed3f4_024(2).thumb.jpg.ace0fee36

I wasn't super happy when the green belt showed up.

568f50cd72218_025(2).thumb.jpg.50d10d26f

The original fuel bowl was not worth fixing.026.thumb.jpg.0871519b5b08038b3b21c37db9

Next step is to attack the steering.  Needs a flanged bushing up high to support the steering shaft and a bushing up front to control the center shaft end play.  Once I fix that then I can start putting it back together.

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 8

JPWH

So thats how to do it. Buy a nice motor then wait for a nice little horse to come along.lol

Nice looking tractor can't wait to see it finished. 

• Like 4

Jake Kuhn

Looks like your making some nice progress finding parts for it! That engine was 1 great find! 1 tip of advice I thought I would give you is you might want to look for 1 of the shorter air cleaners off a 4 or 7 horse kohler. The 8hp will hit the hood, so the 854 which is the only round hood to use the 8 horse has a little longer hood than all the others.

• Like 3

Mr. 856

Great project. Do you mind sharing where you got the fuel bowl from?

• Like 1

RedRanger
1 hour ago, Mr. 856 said:

Great project. Do you mind sharing where you got the fuel bowl from?

Ebay.  There are a few different styles.  This one matches exactly what was on the tractor.  All the parts look interchangeable.

It was listed as a new old stock unit.

It looks to be old.  I don't think it's Chinese or Taiwan.

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 1

RedRanger
2 hours ago, Jake Kuhn said:

Looks like your making some nice progress finding parts for it! That engine was 1 great find! 1 tip of advice I thought I would give you is you might want to look for 1 of the shorter air cleaners off a 4 or 7 horse kohler. The 8hp will hit the hood, so the 854 which is the only round hood to use the 8 horse has a little longer hood than all the others.

Jake-

You are 100% correct.  We were actually discussing this in another thread last week.

I found this out when I mocked it all up.

I had a spare NOS 4-7 HP air filter element that I installed. 

This allows the filter housing to slide in closer to the carb, actually passed the filter base.

Notice the thread rod sticking out so far in the above pics.

I think this will work until I find a shorter 7HP cover.

Still plenty of clearance around the base to allow air flow and it just misses the choke lever.

I can't imagine that the smaller 7HP filter will negatively affect the 8HP engine for just one HP.

Figured I look for a 7hp filter cover in the future as I don't see them being that readily available.

Good Call!  

Also-Thanks for the foot clutch controls and quick hitch.

They've been blasted and painted and installed on this tractor already.

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 1

RedRanger

I'd also love to find a HL-5 Headlight kit for this if someone has one or knows where I should look.

Thanks!

AMC RULES

PM'd you a link. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Good looking project you've got going there...     :handgestures-thumbsup:

if you hurry up, would make for the perfect addition to this years big :wh: show in PA. 

This years featured tractor is "customs"...

http://www.wheelhorsecc.com/

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/13-wheel-horse-collectors-club-show/

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/152-2015-whcc-show-pictures/

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

RedRanger
27 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Good looking project you've got going there...     :handgestures-thumbsup:

if you hurry up, would make for the perfect addition to this years big :wh: show in PA. 

This years featured tractor is "customs"...

http://www.wheelhorsecc.com/

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/13-wheel-horse-collectors-club-show/

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/152-2015-whcc-show-pictures/

I'm kicking around the idea of a road trip to PA.  Not sure if my schedule will allow it yet.

AMC RULES

Would be nice to see you there...:greetings-wavingyellow:

you'll definitely regret it if you miss it. 

• Like 1

squonk

Where did you source the headlights? 

• Like 1

RedRanger
6 hours ago, squonk said:

Where did you source the headlights? 

Ebay.  AMC turned me on to them.

PMCO 401

$115 shipped.

I fabbed the bracket for about $5.  Bench vise, Mapp Gas, drill and tap & die.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

OH sure...  :ychain:

go ahead, blame it on me.

• Like 1

RedRanger
2 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

OH sure...  :ychain:

go ahead, blame it on me.

It's ALL your fault!  :ychain:

Thank you!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Well, since the cats out now...      :text-thankyoublue:

might as well add these to your search list too.

"antique back up lights"

"vintage reverse lights"

• Like 1

RedRanger
7 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Well, since the cats out now...      :text-thankyoublue:

might as well add these to your search list too.

"antique back up lights"

"vintage reverse lights"

Don't worry, this is a private conversation.  Nobody's watching.  :unsure:

For all you guys hoarding your OEM HL-5 kits, the investment value might fall now.

I drilled and tapped the lower cross bracket plate for the two mounting bolts as well, so it was easier to mount and remove.

The original ones had the bolts upside down and the heads welded to the cross bracket.

I'm sure some of the experts around here could see the obvious differences between mine and an original, but 95% of us would not know the difference.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I think the lights look great.

• Like 1

RedRanger

Instant patina, in about 1 hour.

Peroxide, white vinegar, and salt dilution.

005.jpeg

011.jpg012.jpg013.jpg015.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Also, once it's taken down to bare metal...  :dunno:

the same results can be achieved naturally, just by leaving it sit outside for a week or so.  

RedRanger

Assembled and running!  Engine runs like new.  Nice and tight.  Sounds awesome!  I do have a fuel pump issue, but I'll work through that.

No longer an accidental wheel stander either.  :wh:

Kind of a rat rod look.

All new fasteners, new battery, new wiring, new switches, new lights, new front tires, bushed steering, polished steering wheel, replaced seat, added rear hitch, added quick mid hitch, flushed gear box, new belt, new points and plugs, fresh carb, and an oil rub.

Amazing how time consuming these things are.

024.jpg027.jpg038.jpg040.jpg029.jpg

045.jpg031.jpg

026.jpg

• Like 5