LFoD

Ready to buy my 1st but ...

stevebo

I got a steal on my 522 xi with loader and power steering along with deck, weight box, dual tires, and front plow. I have to say even though I have a terramite (mini loader and backhoe) I find myself using the xi all the time. The key is the power steering imo. I can have a full load in the box and turn the wheel with my finger.

IMG_1473.JPG

• Like 5

WHX??

Must you torment us Stevebo with such nice tractors???:ychain:

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
3 hours ago, Ken B said:

I have run across many guys like him thru the yrs. and I would be willing to be bet that he really doesn't need the money. He probably doesn't use it enough anymore to warrant him keeping it. He might also be the original owner, if he is I'm sure he remembers what he paid for it when new. (a whole bunch) He has probably done his home work to come up with a fair price for it and refuses to let it go for less than fair market value. If you do go look at it you will have to pay as much attention to the seller and his surroundings as you do the tractor to get a real feel for him before you offer him less as he has made himself extremely clear about firmness. When some guys say they are firm they are so full of it but when some guys say they are firm you better believe it and if you offer less there is the chance of pissing him off and blowing the deal. The real trick is to try and figure out the one's who are really firm.  Don't get me wrong, I love the chase and the art of the deal but thru the yrs. I've learned each buy/guy needs to be treated differently.. I know thru the years I have sold PLENTY of items and some of them I have expressed firmness in my advertisement. I can recall a guy that came to look at a boat I was selling. He saw the boat and his eyes were popping out of his head he wanted it so bad. He knew I was very firm as I told him at least 3 times over the phone and twice in person and yet he was stuck on trying to give me 500 less for it which I refused. He was trying all the flashing the cash tricks and all that, I wasn't amused. He told me he would have to think about it and would get back to me and he went on his Merry way. Meanwhile I got another call from a guy ten minutes away. He came to my house and was thrilled at what he saw and paid me my price. Well, the first guy never told me he was coming back to my house and when he got their he was pissed to see that a deal had been closed. He told me he drove two hours to come see the boat and that I wasted his time. Really?:scratchead: 

Yes, I would only use my method if you really have a price you don't want to exceed and are willing to walk away without it if your price is too low, and you understand it may shut down negotiations. If you think it is worth the asking price, you are willing to pay the asking price, and the seller is firm, then I would say just buy it.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
15 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Get one of those little cash envelopes the banks give out, put what you want to spend in that, and a couple of hundred in one back pocket, the rest in the other back pocket, as 953 Nut said. Look it over, drive it, be sure it is worth what you wanted to pay, and then say you are interested, but with the issues you have, if you are firm at $2800, I guess I'll have to pass (while pulling out the envelope). Hold the envelope and say I've got $xxxx here, and I am ready to take it with me if you are interested. 

so now you can pull the $200

This worked for me about a year ago Brian.

I was looking for a 19' Carolina Skiff to replace the 24' WAC Trophy I had just sold.

I ran one with a 50HP Honda to $7000 at an auction and left it go , and the next week saw one on CL for $4000.  Same year but with a 70HP Johnson.

Called the guy and arranged to meet him in 2 hours.   Stopped at the bank and got 40 - 100$ bills.  Left 30 in the envelope and put 10 in my pocket.

The boat was nicer than the one I bid up to 7K . It came with a new spare prop and a custom made heavy cover.

After the demo, I laid the envelope with the 3K  on the deck and told him  I'd take it.    He hummed a bit and said 3500.    I took the 3K off the deck as I shook his hand and handed him the 3K as I said...OK, I'll split the diff with you....3250.   He said OK and was happy.    I was pleased to get the boat I wanted for less than half what I almost paid the week before.

Of course everyone knows.... 

The two best days of a boat owners life is the day he buys one and the day he sells it.

• Like 5

WNYPCRepair

The day I sold mine was a great day, LOL

WNYPCRepair
2 hours ago, ekennell said:

This worked for me about a year ago Brian.

I was looking for a 19' Carolina Skiff to replace the 24' WAC Trophy I had just sold.

I ran one with a 50HP Honda to $7000 at an auction and left it go , and the next week saw one on CL for $4000.  Same year but with a 70HP Johnson.

Called the guy and arranged to meet him in 2 hours.   Stopped at the bank and got 40 - 100$ bills.  Left 30 in the envelope and put 10 in my pocket.

The boat was nicer than the one I bid up to 7K . It came with a new spare prop and a custom made heavy cover.

After the demo, I laid the envelope with the 3K  on the deck and told him  I'd take it.    He hummed a bit and said 3500.    I took the 3K off the deck as I shook his hand and handed him the 3K as I said...OK, I'll split the diff with you....3250.   He said OK and was happy.    I was pleased to get the boat I wanted for less than half what I almost paid the week before.

Of course everyone knows.... 

The two best days of a boat owners life is the day he buys one and the day he sells it.

The reason I know this works. :)

I used to sell cars for a living for a couple of years before I was promoted to manager. I had an old guy walk in wanting to buy a used Cadillac. He made some crazy offer like half what we were asking. I told him that was way less than we owned the car, and I was willing to negotiate but he needed to face reality, the price was going to have to be pretty close to what we were asking. He kept raising his price some ridiculous amount, like $100 a shot, and after 4 or five of those, I was getting pissed, and told him we were just way too far apart, and that maybe he should look at cars elsewhere. I was convinced he was just jerking me around, which you would be surprised how often that happens. People would negotiate for an hour or two, come to an agreement, then say they had to think it over. 

He stood up, and said, well, if you don't want my money, I'll go elsewhere. I hadn't noticed it before, but he picked his checkbook up off the desk, and I knew I had screwed up, he was serious and had his checkbook out already, he was ready to buy. I quickly backtracked, and we finally did come to an agreement, and he bought the car. I ended up actually liking the guy, after I didn't have to negotiate with him any more, LOL.  

The moral of the story is, once the money is on the table, the seller has a hard time walking away from it. A bird in hand, and all that. :) 

• Like 3

LFoD
8 hours ago, stevebo said:

I got a steal on my 522 xi with loader and power steering along with deck, weight box, dual tires, and front plow. I have to say even though I have a terramite (mini loader and backhoe) I find myself using the xi all the time. The key is the power steering imo. I can have a full load in the box and turn the wheel with my finger.

You ... want to sell that beautiful thing?  Cause I just fell in love ...

• Like 4

WHX??
4 minutes ago, LFoD said:

You ... want to sell that beautiful thing?  Cause I just fell in love ...

This place will do that to ya...:lol: Just remember the 11th commandment...thou shall not covet thy neigbors Wheel Horse!!!.. drooling on it is perfectly acceptable!

Edited by WHX6
  • Like 4

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Happens to me...

everytime I see one of these. 

drool droolpost-3498-0-71803200-1371959151_thumb.jp

• Like 6

DennisThornton

A very quick 2 cents, OK maybe 1 cent.

I think most will agree that what you are/were looking at is not a steal, maybe a decent buy, but not something that won't come up again.  Guys!  Correct me if I am wrong!  I know you have to pounce on a "steal", but bargains come along from time to time, and perhaps you have some time?

You might consider chatting more with us about what you are hoping to do.  I long ago stopped thinking about one machine that would do it all and WHs and their attachments are bountiful enough to help me have more than one tractor equipped to do more than one job.  I have a 417 and for some reason still want a 520, even though I also have 2 larger 52Xxi's but still want a D-200 and that 520 with loader!  But I wait, and I digress.  If you have time, tell us more about what you want to do and we just might be able to share a few things with you...

• Like 1

stevebo
5 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:text-yeahthat: Happens to me...

everytime I see one of these. 

drool droolCraig- The one on the left looks familiar ....

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
6 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

A very quick 2 cents, OK maybe 1 cent.

I think most will agree that what you are/were looking at is not a steal, maybe a decent buy, but not something that won't come up again.  Guys!  Correct me if I am wrong!  I know you have to pounce on a "steal", but bargains come along from time to time, and perhaps you have some time?

You might consider chatting more with us about what you are hoping to do.  I long ago stopped thinking about one machine that would do it all and WHs and their attachments are bountiful enough to help me have more than one tractor equipped to do more than one job.  I have a 417 and for some reason still want a 520, even though I also have 2 larger 52Xxi's but still want a D-200 and that 520 with loader!  But I wait, and I digress.  If you have time, tell us more about what you want to do and we just might be able to share a few things with you...

True. The loader is the only part that interests me. I am old and need to move a lot of dirt and mulch. Otherwise, there are plenty of horses out there and a wide variety of implements available. Unless you REALLY need the loader, there are plenty of other approaches to what you want to do

cheesegrader

I have 4 520's, one with the kwik-way loader.

It is only good to #500 max.  Great for mulch, loose dirt, gravel...

Not really heavy enough to do much ground engagement.

I think you would get many of your chores done with a mid-mount grader or tiller.

I love the loader, and use mine a ton.  It is a pain to take off, and I would not be happy if it was my only tractor.

I think the price is fair, if it is in good shape.

For me, the following would be deal brakers:

Low compression on the rear cylinder

Frame cracks near the mount to the rear end

poor hydro performance when at running temp.  Very important to check on a loader, especially one known to leak!

Price would also go down for:

dry rot on tires

leaking/worn hydro systems--on the loader OR the original ram system

Electrical issues

Rust

You will end up spending money on:

Hydro pedal, decks, blades, hitches, snowthrower

I found it cheaper and easier to get another tractor with a bunch of implements.

If I was going to do it all over again, I would use my 520's for everything else, and get a heavier loader than the 520.

Not that I don't love it, but a couple times a year I find myself wishing it was bigger

• Like 2

roadapples

This topic is getting a lot of miles. And I can`t disagree with anything others have said. But I like my loader. I have a snow blower and a plow and didn`t use either one last year. If the snow is too wet to blow or too deep to plow I can still use the loader. Ideally it would be nice to have a tractor for each attachment and some do. Good tractors can be bought for a few hundred $. A place to keep them gets a lot more expensive. I`m up to seven myself now but if I could only have two, it would be one with a mowing deck and my loader tractor. The loader may not be ideal for every job but you can do more with it than any other single attachment. At least that I can think of at the moment. What ever you decide, the main thing is enjoy the seat time on your  "new" Wheel Horse.

• Like 3

AMC RULES
10 hours ago, stevebo said:

Why sure it does Steve...   :confusion-shrug:

that's my "dibs" tractor, remember?

IMG_0346.thumb.JPG.25407686ab727e2b41fdb 

• Like 5

WHX??

:text-yeahthat: looks like fun.....nickel a ride??.....

LFoD

So I saw it come up a few times. 

Here is kind of an overview of what I have going on in my head ... besides eating breakfast today ... 

1. I have about 3/4 of an acre of land now to work with. 

2. I have to move a LOT of dirt and rock and gravel around to make this land workable

3. I am going to have to have some dirt delievered for sure which means MORE dirt to move around ... 

4. It's winter and its gonna snow and right now I have one shovel ... driveway is weird.  roughly 60-75' long and double wide, with one pulloff area to the right which is also triple wide and 2 car lengths (guessing measures about 20x30)

5. There are a lot of leavs and pine needles that I want to set on fire ...

6. I have a push mower but that isn't a tractor, but it works and I don't even have a lawn at this point

7. I have to rebuild a retaining wall too ..

8. i want a freakin tractor because now I am addicted to the idea of having one

• Like 8

roadapples

Just one ?

• Like 7

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I could go for a loader myself one day. right now the number 1 job is of course mowing the lawn. then job 2 is snow duty. but with a 500 ft driveway the snowblower is the way to go. I have blades for back up if needed. The loader wouldnt do much. but I could find an occasional chore for it. I have 5 tractors. want more. BUT storage becomes the issue. as it becomes an issue with attachments. you will see. right after you buy your first one. then your second. then your third. then your 4th. get it. lol oh. forgot to mention leave duty. thats another big job. but once a year anyway. best of luck to you.

Glenn

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse
On 1/7/2016 at 10:05 AM, ekennell said:

You got a lot of good info above, but I'll add my :twocents-02cents:.       I would not consider swapping a mower deck and FEL on a tractor twice every year.  And I don't think you would be happy using  a FEL for your only snow removal tractor.     Prices for decks vary.   I have 7 decks 36" to 60"  for sale.  $50 -$600 depending on size and condition.

If you really need a FEL to maintain your property,  go for it,  But I would plan on buying another tractor with a mowing deck and blower or push blade.

Oh, :text-welcomeconfetti:

He has the WH addiction next he will need plans for the WH horse barn. 

• Like 5

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

BUT storage becomes the issue. as it becomes an issue with attachments.

Yes, the storage rack for decks I am building is evidence of that. I need a barn, but the rack will have to do for now.

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

There is any easy fix for attachment storage , buy more WH tractors and leave the attachments on the tractors.

• Like 5

WNYPCRepair
30 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

There is any easy fix for attachment storage , buy more WH tractors and leave the attachments on the tractors.

That is why I really need a barn. :) 

• Like 1

LFoD

One thing I am ahead on ... I just got a HUGE barn.  I'll get some pics up when I can.  Lofted storage, garage door, building a ramp for it ASAP, right now it houses a different kind of toy but there is room for probably 2-3 ponies!  LOL

Edited by LFoD
  • Like 3

WHX??

Only 2-3??? :wacko:

• Like 2