LFoD

Ready to buy my 1st but ...

LFoD

Hey all.  So I finally live in a place with some land, and thus I could really use a tractor.  I came across this forum while scouring google for information and wow ... you guys have got it together big time! 

I think I found a good deal on a WH 520-H even though its a bit of a drive from me.  They are asking for 2800 and it has a KwikWay loader on it. ~450 hours on it.   I just want to make sure I end up with a good machine and don't get taken for a ride. (Ha ... puns ... I make them!) 

I have not seen it in person only in photos and those aren't trying to hide anything from what I can tell.  They are including new agricultural tires, new 4 ply front tires, and a weight box. They mentioned the KwikWay having a 350 pound capacity? Also told me it has the 20 HP Onan engine, hydrostatic transmission, a swept forward axle, hydraulic lift, gas gauge, and full instrumentation.

I am finding out if they have a mowing deck.  They also mentioned having non-agricultural 4 ply tires for the rear and I think they only want $100 for them it seems.  

So my dilemmas ...

Is it worth the money? Or is it a bit too much?

If they don't have a mow deck how much will I be dropping on one?

Is it really good for snow like they said?  I have a lot of snow, dirt, and gravel to move around here so this seems ideal if they really do work well for it like they said they do.

Should I bother with the $100 non-agricultural tires?

Anything else I should know before I jump into this?

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:dunno: Lower hrs...yeah,  :WRS:

but still seems a bit on the steep side to me.

nylyon

The 520H is a top of the line Wheel Horse.  $2800 in my opinion is the upper end, but it's an excellent machine.  Assuming it's in good condition, it will serve you well.  That machine will take anywhere from 36" deck to 60" deck and the price for that will vary, but can be found pretty easily.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:WRS:

You are on the right site. Others way more knowing then I will give you great feedback...

Good luck!

LFoD

I haven't gotten as far as trying to negotiate price with them but what would an acceptable range be? 

Let's assume no mowing deck with it since none in pictures. 

This is an album of photos ... maybe that will also help figure this out with me

WHX??

Would be really helpful if you could  cut & paste some pics here. Lots of 520 pros lurking about here will help you evaluate. Don't be in a hurry as for that price it might be for sale for awhile.

Oh and :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Edited by WHX6
add

LFoD

That link didn't work? 

This uploader is fancy!  I like it!

00g0g_IBeGkAwaNN_600x450.jpg

00O0O_ec5mOdN8rIX_600x450.jpg

00606_OgKvB0gY57_600x450.jpg

00707_kpjd2kK4Iox_600x450.jpg

01616_cKk9e8PgfsE_600x450.jpg

01616_hycYn44yrRg_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Nice looking unit there...   :greetings-clapyellow:

but, about a bazillion factors will go into estimating the value of this paticular :wh: setup.  

The two biggies being...

how's it been maintained, then...any flexibility in the price. 

Then...there is the Onan powerplant which can be sticky point for many buyers too. 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Assuming the tractor and loader are mechanically sound, around here it would definitely bring that with a deck, without one, it still might. 

But in the end, all that matters is what is it worth to you. 

• Like 3

nylyon

Take a look.  Things to look for:

• Any cracking between where the frame mounts to the rear axle
  • Excessive play in the steering
  • Excessive play in the motion control lever
  • Full forward speed
  • Full reverse speed
  • Engine idles smoothly
  • Runs at full throttle smoothly

And of course the general things like rust, missing parts (that year may have come with arm rests on the seat).  Looks like they have the front hub caps, how about the rears? 

Price is a relative thing, as I said before, in my opinion it's on the upper end of what I would expect to pay, but I paid more than that for my 416-H (of course it was new :) )

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Here's another nice one for your consideration/comparison. :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

LFoD

I've been going back and forth between a tractor, atv with a plow, or a side by side with a plow and I think the loader is a huge bonus for me if it allows me to go at snow, dirt, rocks etc.  I've driven a couple tractors this size before but never with a loader.  Mostly just mowing the lawn for my friend's wife because "OMG tractor!" but now I have a place of my own and a ton of work to do.  I failed at getting this taken care of before winter hit so that is also limiting my options it seems. 

nylyon

But no loader!

WHX??

The biggies being how many hrs and how well maintained. For instance was it babied or rode hard and put away wet. Good condition 1000 for the tractor 1500 for the FEL maybe a little more for the fel. Fel setups  are not cheap these days. Every area is different but I just paid 1875 for a '94 with 576 hrs, a tiller, 48inch deck, snow blower, lawn vac and generator. Also keep in mine what its gonna cost for improvements once ya get it home.....tire chains, Matt's pedal kit, maintenance items...

Edited by WHX6
add
  • Like 3

LFoD
1 minute ago, AMC RULES said:

Here's another nice one for your consideration/comparison. :handgestures-thumbsup:

You read my mind.  I saw it and posted.  I have a trailer dilemma getting that from CT to NH though. 

It has no front end loader but it does have a SNOWBLOWER!!!!

How do I even begin to compare these lol. 

3 minutes ago, WHX6 said:

The biggies being how many hrs and how well maintained. For instance was it babied or rode hard and put away wet. Good condition 1000 for the tractor 1500 for the FEL maybe a little more for the fel. Fel setups  are not cheap these days. Every area is different but I just paid 1875 for a '94 with 576 hrs, a tiller, 48inch deck, snow blower, lawn vac and generator.

Holy ... $crap! That would be amazing if I could find something like that here.  It would do literally EVERYTHING I need expect maybe the dirt moving.  So many leaves around here in Fall ... and Spring ...

AMC RULES

Remember these loaders are light duty...

not intended to carry crazy heavy loads.  

Where in New Hampster are you located? 

Edited by AMC RULES

nylyon

In my opinion, the one in our Classifieds is a super clean machine, but the loader :drool:  You can always get a blower later, or even another machine with a blower (most of us have more than one!)

• Like 4

LFoD
3 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Remember these loaders are light duty...

not intended to carry crazy heavy loads.  

Where in New Hampster are you located? 

I am in Plaistow/Kingston area. 

I wouldn't be doing anything too crazy with it.  I am looking to probably just backfill some spots and level others off, make a nice lawn, and do up a veggie garden come spring time.  Right now its all about the snow too.  So all around it would be way more useful than the other options overall. 

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Loaders are few and far between here, which is the only reason I think it might fetch that much around here. 

As far as trailer issues, U-haul has a really nice trailer that is pretty cheap to rent. :)

• Like 2

MalMac

All of the replys are all good info, around here that price is in the ball park. Any kind of tractor with a FEL on it around here is bringing premium price. Loaders are always in demand so they demand a good price. Sure there are deals out there for less. They are few and far between though. If it's something you need now and checks out ok and there is maybe some room price negotiations, I would not wait. Like said tractors with FEL won't last long. They get snatched up.

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair
5 minutes ago, MalMac said:

All of the replys are all good info, around here that price is in the ball park. Any kind of tractor with a FEL on it around here is bringing premium price. Loaders are always in demand so they demand a good price. Sure there are deals out there for less. They are few and far between though. If it's something you need now and checks out ok and there is maybe some room price negotiations, I would not wait. Like said tractors with FEL won't last long. They get snatched up.

Yeah, I would definitely try him on. Offer low, see what he says. That is how I ended up with a New Holland GT22, I figured he would hang up on me. I made him a crazy offer and he said yes. I think the fact it was right before Christmas helped, as soon as he got the money, his wife was waiting in the truck to go Christmas shopping. 

• Like 3

WHX??

Loaders around here guys are a dime a dozen but usually not the best best of shape and still command a good price. Custom made ctc.Com loader for a 520 is at least 3500+. If he was in my backyard I would start at 24 and dicker from there. Would be nice to kick tires first tho.

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair
3 minutes ago, WHX6 said:

Loaders around here guys are a dime a dozen but usually not the best best of shape and still command a good price. Custom made ctc.Com loader for a 520 is at least 3500+. If he was in my backyard I would start at 24 and dicker from there. Would be nice to kick tires first tho.

I would start lower, and in person while kicking tires is best

• Like 3

roadapples

My tractor with FEL is a lot older than that and I wouldn`t take double what it`s worth. There too handy and too hard to find. Just my opinion..And welcome to Red Square

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

you might consider a compression test. just to check. you might consider to keep looking for a 5xi. Imho. the loader is strictly light duty. the onan is very strong with plenty if torque. BUT if sonething goes south on it VERY pricey for parts etc. Would like to see a shot of the hour meter. sometimes the numbers dont seem to jive. as in line up. good luck.

Glenn

• Like 2