Sign in to follow this  
Banjo

8 inch front Tire and Spindle Upgrade

Banjo

Hi everyone, I appreciate this site. Thanks!

One of my Wheel Horse's (LOL) is a 1985 310-8 with the standard 6" front wheels and tires.

I have read about a somewhat common and desirable upgrade to 8" front wheels and tires but I cannot find anywhere that specifies exactly what spindles I would need. I understand I need shorter spindles if I want to prevent the front of the tractor being higher.

What model tractor spindles do I need?

Thank You,

Banjo

TT

Welcome aboard, "Banjo"!

I converted my 1986 312A to 8" front wheels by using the spindles and rims/tires from a 1982 GT1100 Workhorse. (I also changed my 1990 416H to 8" front wheels but didn't change the spindles.)

I'm thinking that the later C series tractors (C- X1/XX1 or C - X5/XX5) tractors built from 1978 to 1984 should be good donors, as would any of the OEM equipped 300/400/500 series tractors with 3/4" spindles and 8" wheels. (The 520 models with the swept forward axle have 1" spindles which WILL NOT interchange)

There's a possibility you could use spindles from the 1973 to 1977 C series tractors, but I would need to go outside and look to be certain.

Sparky

If your running a 37" side discharge deck be careful as the 6" front wheels were put to on maintain clearance between the tire and the non-discharge side of the deck.

Mike........

• Like 1

Banjo

Thanks guys. I have the 42" side discharge deck.

Sounds like I could probably get away without changing the spindles too. I assume when doing this I could use the deck adjustments to make the deck "level" no matter what size wheels I have?

One more question...is the main reason for the 8" wheel upgrade for "looks" or is there some other advantage?

TT

As Mike stated, I think the main reason they went to a 15" tall tire on the 6" rim was the clearance issue with the 37" 2 blade mower deck. I had a 37" deck on a GT1100 with the 16" tall ribbed tread tires and it was CLOSE, but it didn't rub.

84ac4c58.jpg

I would still change the spindles because the longer ones are weaker. I had the snowthrower hooked on my 312 so I could load it easier when I bought it. The front end bounced across a tree root and it actually bent the spindle a little! :P

That's also an ideal time to clean the spindle bores in the axle (remove the grease fittings first) and get some new grease in there.

Edited: I put 13" tall tire by mistake. :D

Banjo

I think that improved strength on the shorter spindle is an important factor and advantage to this upgrade for those considering it, thank you.

You also just made me realize I ommited an important factor in my original post, the actual tire size!

I have the factory front 15" High tire x 6" wide x 6" tall rim

Setting aside the idea of upgrading to shorter spindles for the moment...

Theoretically, I could just increase the front rim size to 8" and get 15" high tires and it would not make the front end any taller, right?

If I was not going to upgrade the spindles, I would think about doing this upgrade to front and back tires-wheels:

ORIGINAL FRONTS

15" High tire x 6" wide x 6" rim

NEW FRONTS

16" High tire x 6" wide x 8" rim = 1" higher in front

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL REARS

22" High tire x 7.5" wide x 12" rim

NEW REARS

23" High tire x 10.5" wide x 12" rim = 1" higher in rear.

Theoretically a level upgrade, correct?

One more thing, the stock rear tires look thin at 7.5" wide. Although these stock tires do anything I want... we are tinkerers LOL and the wider and taller proposed rear tires would look better, BUT, would they rub the back fenders do you think?

Thanks Again!

Banjo

As Mike stated, I think the main reason they went to a 13" tall tire on the 6" rim was the clearance issue with the 37" 2 blade mower deck. I had a 37" deck on a GT1100 with the 16" tall ribbed tread tires and it was CLOSE, but it didn't rub.

84ac4c58.jpg

I would still change the spindles because the longer ones are weaker. I had the snowthrower hooked on my 312 so I could load it easier when I bought it. The front end bounced across a tree root and it actually bent the spindle a little!

TT

You won't have fender clearance issues -- 520's have used up to 23-10.50 X 12 rear tires from the factory, as did the GT1848 models of the Workhorse by Wheel Horse tractors.

Going from 15" tall to 16" tall front tires will gain an additional 1/2 inch of tire the whole way around. You have a 42" deck anyhow, so there's no clearance issues there either.

TT

The tread also looks like the "Agricultural" tread I have on my 310-8 front from the factory.

Some folks say that those tires look like they belong on an airplane. :D

nylyon

Welcome aboard, I have nothing to add but a welcome :D

Rollerman

I want to say welcome too :D

But want to add ...I've always found the taller 8" rim front tires steer lighter than the smaller 6" rim/tire combo :P

T-Mo

Banjo,

Welcome to the site. I'm glad you found us. I have a 314-8 which has the 16 x 8 fronts and 23 x 12 rears and that's the way it came out of the factory. I would think you can get the tires and rims you're referring to without any clearance issues.

Banjo

Thanks for the help and welcomes everybody! Much appreciated. :D

kpinnc

I put 8 inch wheels on my 310-8, used the spindles that came on it with no problems:

IM000189-2.jpg

Doesn't look like a 310-8, but it is. model number 01-10K804.

Just used newer decals when I went through it.

Kevin

TT

It might not look like a 310, but it SURE LOOKS GOOD! :D

combatmp29r

Very Nice Kevin :D

The diamond plate foot boards are a nice touch.

MaineDad

I was lucky. My 1996 314-8 came with the rear AG's and the 8" fronts with the heavy duty front spindle upgrade. The HD spindles are no longer made and hard to find.

LowAngle.jpg

kpinnc

Thanks for the compliments fellas! I LOVE my 310!

As far as pros/cons of larger front wheels- I know my 310 had the 6 inch wheels on it back in 1997 when we actually had a good snow. I took the tractor to move a load of wood, and the front tires wouldn't even spin. The snow was about 8 to 10 inches deep, and the front tires just slid through it. It looked like I had front brakes and they were stuck. The bigger wheels did do quite a bit better.

Snow down here (if we ever get any) is really heavy and icy. No powder down this way! Don't know if that makes a difference or not...

And I agree with Stephen. 8 inch wheels definately steer with less effort.

Nice 314 too, Micah

Kevin

Banjo

I put 8 inch wheels on my 310-8, used the spindles that came on it with no problems:

IM000189-2.jpg

Doesn't look like a 310-8, but it is. model number 01-10K804.

Just used newer decals when I went through it.

Kevin

Very Nice, that is look I am going for on my 310-8. :D

Banjo

I was lucky. My 1996 314-8 came with the rear AG's and the 8" fronts with the heavy duty front spindle upgrade. The HD spindles are no longer made and hard to find.

LowAngle.jpg

Why, OH WHYYYYYYY??? would they stop making the Heavy Duty Spindles! :D

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Banjo

Thanks for the compliments fellas! I LOVE my 310!

As far as pros/cons of larger front wheels- I know my 310 had the 6 inch wheels on it back in 1997 when we actually had a good snow. I took the tractor to move a load of wood, and the front tires wouldn't even spin. The snow was about 8 to 10 inches deep, and the front tires just slid through it. It looked like I had front brakes and they were stuck. The bigger wheels did do quite a bit better.

Snow down here (if we ever get any) is really heavy and icy. No powder down this way! Don't know if that makes a difference or not...

And I agree with Stephen. 8 inch wheels definately steer with less effort.

Nice 314 too, Micah

Kevin

So far we have the following advantages to the 8" front wheel upgrade from the 6" :

1. Steers easier

2. Looks Cool

3. Your front tires are less likely to SKID in heavy snow! LOL

kpinnc

Ok, I'll take that one with a smile...

Guess I should've said larger diameter wheels will roll up over soft surfaces (mud, snow, roadkill, elephant doo-doo) instead of burying themselves in it.

Now that I read my previous post, it did sound kinda stupid... :D

Kevin

Rollerman

Kevin I think you may have ment PA Hippo doo-doo. :D

Going to my parents tommorrow...I'll get a pic of his 310-8 with the larger tires front & back & add to the thread.

He didn't care for the silver rims & wanted the vintage off white coler too.

So Banjo...add more color choices to your list too.

Banjo

Ok, I'll take that one with a smile...

Guess I should've said larger diameter wheels will roll up over soft surfaces (mud, snow, roadkill, elephant doo-doo) instead of burying themselves in it.

Now that I read my previous post, it did sound kinda stupid... :P

Kevin

No Not Stupid at all. It's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

You had a unique answer that I appreciate and I was not trying to minimize the importance of it.

Thanks Again :D

Banjo

Kevin I think you may have ment PA Hippo doo-doo. :D

Going to my parents tommorrow...I'll get a pic of his 310-8 with the larger tires front & back & add to the thread.

He didn't care for the silver rims & wanted the vintage off white coler too.

So Banjo...add more color choices to your list too.

I do like that vintage off-white color as well but I am personally probably going to keep with the gray on the 1985 and then always wonder how nice the off-white would look!