KyBlue

Tragedy Struck

KyBlue

Just wanted to take a minute and post up and fill everybody in (if anybody is interested)

The morning of Dec 11th, there was a outlet that shorted out in my home. Because of the construction methods used in Modular homes, it spread, easily. I'm thankful that there were neighbors who caught it early but the damage is ... extreme. The house and everything in it, are a total loss.  I did loose all of my WH collectable(s) as well as my manuals for everything that I've been picking up here and there over the years ... It's quite devastating to say the least ... I'm going to try and link pictures (I'm a bit rusty - too used to being on a tablet)

The Kitchen & Dining Room

1211151711a_zps8zxuauxu.jpg

What's Left of my CD's, DVD's, Blu-Ray Disc's as well as Partial entertainment Center (it was a 70 year old China Cabinet)
1211151709_zpsoh43jshz.jpg

My electronics from the living room, thrown out through the front wall
1211151708a_zpspgjnjyfq.jpg

Looking into the living room
1211151156_HDR_zpsc8sfn5ld.jpg

the Mess

1211151702_zpsgyfrvocu.jpg
1211151702b_zpszl0quzyw.jpg

1211151702d_zpsyjy7ahhm.jpg

1211151155b_zpszsyfss6p.jpg
1211151155a_zps9vtyyk3a.jpg

The back door, and the heat/Smoke/Soot Damage
1211151155_zpspsvoi8sx.jpg

Blue

Edited by KyBlue

chorusguy

So sorry to hear of your loss.  Glad you are OK.  Are you getting help from your neighbors, red cross, family, or church?

• Like 2

KyBlue

Family - Told me I deserved the loss and that they were really pissed that I had lost irreplaceable family heirlooms (they don't know and didn't ask but they're in a fireproof box offsite)

Neighbors are actually the ones who put the fire out - before the FD got there.

Red Cross - I have insurance so I haven't used this resource, If I use it, I'm afraid it'll be less for someone who doesn't have insurance.

No Church affiliation

Insurance Company is dragging their feet on settling the claim as well. They have done Really good on some things, like the contents list, but when it comes to the actual dwelling, they are wanting to change from the policy as written ... we'll see when they tell me what their number's come out to be...

nylyon

Omg, so sorry to hear this.  Glad no one was hurt, very sad that you lost so much.

• Like 2

KyBlue

Thanks Karl - I'm happiest that my dog wasn't locked in the house like she is normally, we were going to clean the carpets the following day, so we'd been pretreating the spots, and I was putting her in the shop to keep from her getting into the chemicals ... guess it's luck eh?

1212151930b_zpsvwibv46e.jpg

Edited by KyBlue
  • Like 5

nylyon

That was very lucky! 

• Like 1

Sparky

Stuff is all replaceable but lives, including pets lives are not. 

Sorry to read this but glad to hear there were no injuries.....or worse!

Mike....

• Like 1

KyBlue

That's how I am trying to look at it ... the stuff in the house is just ... stuff. mostly.  Some can't be replaced but ... the majority can. I've pulled some things that were special to me from the house, and intend to pull out more over the coming days/weeks to get everything that means something, out.

953 nut

Sorry to hear of your loss, especially just before Christmas and New Years. So much of what you lost like collectibles is gone, but glad your family and dog are safe and well.

Dealing with insurance companies can be a nightmare. If you don't feel you are being given a fair settlement go to your State Insurance Commissioner's Office, they are one of your best allies.

Wishing for a prompt and fair resolution so you can get on with your life.

• Like 2

chorusguy

Yes stuff is stuff.  I'm very sorry your family been so cold.  Nobody "deserves" this kind of tragedy.  Glad the pup is ok.  Fingers crossed that the insurance company comes through.

• Like 1

KyBlue

Thanks! If they don't honor the policy as written (they claim my agent wrote it incorrectly) I'll seek legal counsel and representation in the matter.

Just now, chorusguy said:

Yes stuff is stuff.  I'm very sorry your family been so cold.  Nobody "deserves" this kind of tragedy.  Glad the pup is ok.  Fingers crossed that the insurance company comes through.

Yeah but you Don't know my family ... They have their reasons (in their mind) and I have mine (treatment of myself and mom over the last 35+ Years)

chorusguy

Yep.  We don't get to pick our family but we do our friends.  Wish there was something that I could do.  Keep us up to date so we can celebrate when things are closer to normal.

• Like 2

KyBlue

I'll do my best. My vacation has been spent doing insurance forms (now done online - hard to do with no computer) and going through the house with friends.

I have my chosen family ... they've all been here for me. From the day it happened till now ... Couldn't ask for more honestly.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

I'm sorry for your loss Ky...

may God bless you moving forward. 

You're in our prayers here.    :pray:

• Like 2

KyBlue

Thanks Craig!

• Like 1

truckin88

So sorry for your loss especially during the holidays. God bless and so happy no one was hurt, I am constantly reminded we get one chance at this life.

• Like 4

KyBlue
5 minutes ago, truckin88 said:

So sorry for your loss especially during the holidays. God bless and so happy no one was hurt, I am constantly reminded we get one chance at this life.

Thanks! Nothing like not having gifts to give my chosen family & Friends ... they all understood though.  I think what I miss most...Cooking! haha

• Like 1

roadapples

Not much good with words, but wishing you the best and speedy back to normal.

• Like 3

JPWH

Sorry to hear about your tragedy. Your situation brings back memories for me My parents had no insurance and there was nothing left. I was 14 at the time and I still remember the emptiness I felt. I am afraid of fire to this day. My prayers go out to you. 

• Like 3

mikekot3

Sorry for your loss of all your belongings. At least you still have your family and pets.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

So sorry to see this.  Best of luck dealing with the Insurance Co.

• Like 3

rtfbg

What size clothes do you wear????  Reason for asking ... I don't have cash to send, but I am a big guy, and I have a lot of 2X, 3X and 4X clothes, not fancy, some near new, that I could afford to send if they have a value to you.

Edited by gulftane
  • Like 6

RedRanger
5 hours ago, KyBlue said:

Family - Told me I deserved the loss and that they were really pissed that I had lost irreplaceable family heirlooms (they don't know and didn't ask but they're in a fireproof box offsite)

Neighbors are actually the ones who put the fire out - before the FD got there.

Red Cross - I have insurance so I haven't used this resource, If I use it, I'm afraid it'll be less for someone who doesn't have insurance.

No Church affiliation

Insurance Company is dragging their feet on settling the claim as well. They have done Really good on some things, like the contents list, but when it comes to the actual dwelling, they are wanting to change from the policy as written ... we'll see when they tell me what their number's come out to be...

Sorry to hear this.  With 20 years in the insurance industry I can tell you that most insurance companies treat modular homes differently than stick built homes, two different insurance policies.  The construction methods and materials are different in each.  The cost to replace is somewhat different.  I'd assume they'd take care of you as the type of policy that was issued is not your fault.  Sounds like your agent messed up.  Glad to hear that everyone is ok and that you had insurance.  Although I've never personally had a home fire, I fully understand what you are going through and dealing with.  I've been through it many times with my customers.  I've been on site before the fire was out and every time afterwards.  The smell and taste are terrible...hangs with you for days.  The timeframe to get back to normal seems to take for ever, but it will come.  I hope your insurance company takes care of you like they should.  I would not wish a home fire on my worst enemy or even my ex-wife.  Although she would actually deserve it.

• Like 7

KC9KAS

Very sorry to hear of your loss.

Good luck with your insurance company.

• Like 1

KyBlue

Thanks everybody :) I'll do my best to keep everybody updated