paul600rr

gear selecter popped out !!!!

paul600rr

hi all 

i own a raider 12 been working fine but today i was using it and for some reason went to move and the gear selecter for normal gear 1-3 not the hi-low selector just popped out when i was trying to select a gear is it an easy fix i have the selector out and have the knuckle ball on it does it have a cir clip or should it just pop back in the gear box any help be good on how to fix this problem cheers paul 

Racinbob

Easy peasy! First make sure the forks are in neutral.

568584b1a353d_shifterforks.thumb.jpg.a01

Stick it back in and adjust the dogpoint setscrew until you start to feel resistance as you shift through the gears then back off just a fuzz and tighten the locknut (not shown) while you hold the setscrew. Make sure the setscrew goes in the hole on the ring. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

There is a dog point setscrew that fits into the little hole in that knuckle ball and the shifter floats on that.  Lift up your shift boot to locate the lock nut and dog point set screw.  It is a 1/8" allen wrench.  :)

Ah, Bob and I posted at the same time...Hi Bob.:text-lol:

• Like 3

paul600rr

Thanks guys ill have a look in day light tomorrow cant remember seeing the set screw ?? hopefully getvher up and running again soon the gears seemed very sloppy so hopefully this may fix it thanks again paul 

953 nut
15 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

then back off just a fuzz

Love those highly technical terms you guys through around!           :ychain:

• Like 4

stevasaurus

Yep, that's right...tighten that hooby dooby till it is tight and then back it off a fuzz...lock it with the nut.

BTW...Welcome to Red Square Paul.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

rmaynard

Here's a good picture of the hooby dooby

dpt.jpg.e8fd167333794e308a7efc0358122e17

• Like 6

Racinbob
1 hour ago, paul600rr said:

Thanks guys ill have a look in day light tomorrow cant remember seeing the set screw ?? hopefully getvher up and running again soon the gears seemed very sloppy so hopefully this may fix it thanks again paul 

I'm betting the sloppy feeling will go away when it's adjusted right. :auto-driving:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

When Bob Maynard hops on the hooby dooby train, you know he is starting to feel better.  That is good news.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Seriously Paul...on the flip side, you need to see what you have there.  Did the set screw point break off?  Can you pull out what is there...by loosening the lock nut??  You can see what a dog point set screw looks like...let us know what you actually have there.  :)

• Like 4

rmaynard
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

When Bob Maynard hops on the hooby dooby train, you know he is starting to feel better.  That is good news.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

You are right Steve. I am feeling better. My wife and I actually went out to our favorite restaurant tonight for our annual New Years Eve Maryland Crab Cake dinner. First time in real big boy pants, shirt and tie since the surgery.

@paul600rr Good luck with your problem. Most times a loose shifter is a simple fix. Hope yours is as well. 

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

A tie? Who did you tick off!!?? Seriously though, good to hear you are feeling better. I'm just sorry you had to strangle yourself with a tie. :)

Welcome to Red Square, Paul

• Like 1

Racinbob

Great news Bob. Have a great new years and I'm looking forward to seeing you again in June.

• Like 1

953 nut
20 hours ago, rmaynard said:

First time in real big boy pants, shirt and tie since the surgery.

:woohoo:            After six weeks of sweatpants and flip flops it sure is great to get back (well a bit closer) to normal.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1