Larry Chamberlain

Tie rod ends

Larry Chamberlain

What dose everybody use to make there tie rods just wondering thanks

cooperlacy

I second McMaster-Carr too. Personally I used p/n: 6058K28.   Less than $5 a piece. I just cut the original tie rods, then faced, drilled, and tapped and used lengths of 3/8-24 threaded rod to attach the ball joints. Many other ways to do it, that's just what I did. Looking back on it, rod ends would be stronger (much larger load bearing surface) and likely last much longer, but I can still replace mine quickly and cheaply when the time comes. 

image.jpeg

Edited by cooperlacy
Grammatical error
  • Like 3

pacer

Same for McMaster ----

I had a horse with the solid rods that had really bad 'toe out' and of course there was no correcting it -- so I got the ends from McMaster and cut & threaded the fixed rods to accept the new ones and I now had adjustable toe in/toe out!!

I've since started changing any horse I get to the adjustable tie rods, they all seem to have more toe out than is necessary which makes for hard steering (and our horses arent known for easy steering!!) so I can now add a bit of toe in and get a bit easier steering -- nice!

• Like 2

Don1977

I used 1/2" heims joints and bushed the eye down to 3/8" with steel bushings. That was done in 1989 to my C-120.

SAM_0214.jpg

• Like 2