davedean

hydraulic lift leaking

davedean

I found oil all over the mowing deck and found that the hydraulic system leaks somewhere on a 417-A . The dipstick showed no oil in transaxle. I added 1 qt. of 10w30 and will barely pick up the snowthrower.  Where is the most obvious place to look for the leak? Do they usually leak at the same place or could it be any where? I noticed the oil puddle below the back (rear) of the foot rest.

Thanks

Dave 

can whlvr

probally the lift cylinder or its lines,but a leak can occur anywhere so you need to dry it off and watch when shes running for the leak

• Like 2

wallfish

The pressure in these tractors is kind of low but don't use your bare hand to find hydraulic leaks while the system is under pressure. A thin steam of hydraulic oil under pressure can hurt. Higher pressure can cut your fingers off. If you can't immediately see the cause of the leak-- Clean everything, run the hydraulics, shut down and release the pressure, look for the wet spots.

th?id=OIP.Md52cb081d38eeb4aad08c4ba34687

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Holy Cow John...tell me that is not your hand.  :(

davedean

So far I haven't found any leaks. The puddle I found before was about the size of a dollar bill and the tranny fluid was down a quart from using it to cut grass all summer. I removed the left footrest and left side panel to clean/inspect. The area  was wet with oil. I raised and lowered the snowthrower several times and put a sheet of paper under the piston to spot the leak. Nothing so far.

I saw someone on Youtube adjust the pressure by removing a cap screw to the right of the lift handle (behind the instrument cluster) and turning a screw with a 7/32 allen wrench. Is this advisable? The repair manual for the system advises against this procedure if you have an Eaton transmission. The piston begins to lift the snowthrower only in the last quarter of it's travel, and raises the snowthrower only about 1/2" off the ground. I will continue to try to find the leak, if there is one. Any advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Dave

pfrederi
39 minutes ago, davedean said:

So far I haven't found any leaks. The puddle I found before was about the size of a dollar bill and the tranny fluid was down a quart from using it to cut grass all summer. I removed the left footrest and left side panel to clean/inspect. The area  was wet with oil. I raised and lowered the snowthrower several times and put a sheet of paper under the piston to spot the leak. Nothing so far.

I saw someone on Youtube adjust the pressure by removing a cap screw to the right of the lift handle (behind the instrument cluster) and turning a screw with a 7/32 allen wrench. Is this advisable? The repair manual for the system advises against this procedure if you have an Eaton transmission. The piston begins to lift the snowthrower only in the last quarter of it's travel, and raises the snowthrower only about 1/2" off the ground. I will continue to try to find the leak, if there is one. Any advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Dave

That doesn't sound like a hydraulic problem. How much gap is there between the lift flag and the lift tube?  Put some 3/4" washers over the flag rod before you insert it into the lift tube.  That will cause it to lift sooner and higher.

• Like 2

davedean

I tried that. I had to cut the lift tube 1 1/2" as mentioned in the manual, then added washers. Then removed washers, I could not get even 1 washer over the bar on the flag as the hole in the plate of the lift tube would not align with the pin on the snowthrower. I installed the lift tube to the snowthrower with the plate up as shown in the manual. I assume this is correct.

baerpath

You sure your in the right hole ?

davedean

If you mean flag to tractor, It is in the top hole on the lifting lever of the tractor. There is only one place (as far as I know) to connect the lift tube to the snowthrower

davedean

So is anyone familiar with the adjustment screw on the control valve of the hydraulic lift. Can I increase pressure without damage to the system (including transmission)?

can whlvr

I don't think ive ever heard of anyone adjusting the pressure on an 1100 but im curious to hear if this can be done

davedean

I'm not sure what number you are referring to but I saw it on you tube.There is a cap nut on the control valve just to the right of the control handle. It is behind the instrument cluster. You will find a 5/8" cap nut, remove it and insert a 7/32" allen wrench and turn the wrench. What direction was not clear, but I think it's clockwise. I also read in the WH hydraulic repair manual that doing this can cause irreparable damage to the transmission if you own an Eaton. Just a word of caution. 

davedean

I found the leak! It is on the rear hose line on the piston. Now to try to get an o ring that fits on Christmas Eve or just ignore the problem and enjoy the holiday. 

Thanks to every one for your advice.

Dave

wallfish

It doesn't sound like you have a problem with the amount of fluid pressure. If the piston can lift the weight, then there is absolutely no advantage in adjusting the pressure relief in the valve. From what is explained in your posts, the issue seems to be mechanical and not the amount of power the ram has. 

If the blower is only lifting in the last 1/4 of travel the piston is moving, then there is definitely a mechanical problem. Might be easier to spot if you can post some pictures of how the lift rod and flag are connected, what it looks like lowered and raised.

rick

The hydraulic lift is rated at 700  pounds as it is sold. I can lift the front wheels of my 416H off the ground with my dozer blade, or mid mount blade, with me aboard.  If it wont lift the blower properly, you may have other problems.

Disclaimer:   I should say, that I have never owned a blower, and have no experience with them. They seem complicated, and difficult to set up, at least by reading the frequent struggles posted here.

davedean

I found another problem, the lift tube has been cut off by 1 3/4". I need a piece of it desperately. or I will have to use a mess of washers. If any one has a small piece of the lift tube, I'll be glad to pay you for it.

Dave

wallfish
On 12/23/2015 at 9:30 AM, davedean said:

I had to cut the lift tube 1 1/2" as mentioned in the manual, then added washers.

That's about how much you cut off, just use that piece. Or, you can buy a 3/4" ID steel spacer.

Steel Control Arm Spacer, 5/8 Inch x 1 Inch

can whlvr

I use black iron pipe,i had to do  the same thing as you on one of my lift tubes,you can get the pipe at most hardware stores and all plumbing outlets

gwest_ca

3/4" black iron Schedule 40 water pipe is the most common type and has an OD of 1.050" (almost 1-1/16") and ID of .824" (a little over 13/16")

Garry

davedean

I got a 3/4" x 2" spacer to lengthen the lift tube. Works great! Thanks guys!

davedean

But I need a helper spring for the snowthrower. Actually my wh buddy needs one. Part# 4629. This spring serves the same purpose on a tiller

gwest_ca

Here is the source for the spring

Garry