WNYPCRepair

Deck storage, any solutions?

WNYPCRepair

I am running out of room. I need to find a way to store the decks for my tractors in the winter so they don't take so much room. I don't have room in the garage to stand them against the wall, and the tent garage walls obviously won't hold them up. 

Has anyone come up with a storage solution for multiple decks? I thought of building a rack and storing them stacked vertically, but getting them up there would be a lot of work.

• Like 1

nylyon

I keep one under my 5th wheel RV, probably not what you had in mind though.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

I've used small pulleys from rafters to hoist canoe then tie off rope to side wall. Then small length of chain as a "safety" from canoe to the hook so rope isn't taking all the weight and in case rope breaks. Probably would work for a deck - roughly same weight? Just a thought...

• Like 2

JoeM

I have mine stacked like dominos out side and a tarp cover.................same problem you have! No space, no place. Local zoning says no to another building! Interested in what comes up.  

• Like 1

squonk

Small gear drive decks I stack on end in my shed. My main mower deck stays on the mower tractor in the shed. Spare deck is rolled under a work bench in back shop.

Brian01
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I've used small pulleys from rafters to hoist canoe then tie off rope to side wall. Then small length of chain as a "safety" from canoe to the hook so rope isn't taking all the weight and in case rope breaks. Probably would work for a deck - roughly same weight? Just a thought...

I was going to suggest basically the same thing...build a rack to put them on, vertically or horizontal, if you really want them up outta the way build several, use pulleys and cables make them go up in between your rafters/trusses. Could use like a ****** block or if you wunna go all out, the easy way use a small atv like winch or 110v winch to raise and lower them.

WNYPCRepair

I have two 60" decks, I don't want to hang them from the rafters, I would never be able to trust them to stay up there. 

I did have a thought on a rack, stay tuned. :)

Brian01

Furniture dolly, 4 casters frame, build a double rack on top of it? Move it whereever you wish!

• Like 4

slammer302

I use several methods. I have them on pallets,dollies,stacked like domino's does work have a bunch stacked in the barn like this  

• Like 2

baerpath

I used 4x4's between decks so they cleared each other. Stacked 5 D250 decks that way put a ratchet strap around them all and left the wheels of the bottom deck down so I could roll them as a group

• Like 3

608KEB

I like the pulley idea. Then securing the deck with a chain. I might try that. Maybe put a shelf up for wheels to sit on.:techie-eureka: using a 2x4 for a shelf would probably work too.

Edited by 608KEB

squonk

Just like the drywall dollies we have at work. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Worked on the rack for deck storage today. Got the uprights cut out of the pallet racks and cross pieces welded back in and cross bracing re-welded, and the horizontal members cut down from 10' to 7' to fit in my garage. Picked up a huge load of steel for the lift mechanism. Hope to start assembling the rack tomorrow and welding the lift parts together. 

Needed a U channel for the 2" square lift members to slide in, but they don't make anything that works off the shelf. Finally found a square piece and split it down the middle with the plasma cutter. best $300 I ever spent. They have the plasma cutter on sale for $300 until 12/31, if anyone is interested. 

closeup of the plasma cut

5679f92e1d7f0_plasmacut2.thumb.JPG.97d96

The resulting U channel

5679f93537d66_plasmacut3.thumb.JPG.eeace

The uprights with cross pieces welded back in

5679f940c5b1b_rackfinished.thumb.JPG.35e

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

Tankman

One great reason to have a herd of Horses. One or two to mo' d lawns keep their decks on ready for an early spring, couple of Stallions that like snow wear their plow, FEL, blower all year. Then a team of Horses to pull the  wagons (think Budweiser). A big Horse with a front mounted sweeper and a 3-point log splitter taking up the rear.

The part of the herd not on grass cuttin' duty don't require decks. Eliminates deck storage. Duh!

Makes perfect sense to most at Red Square. Doesn't it? The Ms. will understand, I think.

PS. A cot for the garage in case the Ms. doesn't see the light.

carrot-and-stick.jpg

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
23 minutes ago, Tankman said:

One great reason to have a herd of Horses. One or two to mo' d lawns keep their decks on ready for an early spring, couple of Stallions that like snow wear their plow, FEL, blower all year. Then a team of Horses to pull the  wagons (think Budweiser). A big Horse with a front mounted sweeper and a 3-point log splitter taking up the rear.

The part of the herd not on grass cuttin' duty don't require decks. Eliminates deck storage. Duh!

Makes perfect sense to most at Red Square. Doesn't it? The Ms. will understand, I think.

PS. A cot for the garage in case the Ms. doesn't see the light.

carrot-and-stick.jpg

That is the problem, I'm out of space. I have 5 horses and a Deere, 4 decks, 3 blowers, a tiller, a walk behind tiller, a walk behind blower, a pressure washer, a chipper/shredder, and God only knows what else, plus I use my garage for storing parts for my business. I have to keep a nice wide walkway clear for my wife to go through the garage into the house, she still doesn't do well on stairs, and probably never will again, she has not regained full range of motion, so she can't bend her knee enough to use stairs easily. I couldn't fit a cot in my garage if I wanted to. :)

I would love to put a wood stove in the garage for heat too, but there just isn't any room.

Tankman

Sorry to hear 'bout the Ms., WNYPCRepair.

Of course I was joking, deck storage is getting very difficult here  too. If I build a rack, great ideas here, it'll be a two person lift fo' sure.

Let all know any solution you might come up with. Need to  hear.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
4 minutes ago, Tankman said:

Sorry to hear 'bout the Ms., WNYPCRepair.

Of course I was joking, deck storage is getting very difficult here  too. If I build a rack, great ideas here, it'll be a two person lift fo' sure.

Let all know any solution you might come up with. Need to  hear.

Oh, I knew you were joking. My skin is thick enough, anyway, LOL.

If this works, it will be powered by some type of winch. I was looking at a hand cranked winch, sort of like a boat trailer winch, but I can't tell for sure if it has a braking system to lower the rack "shelves", so I may go with a 12v ATV winch. I am having trouble sleeping ever since I started buying these damn horses, I keep designing stuff in my head all night, LOL

doc724

John, I like your dolly idea.  Pretty creative.  Would have been useful for garage storage before I built the shed addition.  With all the extra shed space, I store them all vertically against the wall and tie them off with rope.

wrightorchid

Have you designed the ultimate Barn yet?

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
On December 23, 2015 at 8:24 AM, wrightorchid said:

Have you designed the ultimate Barn yet?

I have done a lot of thinking about it.   :)

I didn't get a lot accomplished today. Got some chores done, started to work, realized I was out of welding gas, so I ran out and grabbed a tank. Came back, welded the feet on the racks, and ran out of wire. Ran out again, grabbed some wire, and mounted the 2" x 2" bars ion top of the uprights. I had planned to weld the 2" x 2" tubes across the top , then another lengthwise to spread the weight of the hoist along the length of the rack. Then I realized if I did, I wouldn't be able to move it in the future, I would have to build it in place. I want to be able to move it in the future, so I am going to have to change the design. 

I assembled it today to see how sturdy it felt. I had planned to reinforce it with 1 1/2" angle iron, but it was as solid as a rock, it didn't sway even a fraction of an inch. I won't need nearly as much steel as I originally thought. I looked up the pallet racking specs last night, and I am good for a LOT of weight just as it stands. I saw a post where a guy made a gantry crane out of it and lifted a 2500 pound machine so they could back a trailer under it. I will still have five 7 foot tall sections to use as scaffolding, and it will probably be the sturdiest scaffolding I have ever used.

567cc31f9e49a_Rackstanding.thumb.jpg.d8f

When I saw how much steel they had on these racks at the steel store, I was a lot less worried about it being strong enough. :) 

Edited by WNYPCRepair

slammer302
On 12/23/2015 at 8:36 PM, WNYPCRepair said:

Oh, I knew you were joking. My skin is thick enough, anyway, LOL.

If this works, it will be powered by some type of winch. I was looking at a hand cranked winch, sort of like a boat trailer winch, but I can't tell for sure if it has a braking system to lower the rack "shelves", so I may go with a 12v ATV winch. I am having trouble sleeping ever since I started buying these damn horses, I keep designing stuff in my head all night, LOL

For the price i wouldn't hesitate buying a atv winch i have one mounted in the bed of my truck and it has been well worth the money. People are always surprised when i show up to buy a old broken down wheel horse and winch it right in to the truck no problem and alot safer. I use a hook with pulley attached and run the winch hook back to a solid mount next to the winch it reduces the load on the winch motor and increases the pulling capacity.   

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
8 hours ago, slammer302 said:

For the price i wouldn't hesitate buying a atv winch i have one mounted in the bed of my truck and it has been well worth the money. People are always surprised when i show up to buy a old broken down wheel horse and winch it right in to the truck no problem and alot safer. I use a hook with pulley attached and run the winch hook back to a solid mount next to the winch it reduces the load on the winch motor and increases the pulling capacity.   

I have one on my trailer, and I agree. Much safer than riding up my tilted trailer. And I did pick one up for this project too.

shallowwatersailor

Look for a winch that will power out as well. One that is designed as an engine lift might be best.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
4 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Look for a winch that will power out as well. One that is designed as an engine lift might be best.

The HF ATV winch has power in both directions. Now I need to find some heavy duty pulleys. 

• Like 1