Sparky

Gettin winter ready (generators!)

Sparky

Hey guys....all this talk about getting our tractors and snowchuckers ready for winter and no one has mentioned their generators. You don't want to discover that your alternative power source is "busted" when the lights go out and its "0" degrees outside.

Ran mine about 2 months ago just to exercise it, and this morning the power went out so although I don't really need it I fired up the genny (starts instantly!) and have my house all powered up. Don't just fire up your generator, power up something to exercise the generator head....just because the motor runs doesn't mean the generator head is putting out.

By the way....I'm making this post while on generator power :woohoo: !! Keeping your generator in top shape ensures you will be able to "cruise" Red Square while the rest of your neighborhood is in the dark :ph34r: !

Mike.........

566c2bfa62e27_Generator002.thumb.JPG.0b3

566c2bfd3720d_Generator003.thumb.JPG.a2f566c2c00012fc_Generator001.thumb.JPG.652

• Like 8

nylyon

I agree with you.  Last month I took mine (the exact same model as yours) out and replaced all of the fuel with fresh gas + Stabil.  Quick oil change with synthetic, powered it up.  I didn't put a load on it though, but wanted to be sure that the battery was fully charged (even though it starts with 1 pull) and the fuel was fresh in the system.

It's always run completely out of gas and stored in a shed which I bought just for the generator which houses the gen and 2 6-gallon cans of gas, just in case!  I have it hooked up to the house as well, and as long as we don't try to run the dryer, bake cookies and vacuum, it has no problem keeping us warm, running water and TV

• Like 4

JC 1965

Thanks for the reminder Mike. I'll get mine out today and fire it up for exercise. I had it out about a month ago and changed the oil put in new ethanol free gas and a new spark plug. It's going to be 68 degrees here today so that will give me something to do outside. Might even take a ride on my snow duty  :wh: .     :auto-layrubber:   :banana-rock:

• Like 1

squonk

My Genny is in the back shop. To use it I need to unhook the blade from Skonk and attach the genny. If I'm going to "Cruise RS on genny power I might as well power it with a WH! :)

If I had a self powered unit, Instead of gas and Sta-bil I'd have some of that 4 Cycle Tru-Fuel in the tank. The stuff is amazing. I would fill the tank with regular fuel if I needed it to run a while but for storage it's Tru Fuel for me. I've seen Stabil crystalize in fuel bowls before.:eusa-think:

• Like 3

WHnoob

It took close to an hour to drain ~2 gallons of fuel out of my Harbor Freight 3000 watt through the 3/16" petcock.  But even with years-old ethanol gas it still starts in 1-2 pulls (2 only because I usually forget to turn the choke on the first time :-).

Maybe generators should also be included in "Winter Team" pictures!

• Like 2

DougC

I bought the Honda clone Harbor Freight 3,200/4,000 watt Predator about a year ago and have never needed to use it for a power outage yet. I do start it and run it for a half an hour once a month at least and always use sta-bil when I add fuel.   :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Like 2

C-101plowerpower

i have this little one for when the lights go out 

IMG_20150314_192809876.jpg

i don't have i good picture of it all back in running order but i do have a vid of it running

• Like 3

Sparky
1 hour ago, C-101plowerpower said:

i have this little one for when the lights go out 

Whats the voltage and amperage output?

Looks huge!

Mike........

C-101plowerpower
Just now, Sparky said:

What the voltage and amperage output?

Looks huge!

Mike........

it is huge, yes. it only puts out 3500watts at 220 volts, only way you can tell the generator has to work is by the amount of smoke bellowing out of the garage:lol:

• Like 3

rjg854

Mine's ready should I need it ;)

squonk

Tractor is gone but the Genny lives on! 

566cb1f1b321c_Marvin2.thumb.JPG.18e2768f

• Like 3

Sparky
Just now, squonk said:

Tractor is gone but the Genny lives on! 

Is it a 5K or a 3K ?

Mike........

squonk

3K with the custom mount and belt guard! :) Enough to run the fridge and I-pad.

• Like 1

WHX??

Are you guys telling me the one I got connected to the Mrs excercise bike ain't gonna cut it??

• Like 2

Marv

Have had a Generac portable for over 20 years. Most always starts on 1st or 2nd pull (Briggs 9hp). Was getting to be a bit of a strain for me (old) in cold weather so I got this "Wheel Horse" generator. Works real good when needed.

Marvin

DSC03360.JPG.3a91d0b8415049e18e48e68767e

• Like 3

Sparky

16,000 watts Marv... :eusa-think:...hmmm, so that's 133 amps at 120 volt!!....guess there's nothing you cant use in an outage!

Nice setup.

Mike........

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

Power was out here for over a week in '92 when an ice storm took out a lot of the big transmission towers. Had a generator serviced and ready ever since as well as at least one backup. 5500 Porter-Cable and a 5500 Wheel House share the duties.00f0f_lVqvF0Pbgs3_600x450.jpg.c1501b1fcb

• Like 3

roadapples

Did a double take there. Thought it said 5500 Wheel HoRse.

• Like 1

Molon_Labe
5 hours ago, roadapples said:

Did a double take there. Thought it said 5500 Wheel HoRse.

So did the previous owner, He had it listed as a Wheel Horse in his CL ad.

• Like 1