pacrat

unidrive axle

pacrat

i have a broken axle on my 312-8.  it is the 1" diameter shaft about 11 1/2" long.  I think the P/N is 3904 which is no longer available.  any suggestions?  i would like to overhaul this transaxle instead of purchasing a complete tractor for parts.

Racinbob

:WRS:

Put an ad in the classified wanted section. I'm sure you'll find one.

daveoman1966

I have a pair of 1" axles...  12" long that should suit your needs.  The keyway slot is perfect and there are 11 splines on the gear end. 

Contact me at this email for further info:  (Just clik the link)

daveoman@windstream.net

1 x 12 axle (3).JPG

1 x 12 axle (2).JPG

1 x 12 axle (1).JPG

• Like 1

pacrat

Looks good. i will contact you. Thanks

• Like 1

pacrat

i just checked the spline count on my axles and they have 15 splines.  My 312-8 is a 1987.

JC 1965

:WRS:

stevasaurus

pacrat...welcome to Red Square.  :)  If Dave does not have the right axles for you, you might send a Personal Message (PM) to racinfool40 (Mike).

Are you sure they are 1" axles and not 1 1/8"??  Wheel Horse uses both of those diameters.

pacrat

thanks for the welcome stevasaurus.  looks like you are very knowledgeable on the unidrive transaxles.  i am certain they are the 1" axles. i have been pushing snow with my wheelhorse for the past 10 years. it has served me well.  maybe if it had the 1 1/8" axles we wouldn't be having this conversation. i have been looking through the classifieds for parts and it is starting to look as if i may purchase a whole tractor for parts. if i found a transaxle with 1 1/8" diameter axles would it be a direct fit or are modifications needed.  Also has anyone looked into having axles machined or are my breakage issues uncommon.

Racinbob

pacrat, double check that part # again. I see the 3904 axle as a 1" diameter by 10 5/8" long with 15 splines.:)

As far as the 1" vs 1 1/8" sure, the larger axle is stronger but the 1" is still one tough bugger. What were you doing when it broke?

Racinbob

I think I just found your part #. #5961 superseded by #105875. BUT, it calls for a 100443 axle seal which is 1 1/8". :)

Oh oh, I just discovered that you're calling for a 1528 outer axle bearing which is 1". Something is screwy with the parts list. I would say to verify your dimensions and get with racinfool40 as Steve said.

Edited by Racinbob

stevasaurus

pacrat...check out these pictures...these are the axles out of my 5025 uni-drive...10 5/8" long with 15 splines.  I would think Mike would have these in his stock. 

The correct outer axle bearing for your 1" axles is WH 1528...crosses to Torrington or KOYO B-1616.  The seal is TORO 100863...crosses to SKF 9815.

If you look at Dave's picture...those are not the correct axles.  The groove for the "C" clip is on the wrong end to the spline...should be about 1/4" from the end of the axle...and they are the wrong length.

2008_0122TRANSNEW10010.thumb.JPG.443d991

2008_0122TRANSNEW10011.thumb.JPG.4d3a486

You do not need a new transmission...these parts are out there.  Yes an 8 speed would bolt right on, although you may have a few issues to work out with the brake linkage.  :)

To clarify all this...your 312-8 came with both 1" and 1 1/8" axles.  The TIPL shows both differentials reflecting this...Bob was seeing one part and lining up the other.

Your transmission is 1" axles...that part # is 5961...the axles I have pictured are part # 3904...both are 10 5/8" long with 15 splines.  Either one will work in your transmission...the difference is my #3904's use a 1/4" roll pin to hold on the axle gear.  Your 5961 axles use a "C" clip to hold on the axle gear.  That is why the different part number.  The bearings and seal I listed above are correct for your 1" axle transmission.  :)

if you do not have this...here is the manual link for the 1987 312-8 with all the parts information.

I'm going to edit my above statement...I was wrong about the #3904 and the #5961 axles being the same length.  The #3904 is shorter by about 1".   The #3904 is 10 5/8".  The #5961 is either 11 1/2" or 11 5/8"

• Like 2

Racinbob

Steve, the 3904's are shorter too. I'm sure they would work but it would basically butt the hubs to the transmission case. I would want to check gas tank clearance with chains on. :)

• Like 1

pacrat

Thanks.  you both have been very helpful. the parts manual download was great. Here is a picture of my axles.566e3741bda7b_12-13-2015020.thumb.JPG.91

roadapples

Yea, that bottom one has definitely seen its better days. Do you know what caused this?

pacrat

i have used the tractor mainly for plowing snow.  I purchased it used about 14 years ago. The past 2 winters have been brutal. It quit moving one day in the spring and I put it in the corner until i had time to repair it.  It has been a good to me.

• Like 1

953 nut

:scared-eek:    Is the differential case that the axle goes through OK? Must have been a broken bolt or something got lodged in there for a long time to do that kind of damage.

stevasaurus

Those look longer then 10 5/8"...forget what I said about my #5025 axles swapping in your tranny.  They would fit, but your wheels and/or rims might hit fenders or gas tank.  You need the #5961 axles.  Sorry, don't know why I thought they were the same length.  What is the length of those axles??  :)