VinsRJ

Added Another 1955 RJ35 To The Collection

Pullstart

I'm not at all familiar with the RJ's let alone fiberglass hood, but one would think with the compound curves it would have to be a 2 piece mold to separate from the hood, even if the hood was laid complete.

• Like 2

VinsRJ

To be honest I have no idea how they were originally made but, there has to be an easier way than the way I do them, LOL!

• Like 1

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, VinsRJ said:

To be honest I have no idea how they were originally made but, there has to be an easier way than the way I do them, LOL!

I'm pretty sure they would have used a 2 piece male mold.  Tough for you because you would first have to make the male molds and THEN your "one off" hood.  But they would have made one after another and the outside would have been nearly ready for paint where your inside looks nice (except for the seam) but your outside would need lots of work...

I'm impressed with your efforts and they will show lots of folks what can be done at home!

• Like 1

buckrancher
10 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm pretty sure they would have used a 2 piece male mold.  Tough for you because you would first have to make the male molds and THEN your "one off" hood.  But they would have made one after another and the outside would have been nearly ready for paint where your inside looks nice (except for the seam) but your outside would need lots of work...

I'm impressed with your efforts and they will show lots of folks what can be done at home!

I think you have your molds backwards a male mold would have the inside of the hood ready for paint not the outside the RJ hood's draft is correct for removal of a one piece hood

from a female mold I will let you all know in a couple of months

Brian

• Like 3

VinsRJ

Thanks for the nice comments, I will be adding more build vids on a faster pace to keep it moving along for your viewing pleasure, LOL!

In either case (male or female buck) the over all process is the same... mix it up, apply and sand. Now from all of the pics of original RJ fiberglass hoods I have, no two are exactly the same. The overall shape is the same but there are small differences in the shaping of the rear of the hoods. That may be an indicator that they were not all one piece, keep in mind that I openly admit that I have no specific evidence supporting that statement. The RJ hood is by no means the same as the SR hood, the SR hoods are all basically the same and there are plenty of examples around to see and document that statement though... As for the RJ fiberglass hood 1) it was an adaptation of the Walk-A-Way hood (from what I have been told by the experts :huh:) and 2) there are only about 3 or 4 known to exist. So, how they were built is all a real guess. I can tell you for sure when my hood is complete you would have never know it was a two piece build unless I told you. People who saw my prototype hood always questioned how I did it... now you know. There are a couple other trade secrets I will be withholding on the hood build... you will have to just watch and learn... :happy-jumpeveryone:

Again thank you for your interest!

• Like 4

VinsRJ

Slow but sure progress being made on this one...

Frame 3.jpg

• Like 6

Pullstart

Looks great!

I like the use of the saw horses too!

VinsRJ

Well I have been working like a mad man to get this RJ ready for the Big Show... of course I could not stay the course and had to make things as difficult as possible... meaning I decided to build another RJ25... located another Model 8 Briggs... waited nearly three weeks for it to show up... spent a fortune on parts to rebuild it (anyone and everyone who has rebuilt one knows)... and nearly complete with the paint... its going to be a Fast-N-Loud situation to the finish dead line...

20160604_204340.jpg

20160605_170431.jpg

• Like 5

stevebo

Get er done Vin!!!!

AMC RULES

Planning on starting this one??  :ychain:

Ken B
45 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:ROTF:

Looks great Vin!

Edited by Ken B

VinsRJ
7 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

She should be running and driving, I did not do this one to the level of the other RJ, LOL!