WNYPCRepair

Lotos plasma cutter?

WNYPCRepair

http://www.uwelding.com/50-Amp-Pilot-Arc-Plasma-Cutter-LTP5000D-p/ltp5000d.htm 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4DH1E73077&ignorebbr=1

$300 for this plasma cutter. I don't know anything about them, but it has good reviews. Anyone ever use any Lotos equipment?

DennisThornton

I've got one, and did a ton of research about them but I have only fired it up to see that it works!  Been too busy with other stuff!

WNYPCRepair
On November 24, 2015 at 6:15:49 PM, DennisThornton said:

I've got one, and did a ton of research about them but I have only fired it up to see that it works!  Been too busy with other stuff!

I ordered it, should be here in a few days. 

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I ordered it, should be here in a few days. 

Man!  You are going to be holy terror here just anytime, buying all this stuff!  What are you making next!

WNYPCRepair

My next project is to turn these pallet racks into scaffolding. Each upright is 21 feet tall, and the cross pieces are 10 feet long. I want to cut the 21 foot scections into 3 pieces, and make a quick connector to the tops and bottoms, so I can set it up like scaffolding.

scaffolding.jpg.f7a02358013885498cf89956

DennisThornton

Don't know but that plasma may not like paint...

I have a handheld metal bandsaw that loves paint!

WNYPCRepair
25 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Don't know but that plasma may not like paint...

I have a handheld metal bandsaw that loves paint!

According to the specs, the pilot arc allows starting a cut on painted, dirty, or rusty metal. 

DennisThornton

Yes, and my poor memory may be showing itself, but I believe there is a starting arc and a continuous arc option in some plasma cutters.  Now maybe the paint will burn off far enough ahead to be no issue but I've heard complaints about some cutters not doing well with paint or rust.

Portable bandsaw might still be the answer for some cuts!  I'm thinking angle iron might be an example.  Perhaps others will chime in?

WNYPCRepair

Ran my 220 line this morning, hooked the plasma cutter up and tried it out. Cut a piece of 3/8" steel with no problem. Took a few passes as the slag kept cooling and welding it back together, but it did make a nice cut.

WNYPCRepair
On November 29, 2015 at 9:09 AM, WNYPCRepair said:

scaffolding.jpg.f7a02358013885498cf89956

Used the plasma cutter today, it performed flawlessly, and the pilot arc feature does indeed work. Cut right through the painted steel just like it does on clean steel. It has a consumable electrode that starts to melt and sprays out the tip, which burns the paint off and then you have plain steel to make the arc. Unfortunately, the electrode burns all the time, so if you are burning clean steel, disconnect the pilot electrode wire.

I had to cut the horizontal shelf rails on those racks above down to 8 feet from 10 feet. 10 feet is too wide for my garage, though I may put the finished product in the HF tent garage instead. The cut was nice and clean, and quick.

IMG_9294.thumb.JPG.10dc82b7c98937760d4eb

I decided to build a rack for mower decks, and other attachments/implements. If my idea works, you will be able to put a deck or implement on, lift it up, put on a deck, lift it up, and so on. The down side is you have to remove everything until you get to what you need, but if it works (and something else doesn't come up before I finish), it will be a cool storage system. 

• Like 1

JPWH

Nice cut! 

• Like 1