boovuc

A very sore shoulder

boovuc

I inherited two rifles from my very favorite Uncle after he past away in an auto accident in September.

An old Spanish Mauser 98 with a sporterized stock chambered for 243 Win. The other is a 1950's Savage 99 in 308.

I have shot both and knew that each gun was sighted in for my Uncle's poor eyesight and flinch. Each at 100 yards shot 7 inches low and 3 to 4 inches left.

I dialed in the 243 in no time using 7 shells then put a three shot group in the black and called that guy done.

But..........................I have a 788 Remington with a light weight maple stock in 308. I always thought it kicked hard. Nah! It has nothing on that Savage.I was able to put a three shot group in the black and also had two friends shoot it to confirm it was benched in and not flinched in to my characteristics and to have them tell me if they thought it was a mule.

They each hit the black and both said it kicked harder than their Winchester short mags.

I personally shot that bi*#h 10 times before letting it cool and throwing the three shot group in the target. 17 bucks  for a box of shells! A gun that is zero on at 100 yards. A shoulder with an arm I can't lift over my head or straight out! I'm going to be real productive at work on Monday! Glad I'm not hunting bear this year. I have one week to heal!

• Like 6

WNYPCRepair

I used to have a 308, it kicked so hard it would loosen the scope screws. Had to take them out and re-loctite them

Rollerman

Hmm, I always felt like my .308's felt more like BB guns compared to say my .375H&H or even .458 Socom......:ychain:

Sorry to hear about your uncle, but good that you have a pair of rifles that you shared memories with him.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I've used a 110 Savage in .270 Win 130 grain PP for 50 years for deer, antelope and bear.   It has managed to cut me a new eyebrow at least 3 times.  Usually in Montana shooting up  from the bottom of a canyon. About 10 years ago I won a Winchester "Shadow" in .223 WSSM (Winchester super short mag).  I retired the 270 and have used the 223 ever since.   It pushes that little 64 grain bullet a couple hundred feet/sec faster than the 270 with a lot less kick and noise, and is devastating on deer, antelope and turkey.

The bad.....$2.00 a round if you can find em.

• Like 1

Smokey

I've got 5 Savage model 99's in .300 Savage, .303 Savage, .30-30 and .250-3000, They are all a pleasure to shoot and I love them dearly.

I had a light model 99 in .308 for a while. That darn thing tried to bludgeon me to death! :blink:  Hardest recoiling .308 I've ever shot and I sold it to a guy that was absolutely crazy about it.

For most anything I'd need a .308 for the light recoiling .300 will do most of it. If I think I need an actual .308 I'll use a FAL or M1A.