callum12

is this charging system mod possible?

callum12

Hello all,

after reading my engine's manual (techcumseh TVXL220) I found out two options were available. There is a 3A charging system, this is the one I have and a 6A charging system. according to the manual rectification (AC to DC) is achieved via a diode on the 3A version while it is achieved via a full bridge rectifier on the 6A. 

I was wandering if it would be possible to fit a full bridge rectifier of a suitable specification to achieve a 6A charging? 

thanks,

callum 

callum12

after digging a little deeper i have found out there is the 3 amp DC charging circuit but there is also a 5amp AC light circuit, surely though this circuit must be rectified to DC before used for lighting?

wallfish

Nope, Snowblower engines use a single wire with AC to power a light.

callum12

ah ok, i guess as they would use filament bulbs it wouldn't matter. 

I've got a yellow wire with a female spade connector that comes out of the cowling near the carb, its not connected to anything. according to the manual yellow wire indicates alternator AC leads. is this regulated power, if not i would assume the lights would get brighter with engine rpm?

i have already got LED headlights wired into the battery, so the charge circuit, but if i could get the headlights running off the lighting circuit (obviously not LED unless rectified) that would be better. 

thanks

callum