Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

C-520 Hood Mods

kj4kicks

Thanks for putting this thread here, Karl. I'll gladly make the first post!

Here the 520 hood, in stages:

P1014948.JPG

hood1.JPG

hood3.JPG

hood6.JPG

h5.JPG

Rear fenderpan: notice all the holes to fit the 520 chasis.

P1014952.JPG

P1045117.JPG

combatmp29r

Again as I've said before Eldon very nice work. Guess I'll have to make apoint to get some more V18 hood picks in the next day or two. Its done and in primer. Just waiting on space to paint it :D

Greg B.

Eldon,

I see that the the additional metal was added utilizing lap joints. How did you do the final blending? If you tell me that it's all hammer and dolly work, you have my highest esteem :D:P If you just used a little lead, good on ya! :( I really can't see plastic filler living long on these rolling vibrators. Of course, as usual, I'm prepared to be wrong..... :(

Greg B.

kj4kicks

Hi Greg, The seams were all clamped & welded up really tight. After grinding the welds, I sealed the seams with fiberglass which is much stronger, and waterproof (bondo is not), and just did the final blending with plastic filler. You may be right, time will tell.

I would love to learn the art of lead, but it's hard to find anyone who does it anymore.

PS. An Onan runs really smooth !

Greg B.

Eldon,

I'm an OLD hot rodder and I starched and pressed formula cars, for awhile. Lead isn't that hard and Eastwood Tools has a starter kit that would handle just about any job that we're likely to run into on our tractors. Just like any soldering job, cleanliness is essential. Judicious application of a soft, blue flame is the way to go.

I'm a long way from an expert, but have had good success. It's still the best for any panel that can flex.

I'm not trying to be negative. That is one damn fine looking tractor and I wish it was mine (even with an Onan) :D

Greg B.

kpinnc

Eldon, I have to say again how nice that is. I found a spare hood yesterday for my 867 project. I think I'll need some pointers from you!

:D

Kevin

Stigian

Hats off to you Eldon, thats a very good bit of metalwork on the hood :D:P :(

T-Mo

Eldon,

As usual, good work. :D

muka

Very nice work .I have worked in autobody since i was 14 years old. Nice job real craftsman. Have you tried the two part metal fusor you can buy it at any autobody supply house or ebay no welding or grinding grind both ends and clamp together no mixing of product it mixes in a swizzle tube I have put on complete quarter panels,cab corner, roof pans,rocker panels you name. It really just cuts down on labor no welding , grinding you will not even need fiberglass just thought I would pass that on . thank yuo kevin

PetesPonies

no reason to even try and do lead work anymore. The newer plastics and primers has awesome adhesion. Just likeanything, you have to use teh material correctly. Materials can get a bad name from people using then incorrectly and then spouting off at how bad they are. Used correctly , plastc fillers will last a lifetime.