DougC

Tachometer Inop On 1988 520H

DougC

Getting ready to start checking out some problems on the 1988 520H I got a short while back and wondered if you guys had any tips on a tach not working. The fuel and volt gauges work and so does the hour meter. Just wondered if there is any common problems I should investigate first. 

bubbacola

check the vacuum line to tachometer switch  

cleat

No vacuum, just ignition power, ground, and AC signal from the charge coil.

Check all 3 connections on the gauge itself and the connection at the voltage regulator.

Also the 9 pin engine connector may be bad as well.

Cleat

• Like 1

bubbacola

dont know anything about the 520H . i bought a tiller and had to take tractor with it. It ran okay but a lot of missing bolts that i replaced... moving on there was a vacuum hose hanging by fuel pump i looked for a place for it to go. Not finding anything i got on wheel horse junkies with pic of hose... had a few guys say check this and that and one said its the vacuum hose for tach switch... left side near bottom of battery was a switch with two wires on it on the back side you could see where the nipple broke off. I did not repair but I held hose on back where it broke off and the tach did work but jumped alot..im sure if i replace that switch the tach would have work.   I dont know the year the tractor. sorry for long story

cleat

That sensor is for the "air filter" light on the dash. If the air filter gets too restrictive a vacuum forms between the filter and carburetor which that sensor with the broken nipple can detect and turn on the light.

Cleat 

• Like 2

Save Old Iron

make certain the tachometer signal lead (grey, I believe) is on the left most AC terminal when the regulator is orientated as shown in the diagram below. NO SIGNAL will be received by the tach if the regulator connector is flipped over. The charge system will still function with the connector flipped but the tach will not.

669463a0.gif

• Like 4

cleat

Yes, one of the AC terminals is actually connected directly to the DC output internally so the tach would just see DC on that terminal

I had a tractor that came wired wrong but as said by Save old iron, just switch to the other side.

• Like 2

woodchuckfarmer

My gray wire came out of the 9 pin block , it was corroded .

• Like 3

Save Old Iron
2 hours ago, woodchuckfarmer said:

My gray wire came out of the 9 pin block , it was corroded .

ahhhh yes, the 9 pin connector

the gift that keeps on giving !

• Like 1

DougC

Well guys. Thanks to ALL your help I got the tach working today. The previous owner or owners had done some wiring alterations (butchering) and used house hold wire nuts and about an entire roll of black 14 gauge wire on multiple circuits. No AC voltage to tach terminal S from regulator. A jumper wire from the far left AC terminal to the gray wire tach terminal and the tachometer sprang to life and worked perfectly at different throttle positions. I will make a permanent wiring repair after I install the new voltage regulator I have coming from amazon to repair a different problem with the charging system.  THAT TACH NOT WORKING WAS DRIVING ME NUTS........   :lol:

Kurt-NEPA

Thanks for the diagram Save Old Iron.  The tach on my 88 520H is not working either.  The diagram will really help in the diagnosis.

Tuneup

As you've found, DougC, that wiring mess is hiding other issues. Mine had the redneck treatment as well. Good luck!