Wishin4a416

Stator

Wishin4a416

What should the Multimeter reading be on a good Kohler stator? I am electrically challenged so be easy on me now.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Here is the page from the Kohler manual on how to test a stator.

Stator.thumb.png.507134096fec32847d9ccd7

Edited by rmaynard

Wishin4a416

Oops. Thanks Bob but my mistake already. I dont have Stator in hand. I am going to buy one, probably on ebay, a 15 amper. To upgrade the 14 horse I am rebuilding and I see some folks show a resistance reading and was wondering what a good reading is.

rmaynard

0.1 to 0.2 ohms. It's very low. As long as it's not open or a direct short, it should be okay.

What kind of readings are they claiming?

Wishin4a416

Thanks Bob.    0.5 in the ad.

Save Old Iron

An inexpensive multi-meter may will have difficulty giving a precise reading in the under 1 ohm range.

The meter leads themselves can sometimes contribute a significant error into the final reading.

To best read stator winding resistance, first eliminate the effect of multi-meter lead resistance from the measurement. Connect meter leads together. preferably using strong alligator clips instead of test probes.

Allow the meter to settle to a final reading. Let's say you read 00.20 ohms.

Note this reading for future use.

SOIUKohlerStatorCheckmeterresidual_zps3b

Next, check the stator for gross issues by measuring from each stator lead to the metal stator core.

This will check for defective windings in the stator which are in contact (shorted) to the stator core.

Both stator wires should show infinite high resistance in this test.

SOIUKohlerStatorCheckgoodcore_zps42489e9

Finally, measure resistance between both stator wires - 00.69 ohms as seen below.

Subtract the first reading noted from the multi meter leads shorted together (00.20) from the wire to wire ohms reading (00.69).

SOIUKohlerStatorwiringok_zps138d9d9d.gif

The result is the best approximation of stator resistance you will be able to obtain with an inexpensive multi-meter.

• Like 5