mikeeyre74

B Series vs 300 Series frame interchangeability

mikeeyre74

I have a parts tractor out front, a 1977 B60 8 speed. There's a guy near me selling an unknown vintage 310-8 with a broken frame for a song... I'm wondering if I snap that up if I can't put the two together and make a runner from them. Any ideas if the frames are significantly different between the two, I should I scrap this idea?

KC9KAS

Go for it....I would think it will work fine with minor problems.
Someone else may have other ideas.!
Measure the frame length from transmission to the front of the frame on each one.

cleat

If worse comes to worse, Wheel Horse frames are simple angle iron construction so repair should be easy for anyone with a welder.

Cleat

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Here is what the 310-8 frame looks like..
LHt1kNAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

here is the 77 B-60...can't seem to copy the B-60 frame.  Anyway, it looks exactly the same except for the 2 back bars for the running boards.  I think they are going to be the same length and everything.  Like was said, it is an easy fix.  :)
Here is the link to the B-80...frame is on like page 5.  :)
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1030-tractor-1977-b-60-b-80-b-100-8-speed-iplpdf/

Edited by stevasaurus

953 nut

If the frame is broken my guess would be it will be where the foot rest bar intersects the frame, cut out from bottom and very weak. The other likely area would be the transmission mounting plate. Either of these could be repaired easily with a little welding.

WH_Frame_weak_point.thumb.jpg.c8b7618ca4

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Not sure what parts from the 310-8 you are looking for, but the engine, trans should bolt right on.  The hood may even be the same length and height.  :)

mikeeyre74

the guy says its the area right where the transmission attaches to the frame, so... I suspect that area there towards the back of the tractor, not so much the floorboard area. I should have mentioned that I guess. If it's just matter of welding, I think I'll grab it since you all are saying it's an easy enough fix. Thank's for the assist! 

• Like 1

KC9KAS

The trans to frame mount break is fairly common. There are several post on RS explaining the repair process.
Go for It and repair It and have a nice 300 series machine

• Like 1

fast88pu

The b series frame is missing the rear bar to go under the 300 series and you would also have to remove the belt guard tabs on the b series frame too. I put a 414 frame under a B100 because of frame rot on the b100. It was pretty simple. I also have a bent 300 series frame if your interested and local. Pm me

mikeeyre74

If anyone is still following this thread with any interest, it turns out the plate in the back of the frame to mount the transmission was too far gone to repair with a weld. We ended up cutting off the bracket from the B-60 frame and welding that to the 310 frame, because that was easier than fitting that rear most floorboard bar to the B-60 to end up with what I needed to repair it. Right now, I'm just finishing up putting on the sheetmetal and it's a really nice machine now. I really dig this M10 Magnum motor too. Strong and quiet, better than my B-80 worker is, anyway..

• Like 3

slammer302

Glad to hear that you were able to save it. 310-8 is a great horse

Brian01

HmM ....no pictures of your process/progress? Start to finish?

DennisThornton

Yeah.  Come on Mike, share them here as well!  You did a great job!

TDF5G

:wwp:

mikeeyre74

I can't. I have no room to upload them!

how's that? That's her.. broken in half on the trip home. 

thumb_IMG_1646_1024.jpg

Some broken bits..

thumb_IMG_1828_1024.jpg

Here we're tearing it down...

thumb_IMG_1834_1024.jpg

Edited by mikeeyre74
  • Like 1

mikeeyre74

Here's the broken frame, where the transaxle tore it off..

thumb_IMG_1849_1024.jpg

Here's some welding action!

thumb_IMG_1990_1024.jpg

Starting to go back together now...

thumb_IMG_2285_1024.jpg

Getting closer...

thumb_IMG_2312_1024.jpg

• Like 2

DennisThornton
16 minutes ago, mikeeyre74 said:

I can't. I have no room to upload them!

how's that? That's her.. broken in half on the trip home. 

Some broken bits..

Here we're tearing it down...

Mike, you did a great job of documenting this project.  I'd like to save all these photos and the rest to follow myself for future reference.  There will be many others that will now or later appreciate them.  You saved a broken Wheel Horse and gave it a new life!

This will solve your upload issues:  http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/category/1-redsquare-support/

BTW, what's the gear driven hopper in the "Here's some welding action! " photo?

That must have been a lot of snowbank pushing (pounding!) to have done that to the frame!  Any signs of a seat belt or harness?  Bent steering wheel?

• Like 1

TDF5G

:text-coolphotos: Thanks for the pics.  And what Dennis said.  You don't know how those pics may help someone else with a present or future project.

Edited by TDF5G