MAT7

New guy with RJ58

MAT7

here is what I can hope to find out about this lil 58.
May be a early one as it has a k90, and welded hitch.
I'm not savy on the trans #'s maybe someone can shed some light on it.
Original tag says RJ58 and serial# looks like 4 digits ending in either 35 or 85?...?

20151101_233528.jpg

20151101_233607.jpg

20151101_233731.jpg

20151101_233745.jpg

20151101_234111.jpg

20151101_234201.jpg

• Like 5

neil

Welcome to Redsquare , that's a nice RJ to have acquired , there is a dedicated snow blower that fits the RJ but are quite rare .
you can get a reproduction  belt guard from Joe Papke , someone will be along soon that will give you his details .

most of all have fun with your new horse

Ken B

Personally speaking I don't think I'd bother too much working that old RJ, especially with a snow blower. It might have been somewhat okay when the tractor was brand new and everything was fresh.. The snow blade on an RJ will probably push up to 4- 6 inches of LIGHT snow.. Keep that 875 going, you'll be much happier working that one. Very nice tractors  you have there and to Redsquare..

• Like 3

Brian01

I agree, its more for looks, than anything...could pull a small trailer behind it for light duty work...maybe plow a small garden, etc

DougC

Hello and welcome:WRS:

JC 1965

Great lookin little tractor. Thanks for sharing and    :WRS:

WHX??

Nice  RJ! Belt guard & heat shield can be had as repros, fenders & tool box not that I'm aware of but they do show up on ebay once in awhile  or from members here. Trans will either be a 5010 or 5003, should be a 5003. The 5010 trans differs from the 5003 used on RJ's only in the cast tab the brake band is bolted to. The 5003 is vertical, the 5010 is at a 45 degree angle (info courtesy of @Racinbob )

Where in WI are you at?

:WRS:

Edited by WHX5

953 nut
:text-welcomeconfetti:    to     :rs:          Great looking RJ, love the turf tires too. If you put a snow plow and chains on it you can move some light accumulations of snow.
:WRS:

stevasaurus

Nice horse and Welcome to Red Square.  The numbers on your transmission just tell the date the center part was cast...nothing there really.  :)  I would leave the snow blower on that nice automatic you have there...you want that speed control.  The mower and a blade would be fine for the RJ.  You will probably want chains for those turf tires when pushing snow.  :)

• Like 2

Vedette

Welcome to the Forum!
I am very new here too.
And have just purchased my first Wheel Horse........1958 RJ58 with a Clinton motor.
I don't have it home yet, but am working on it.
Can't wait to meet others and compare notes.
Brian W

Brian01

∆ 
 |  Also a RJ58 owner

I love it....neatest little Tractor, simple and look cool too.

Its about time for me to break down n buy some decals n such for mine.. Was gonna get a set of hubcaps off EBay last night, auction ended at 1 am, I fell asleep at 12:30..lol go figure

Pullstart

and you didn't set an alarm? 

• Like 1

Brian01

It wouldn't have don't any good! I was beat! :huh:

Done even...see I'm still out of it. lol

• Like 1

wallfish

You'd be surprised how much snow those little things can push. I see others say it will only push small amounts of light snow but that's not my experience. I was pushing some heavy snow in decent size amounts one year with my RJ. Have since sold the blade to AMCrules and he was pushing snow with it last year.

I wouldn't bother with the snowblower unless you want it for looks. Those little 4 hp engines don't have the power. BUT, the blower you are looking for is a ST302. It has round sides so you will know when you see it. Borrowed this pic of another member's machine

400_with_st302_blower.thumb.jpg.baec5928

• Like 7

Racinbob

You're right John. Not enough ponies for a blower that size. But with the pulley reduction accessory it sure would be cool........and fun.:)

AMC RULES
You might be suprised...   :chores-mop:
by the work these little guys can do. 
  • Like 6

WHX??

Nice AMC, back in '58 that was about all we had.How many years was that before you were born?? ... not counting our respected senior  members  here of course.
Nice cup of coffee waiting in side when you are done. 

Edited by WHX5

wallfish

here is what I can hope to find out about this lil 58.
May be a early one as it has a k90, and welded hitch.
I'm not savy on the trans #'s maybe someone can shed some light on it.
Original tag says RJ58 and serial# looks like 4 digits ending in either 35 or 85?...?

K90 was a common engine for the 58s with some Clinton B1290s mixed in. Some later may have had the K91
That hitch is also the common hitch used. The early hitches used 3 separate pieces welded together to make the U shape for the top of the slot. Yours is the bent single piece.
Early RJs did not have a casting number on the trans.    - 8 = 1958
A 4 digit serial # could make it somewhat early because they made 20,000 or so or could be middle of the road if 9000 something.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Nice tractor and welcome to RS!

cruisnblue48

Nice RJ you have there. This is mine that I bought from Jdogcustoms about four years ago. As far as I know, fenders and tool boxes were optional equipment on the RJ-58's. Yours looks great just at it is sans fenders :handgestures-thumbupright:

WP_001230b.thumb.jpg.188d9a69261f69d534b

• Like 6

Vedette

Hi Dave
Do you know any Wheel Horse members closer to Pittsburgh (Butler) Pa.
Brian_

Vedette

Hi Dave
Do you know any Wheel Horse members closer to Pittsburgh (Butler) Pa.
Brian_

MAT7

∆ 
 |  Also a RJ58 owner

I love it....neatest little Tractor, simple and look cool too.

Its about time for me to break down n buy some decals n such for mine.. Was gonna get a set of hubcaps off EBay last night, auction ended at 1 am, I fell asleep at 12:30..lol go figure

Brian,
If you need decals toss me a PM I have spare hood and shifter decals.  I can toss them in the mail for ya if you give me your address.

• Like 1

MAT7

I'll have to snap some photos this weekend... but I got crafty and studied snow plow photos and started fabricating on from scratch.  Only thing is it'll all be stainless :P
Since I have seen a stainless mower deck and RJ on the board already, why not a plow?!