Sign in to follow this  
BPjunk

701 Ready for snow

BPjunk

I have five Wheel Horses set up for snow plow duty but I think the 701 will stay in the shed. It has a hard to find factory snow plow that does not have trip springs, two other differences with this blade is the angle lever and cross bracing on the frame. This 701 sat out side in the weather for over 10 years before I got it, I bought two 701's from the same dealer but only four tires between the two tractors :D . I got the 701 running by freeing up the engine a carburetor rebuild and tune up. Years ago when here in Richmond we got 12 inches of snow the 701 plowed snow from 5:30am till 9:00pm! After that work out she was rewarded with a complete restoration. :P

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1200050443.jpg

BPjunk

Here's another picture of the 701 and snow blade.

Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1200050666.jpg

T-Mo

It's almost too pretty to used, anyway, Bill. Man, that thing looks great. Great job on her. I love the looks of those round hoods. I might have to go get my "free" 753 now after seeing your 701. Nice. :D

perry

nice lookin 701. i notice the plow has skid shoes. i dont recall ever seeing any wheel horse plows with shoes.

nylyon

That's too nice to plow with Bill.

combatmp29r

It looks great Bill. I didn't realize wheel horse made a plow without trip springs. Learning new stuff everyday on here.

Rollerman

Very nice Bill...& I did not know the early plows for the 701 did not have the trip springs?

701's are the sleekest looking of all the round hoods to me, with the smooth front & tapered rear fenders...heck even the belt gaurd on the starter/generator stands out!

I'd say she deserved her retirement & restoration...again very sharp!

combatmp29r

Stephen now you've got even more incentive to redo your 101 I mena 701 :D

TT

X-braced A frame plows with no trip springs, huh? With the little upside-down mushroom skids, right? (I know -- mine are broken off :wacko: )
You mean like this one ????? B)
35256cd9.jpg

Here's the second one that I got by placing a "Wheel Horse stuff" wanted ad in the local Bargain Sheet paper:
3f57be4f.jpg

combatmp29r

Hmmm. You know Terry I've looked at that picture at leaste a dozen times over on the snow plow thread and never noticed that it didn't have trip springs. Heres where we need the extra smiley saying HERES YOUR SIGN :D

Rollerman

TT I remember seeing your plow in the plow thread.....but :P ...I just assumed that the solid straps were added in?

Those details man..the details...see untill I heard Bill's description I had though all the short frame plows had the springs? :D

Still learning....but picking up things fast here at Red Square!

Joel no 701 in my collection yet.

T-Mo

TT,

You just can't beat free.

I'm still new to Wheel Horses, but I have learn a lot over the past several months, and particularly the last couple of weeks. :D

TT

I do know one thing about the old 701 I have.... It will push!

It had fluid-filled tires on the rear when I got it. After I got it running (cleaned the fuel system and installed a new battery) I drove it over to where my boy had things tore up with his three wheeler so I could try it out. You would have sworn that thing was a D-9 CAT! :D Any other blade would have been face-down on the ground, but since those annoying trip springs weren't on this blade, it just kept pushing, and pushing, and pushing! :P

Pictures of it are over in the thread where Terry D. was looking for one to put on a mug.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=493

T-Mo

Yes, I remember yours now. Nice looking one, at that. I was wondering how well these push. I can get a 702 with a snow plow that's not that far from me (about 160 miles one way). I emailed the guy and he was supposed to gotten me some pictures, but I hadn't heard from him in a couple of weeks.

kj4kicks

Looks good, Bill ! I wouldn't push snow with it either. Not because of how nice it is, but because of the (no trip spring) design. Too easy to damage the tractor!

Thanks for the pics!

muka

Really nice job on your tractor. I am not trying to start any trouble or bad feeling just my view on things. I have restored my RJ 58 and 60 suburban 400 and 704 completely including engine and transmission. I use them both for snow removal to cutting grass because it can be restored over and over plus i can make any part on the machine or have it made why not enjoy the machine. Plus for me i would get sick of moving it around. Again this is just my opinion different strokes for different folks. Nice tractor love the round nose enjoy thanks kevin

Attached Image

post-3-1200083466.jpg

T-Mo

Muka,

It's your tractor(s) and however you use it or not use it, it's up to you. I, for one, will never tell anyone how to treat his equipment. I think everyone here would agree with me. :D

nylyon

Well all I know is when I bought my 416-H it sure wasn't to look at :D

kpinnc

Bill, I can only HOPE mine eventually looks anything like that. Very nice tractor sir!

Kevin

muka

I agree with you, do what you want with YOUR stuff. If you decide to let it set outside and rust so be it . Or restore it and keep it as a show piece thats great to.

I was stating what I do thats all thank you kevin