Ed Kennell

Front mounted tiller

JPWH

Nice job. If your wife hadn't said anything would you have built it? :eusa-think:
Seems like our wives have a way to get our brains in gear and sometimes they don't even know it. 

• Like 5

Wishin4a416

I like it!

• Like 1

cod

Nice job. If your wife hadn't said anything would you have built it? :eusa-think:
Seems like our wives have a way to get our brains in gear and sometimes they don't even know it. 

They are rather diabolical in that regard...  ;-)

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Very nice modification...I like it!

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

That is a great use for a front tine tiller. I really like it.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

IMG_4992.thumb.JPG.3452ab2814b94bfa46961

Is it spinning in the right direction? I've thought about doing that with my tiller and snowblower, just haven't gotten up the courage to try it. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

As you are viewing the picture, the tiller is turning CW.  This is the correct direction for the sharpened edges of the tines.
For safety reasons, this requires the tilling to be done in reverse.  You always want the tines to enter new ground on the down stroke side so if you hit a rock or root, the tiller lifts up over the obstruction as opposed to hooking it underneath and probably breaking the drive train.   This is the opposite direction  from the original walk behind where the downstroke was in front and it was operated in a forward direction.   I had to turn the tiller around 180 deg. to get the drive pulley in line with the PTO, therefore the change in direction.
Actually it works very well in reverse.  I have found I can pull in to where I want to start tilling, put the hydro in neutral, and hold the brake, Then, using the hyd lift, slowly lower the tiller head to the depth I want.  Then just using the brake to control speed, let the tiller push the tractor in reverse.

• Like 7

woodchuckfarmer
Nice job.
  • Like 1

AMC RULES
Nicely modifed Ed...  :handgestures-thumbsup:
I'm betting it works even better in reverse. 
  • Like 1

Wishin4a416

Now I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for a junk tiller Ed. I junked one this year but the pulley was perpendicular to the tines and not like your configuration. I did keep the 5 horse Briggs off it though.

Ed Kennell

Thanks for all the comments. 
  Maybe I should go for a patent and market it as  "The MAD MAX  KILLER  TILLER".........  Naaww, I probably wouldn't live  long enough to get OSHA approval.
  Anyway, who wants to go to work when this is so much fun.:banana-linedance:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

DennisThornton

Well I'll be darned!  Some clever work there!

• Like 2

muz123

Amazing! Hard to beat that!

• Like 1

953 nut

I had always heard that necessity was the mother of invention, turns out it was Mrs. K!  :ROTF: Nice job Ed; like you said, I don't see OSHA approval being very likely.

Thanks for all the comments. 
  Maybe I should go for a patent and market it as  "The MAD MAX  KILLER  TILLER".........  Naaww, I probably wouldn't live  long enough to get OSHA approval.
  Anyway, who wants to go to work when this is so much fun.:banana-linedance:

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

For safety reasons, this requires the tilling to be done in reverse.  You always want the tines to enter new ground on the down stroke side so if you hit a rock or root, the tiller lifts up over the obstruction as opposed to hooking it underneath and probably breaking the drive train.  

My walk behind is designed exactly like that. It is a rear tine, and the tines turn toward the rear while the wheels pull it forward. It DOES get jammed up on rocks and roots though

• Like 1

semper5

I like this very much. With another member putting an edger on his blade frame, and now this, I see more possibilities for the front-mounted items... Mind is spinning, and some ideas are just awful! 

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Nice creative idea!

I've though about a blade frame being the support for the homemade ice cream make I want to make some da. i want to be able to ride around while it cranking the ice cream...more seat time!

• Like 3

roadapples

I`m impressed Ed, nice job. I guess  being hooked up to that plow frame you can angle it right and left for going around corners. LOL.

• Like 2

boovuc

I like it Ed! Nice mod!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I`m impressed Ed, nice job. I guess  being hooked up to that plow frame you can angle it right and left for going around corners. LOL.

Thanks J,  I was actually surprised at how well It works. I thought I may have to add weight to keep it in the ground, but it works fine as  is to till my garden.
If I were tilling sod or unplowed ,  I would probably need to add weight.  For safety reasons, I do not want to add a solid link on the lift because I know if I hit a big rock or root, the tiller is going to come up and I don't want it trying to lift a 500 lb tractor with me on it.
:wacko:
As far as angling to till around corners, I'll have to redesign the belt tensioning system and add about 6 more idler pulleys.    :confusion-scratchheadblue:    I'll work on that for you.
I am adding some guards and red paint to make it to make it look a little less scary. Still don't think OSHA will put a blessing on it though.
I'll post a pic before I take it off to put the blade back on.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Looks good Ed! And looks like it works good too.

Digger 66

I liked the Mad-Max look :ph34r:

• Like 3