SylvanLakeWH

C-105 8-Speed - Transmission Oil Bubbly

SylvanLakeWH

I have a 1982 C-105 8 Speed. It is new to us a couple months ago, but it sat for 3 years in a garage after light lawn duty for 20+ years at my brother's house. Price was right (Free) and it runs great, shifts good, no noticeable problems...

So... It's been "a while" since transmission oil has been changed.

Went to check level the other day and level is fine but it was a creamy color and had small bubbles in it - cold. This seems odd and before I just change it and move on, should I be concerned? What kind / weight oil should I use? How much? Suggestions?

What say ye? Thoughts / advice appreciated.

doc724

If it is creamy, that means that there is water in it.  The likely entry point is a deteriorated rubber boot around the shift lever.  If you are going to change it, buy a new boot as well.  Transaxle takes 2 quarts of gear oil.  Old WH manuals say 90W-145, (I think) but based on others experience here, I have been using 85W-90.  Since the drain is in the back half of the transaxle (on the bottom) make sure you raise the front of the machine a bit to get as much oil as possible "over the hump" in the bottom of the transaxle so it can drain out.  Gear oil stinks so if you do not like the smell, replace it with synthetic.  The stink however is useful because if you can smell it, it means there is a leak somewhere. 

SylvanLakeWH

THANK YOU!

Appreciate the help!

Lagersolut

Whenever I drain a trans - after raising the front and leaving it run out awhile ( I always do mine in warm weather so the oil is thinner and runs better ) I'll turn down the pressure on my compressor to like 20-30 lbs and use the air nozzle to gently and slowly push the remaining oil out - too fast and too much pressure you'll have oil everywhere - slow and easy works great..... use a rag to seal around the nozzle so it pushes out the drain hole .

Edited by Lagersolut

SylvanLakeWH

Great idea! 

Thank you!

SylvanLakeWH

Tranny oil changed (yuck factor very high and thick)...

Mission accomplished using your suggestions! Thank you much!

As newbie both to WHs and transmissions, it went just as noted in the replies / threads...

Once again - well worth being a supporter...

tunahead72

Good to hear! :handgestures-thumbupright: