chorusguy

need some more plowing advice

chorusguy

OK. About a month ago I asked for some plowing help and for great advice.  I got the plow adjusted so it is digging pretty well.  I am still getting unplowed space between the rows riding with my right wheels in the previous rut.  I adjusted the plow all the way to the right.  Does this men I just need a wider plow?  Also what is my next step?  I have a tiller and a disc harrow.

Thanks

1445032572654.jpg

1445032679920.jpg

953 nut

There should be adjustment bolts on both sides of the plow hitch so you can angle the plow a bit more to the right.

chorusguy

There are bolts but I read somewhere with a plow you shouldn't tighten the bolts.  Will double check.  Does anyone know the width of the wheelhorse moldboard plow?  I think my plow is a 10"

tbarnhart

Take the clevis off the front of the plow beam and flip it over. It is offset and will move toward the left, allowing the plow to track farther to the right.

• Like 3

KC9KAS

I agree with tbarnhart.
Some of the hitches are made with the center hole of the hitch in the center of the plow, and some are like your plow & hitch allowing for greater left/right adjustment. I found that these adjustments  are needed depending on the width of the tractor being used to plow.

chorusguy

Flipping the clevis is a no go.  It's welded

6wheeler

Just saw this post. From What I can see in your picture? The clevis should come off with the bolt in the pic. Then flip it over and bolt back on. The bolts in the clevis hitch should be tightened with the plow attached. If the plow hitch is too far off to one side? Make a plate to go between the plow hitch and clevis hitch to tighten the bolts against. Now, with the plow straightened? it will work better. Your plow will either be an 8" 10" or 12". Measure from the point of the share(toe) to the rear(heel) of the share. That will be your width. Your plow is not going to be adjustable for side tilt. It is pretty much set from the factory and unless you make a new clevis for the plow beam with a different angle? It is what it is. After you make your adjustments to basically "square" your plow with the tractor? Put the plow down and look at how it sits. The plowshare "toe" should be on the ground. The "heel" should be about 1" or so (up to 2") off the ground. Standing behind your tractor, look to see if what you would imagine as the furrow wall( ie; the place where the inside of the right rear tire would run) is inside or just outside of where you would see the heel of the plowshare is. If it is pretty close? All should be good. With all that being done?  Put your tractor left rear wheel on a block app. 4 to6 inches high. Set the plow down again. Look at the plow. Is it setting on the ground? Is it setting flat? Is just the "toe" or "heel" touching, or not touching at all? If it is not touching at all? Adjust your clevis hitch height. If the toe or heel are touching? Adjust your pitch with the turnbuckle on the back of the plow. You need to get it fairly flat in the furrow position so that the landslide (the long piece on the rear left opposite the share) to make a rather flush contact with the inside of the furrow wall (it keeps the tractor from wanting to pull to the right). If all is good? Happy plowing..........

• Like 1