Sign in to follow this  
chevelletown

New guy needs / wants a horse

chevelletown

When I got out of college and moved to Indiana my dad had purchased a Charger 9 to mow his yard. I had never seen a Wheel Horse but the first time I used it I was impressed, and I grew up in J.D. county and had owned a couple J.D. for my lawn mowing business in high school. I was so impressd with the Wheel Horse I even made a wooden dozer blade to spread about 40 tons of pea gravel. Dad ended up selling the W.H. because it kept blowing head gaskets.

I want to start my own herd of horses now and this is the best forum I've seen, you guys are really great!! I need some advice. I would like to purchase 2 tractors a 520H for my worker and an older tractor to refurbish (I like the looks of that 1045) what should I expect to pay for each tractor? Do any of you have one for sale near Indianapolis?

I'd like the 520H to be in very good condition maybe with a deck and snow blower? and the older tractor to be in running, complete condition. I'm really looking forward to becomming part of the group. It sounds as if the PA meet is a good meet to set the Wheel Horse hook so I'm planning on going this June.

Thanks Everyone!!

kj4kicks

Welcome to RedSquare!

You can't go wrong with a 520 for a worker. Even the 400 series machines are pretty tough.

Also nice to have an older one around. They are fun to play with.

See you in June !!!

T-Mo

I'll echo Eldon's welcome - WELCOME

The 520 is a nice tractor, as is the 400 series. You couldn't go wrong either way. You may check at different dealers in your area. I found my 314-8 at a JD dealer. Also try Craig's list, and/or ebay, check local newspaper adds. There is a Yahoo Wheel Horse Classified Group, as well as our own little "For Sale" section.

As for an older restoreable tractor, the round hoods, of course, or maybe an older square hood model. For me, they're all worth restoring. Most of the other members here probably could direct you better than I can here. Again, check Craig's list, ebay, etc. Look around as you drive the country side, you'll never know what you'll see in a field, behind a barn, etc.

Again, welcome to theRed Square.

nylyon

Welcome Chevelletown (guessing your into Chevelle's). Do your homework with the 520's as they're not all the same. The newer 520's are setup a little different such as swept front axle and reduced effort steering, where as the older 520's do not have that and are more like the 400 series, which are great too.

Where I am, Craigs list is a better place to find horses. There are several collectors with deeper pockets pretty close by, and usually gobble up the items on eBay, where Craigs list is left alone. I was able to pickup a 414-8 with 42" mower, plow, AG tires, front and rear weights needed little for $220. I use that tractor all the time.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

combatmp29r

Chevelletown I'll chime in here with a welcome to the group. I agree with Karl and Terry about craiglist. I've got a couple guys close here that ****** everything on ebay up, but seem to overlook craigslist. How ever you go welcome to the wheel horse ranks.

pond195520032003

Hi everyone, i figured i might aswell get started in joining you all :o anyway most of you already know me from the main group on yahoo :P i go by pond195520032003 or Greg whitch ever comes first. i have a couple round hoods that need some tlc and also am forced to sell my 56 pond whitch im sure most of you have already seen it on ebay :D if i can figure out how to add pics i will post a couple of my tractors! :( also how do you add an aviator :( hope im not stepping on toes here :( holler back Greg in s.e. ohio

combatmp29r

GREG!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the group!! Good to see a local here even you do drive a short bus :D

I saw the pond on Ebay. I'm sorry :P

as far as the pictures go I'm using photobucket for on here and its very easy to do. There is a thread about avatars on here somewhere, but I couldn't tell you where off the top of my head. Karl could though.

T-Mo

Greg,

Welcome to the site. As for as I'm concerned you're not stepping on anyone's toes. I saw your '56 Pond on ebay.

As for posting pictures, you can obtain a "photobucket" account, if you don't already have one and use the IMG tab there and just paste it here. Be sure you keep the size within reasonable sizes. There is a picture resizing link in the "links" section.

Now for the avatar, you're noticed on the top of this page, right beside the "Logged in as:" is your username. Click on it and it opens up your profile page. After the page is open there are a few clickable options along the top - just click on the "Avatar Options" link. There will be several options listed - just click on the one that you want to use. I believe there is a size limit - I think it may say 128 x 128.

Again, welcome to the site.

CHARGER9AUTO
Hi everyone,

pond195520032003

Hi Ben, not a bad looking tractor :( i have a couple belt guards and some other parts from the 1054 i have parted out! still have the rear wheels , front axle, grill housing, hood and some other parts :D have the complete engine also :( still cant upload pics :( all i get is this is not a valid file extension :P

combatmp29r

It may be too big Greg. Not sure though, I'm still learning some of the quirks of this site. :D

TT

still cant upload pics :( all i get is this is not a valid file extension :D

Do you have a "third party" hosting site, Greg? I use http://photobucket.com (freebie). :P

Upload your pictures there, set them to the appropriate size, and then copy and paste the "IMG Code" link in the message you want the picture in on here.

Sounds like a P.I.T.A. -- but it's not too bad.

chevelletown

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I've managed to find a coulple of horses and have to go to pick them up soon. I found a C195 with a three point hitch and a 1075 with snowblower, and I have my eye on that 520H on Ebay? Are these good tractors for a newbe :D

Sparky

WOW!! You found a C-195 for yer first tractor? Thats awsome and a rare find as well.

Congradulations......Mike.....

kj4kicks

Congrats on the find !

I have my eye on that 520 also, if you mean the one in PA.

TT

Congrats on the find !

I have my eye on that 520 also, if you mean the one in PA.

Would that be the really nice one with 999 hours, the 60" deck, and the big snow blower? :D

pond195520032003

Chevelletown, i forgot to say Welcome! the C-195 is usually referred to as the super C :o its the larggest of the C series tractors and from what i here about it it is a great tractor! it along with the GT14 and the D-series are the only ones that have an actual 3pt hitch! :( as for the 1075 :o its is a 1965 and is the first year for the wheel-o-matic or hydrostatic drive tractors! I have a 1075 and used it all the time :( these are more than good tractors for your 1st or 100th :P as for the 520H i have not had the oppertunity to own one yet :D good luck on them and keep us posted :(

kj4kicks

Yep, that's the one. It looks like it was better cared for than mine (with lower hours), and would get an immediate C-520 changeover!

Sorry about hijacking the thread.... :D but that would mean that my first 520 would be for sale (with original sheetmetal).

refracman

chevelletown, nice fine on the c195, :D there was only bout 650 made between 82 and 84, and ifins ya found a 84 there was only 160 or so of them made. and if it has the original motor on it its a real find, the kt19 series 1 had to say the least a poor oiling system.

i like to think the 195 is the younger brother to the gt14, but im still a little paitial to gt14 :P

Steve

combatmp29r

Chevelletown, Definately a way to go from me!!! A super C and a 1075 right out of the gate. Excellent buys. Good luck on your 520 hunt. You gotta watch those PA guys though :P :D

nylyon

. You gotta watch those PA guys though :P:D

I had thought that it was the Connecticut guys, but I'm starting to think that it's really the PA guys now.

TT

Actually, Karl, you're pretty much surrounded! :D

T-Mo

Pa, Connecticut, NY, Ohio, Indiana - it doesn't matter - it seems like there isn't an abundance of Wheel Horses in Missouri (or at least in my little area).

Congratulations, btw, on the C-195 and 1075 finds. Good going. And as you can tell from the posts, they're excellent tractors to own, even for a newbie. :D

Buzz

it seems like there isn't an abundance of Wheel Horses in Missouri (or at least in my little area) :D

Not so...........Frank from Missouri supposedly knows where a trailer full of 'Horses is, plus several D models. He also carries a cyanide capsule in case he's captured :P . He's posted on this forum but forgot what alias he's using :( .......maybe Bowtieguy?

T-Mo

Not so...........Frank from Missouri supposedly knows where a trailer full of 'Horses is....

I've talked to Frank a few times via email - he's in the wrong part of Missouri, about 375 miles from me. He actually turned me onto a couple of places in central Missouri, near Jefferson City (still about 150 miles for me) that I want to check into to. He's on this site as Bowtieguy, I think. Real nice guy.