pfrederi

PTO Bearing and seal numbers

pfrederi

Not sure the best place to post this but...

If you have to replace the needle bearing in your PTO bell and its seal here are some numbers.

The Bearing is WH #106769 (formerly 6662)  about $20.  It is a Koyo J-2420 about $10.
1.1/2" ID  1-7/8" OD  1-1/4" width

The seal
WH #6663  SKF # 14810

seal.JPG

• Like 4

cleat

PTO thrust bearing that the hoop pushes in on is 204RR6 AG on my 520 and 416 at least.

• Like 1

doc724

Here is a question for Cleat and Paul:  Have you ever had to replace these bearings and seal and what tipped you off that it was needed? 

I personally have pulled the PTO bells and regreased the needle bearing with high temp grease (forced it in between the needles).  For the thrust bearing, I pushed out the bearing, popped the inner grease seal on the bearing and then forced high temp grease in and reinstalled the seal.  All of these were done as a PM.  I cannot tell if it made any difference except on the really old machines (late 70's)-they seem to be a little quieter.

BTW, all those numbers you a cited are SKF and can be purchased at NAPA

cleat

I have also just had to repack the needle bearing.

I replaced the seal on nearly every machine because they were worn and not effectively sealing any more.

However, the thrust bearing on 2 or 3 of my machines had a lot of play and were very loose. Two of them had even worn the little stub shaft that the PTO hoop connects to. I was able to get these from Wheel Horse.

Cleat

pfrederi

I had an older style PTO (no brake) that wouldn't stop spinning even with the snow blower hooked up.  Cleaned and regreased bearing but still spun ...too much drag. Getting old bearing out was big project...you have to destroy it as there is no way to push it out. I have a set of rear axle bearing pullers but teh y were too big.  I suppose there may a pilot bearing puller that would work but again mine wasn't big enough.

squonk

I think Bob Maynard found a way to push that needle brg. out with a long bolt and some washers. I've had to replace the outer brg. on 2 PTO's. I was moving and saw the Genie coming out! (smoke) :)

rmaynard

I think Bob Maynard found a way to push that needle brg. out with a long bolt and some washers...

And here is that post:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/25993-pto-needle-bearing-replacement/?do=findComment&comment=222705

@pfrederi Paul, thanks for that bearing and seal info. I'm sure one of the MOD's will find a nice place to put it for easy access.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 3

JC 1965

I'd just like to say that Bob's method for replacing the needle bearing works like a charm. I replaced mine a while back and had a couple questions, so I sent a PM to bob and he answered my questions and everything went very well.  :hide:  Thanks again Bob.    :thumbs2:

pfrederi

I think Bob Maynard found a way to push that needle brg. out with a long bolt and some washers...

And here is that post:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/25993-pto-needle-bearing-replacement/?do=findComment&comment=222705

@pfrederi Paul, thanks for that bearing and seal info. I'm sure one of the MOD's will find a nice place to put it for easy access.

Nice approach for putting in the new bearing but how did you pull the old one???

rmaynard

After taking the small bearing out from the front, you can tap the needle bearing out with a hammer and drift pin or chisel.

pfrederi

After taking the small bearing out from the front, you can tap the needle bearing out with a hammer and drift pin or chisel.

Mine was recalcitrant.  Tried that no movement ..used a bigger hammer and finally the flange of the bearing began to break off and the needles fell out.  Then had to grind a notch in the bearing housing and using a small chisel split and peel it away from the housing...Not pretty