muz123

My first real blackhood!

muz123

I got this in a trade a few weeks ago from tom (stratostar250) and needed some work such as a new starter,condenser and points. I also put a new seat pan from a 90's 520 and soon going to add brand new decals. I don't like the plastic fenders. I do love this beast a lot, Seems tougher than my 520-H! It has 1392 hours. it has the Kohler K series 1 in it. I herd the series 1 is bad because if you go up a high slope the tractor will seize up? I'm not quite sure maybe you guys can tell me. I might plow with it also.... :laughing-rofl: Thanks, Dave!

IMG_2166.thumb.JPG.0515f821af0b2a62f0953IMG_2168.thumb.jpg.46e60850fd748b9ed1487IMG_2169.thumb.JPG.e3fc9e094a4a335d4f99e

Edited by muz123
  • Like 5

Sparky

That whole Series 1 thing is funny....everyone says stay away....but then someone like yourself buys one with a bunch of hours and its over 30 years old! If it has lasted for 30+ years it cant be all bad. Proper oil maintenance is the key I believe.
Good luck with it!
Mike........

• Like 5

elliot ness

The series 1 is a good motor, I have had many over the past 20 yrs, and only one seized,   Just stay off of the real steep slopes and make sure you use good oil [I like mobil 1], and keep it changed 2 to 3 time a year and you will get many more hrs. of use, I sold one a few yrs back with 1900 + hrs and still running strong. John Deere had a huge problem with the series 1 17hp. kohler, but most of the problem came from farmers mowing ditches. [slopes]

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It
I'm with Miike on this. There are too many of these engines still in service for them to be considered a bad piece of equipment. I'm sure running a top quality lubricant and changing the oil every 25 hours is all thats needed to keep these engines running 30+ years.
  • Like 2

muz123

Thanks for all the info guys! 

pacer

I'll join in with the others on the comments on this engine. I've got a 78 and a 79 year 175's and I really like them, unknown hrs but they have to be in the hundreds. Just good old common sense should keep them going a long time. I watch my oil carefully (which should be done on any engine) and keep it maybe a pint over full with a change whenever it starts getting black. It always amazes me when I haul one of these old horses home and look at the oil and it seems more like tar than oil!! Less than $10 and a half hours time to keep your baby running always seemed like a good thing all around:lol: By the way, as a bonus, this engine sounds really cool when its up on the throttle....

• Like 2