Ed Kennell

Ford Owners Beware

Ed Kennell

Just had the required annual state inspection done on my F-150 4X4 .   This is what was found on the inside surfaces of all 4 rotors.  The outsides , that we all can see were all OK.  The inside surfaces were pitted too deep to resurface.
I bought the truck new and it has 29,500 miles on it. 

4 new rotors and pads  =  $800.

IMG_4990.thumb.JPG.d1b804c789a436e6d9b4bIMG_4991.thumb.JPG.e663f8f830e79a253adde

WNYPCRepair

I just had to have mine turned, about the same mileage, and it was covered by warranty

Ed Kennell
My warranty  timed out at 36 months.
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

I'll bet it is not just Fords.  :(

• Like 5

AMC RULES
:text-yeahthat:  Probably them Mopars too.  :twocents-02cents:
        :ychain:    Just sayin'...
  :teasing-poke:
  • Like 3

squonk

They all do it. Even my Tojo will hang up a caliper when you least expect it and then it's rusted rotor city.

• Like 1

JAinVA

Probably the liquid calcium cloride that is used for snow removal.The local inspecters here in VA swear my 08 Super duty  spent many years up North because of the rust on the dump body.I tell them it only made a half dozen trips between Maine and VA but unfortunately during the winter.The stuff that the DOT's use may be better for the enviroment but the service companies get lots of business from the rash of corroded brake lines.JMHO,JAinVA

shallowwatersailor

Ed, its the liquid calcium chloride used on the East Coast. I never had a problem back in Illinois. My 2001 GMC has had four new rotors and calipers (not at the same time) plus all of the brake lines replaced. It only has 49K miles on it. I have almost $2K in brake expense over the five years I've owned it.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I used to work at a GM dealership. Brand new cars that have never been driven would have rotors that were rusted so bad they had to be replaced. The mechanics said it was the cheap steel they used

• Like 2

squonk

Exactly. The pads clean all the gunk water ect from the rotor surface. When a car sits a long time, or a caliper slider hangs up you get this. One side usually the inside will get rusted out because the caliper isn't freely sliding and the inboard pad isn't touching the rotor surface all the time. It will move under brake pressure but will move too far away from the rotor surface and won't properly clean of the rotor. You will also notice one pad wearing more than the other. And yes, Cheap off shore metal will rot out faster.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Probably the liquid calcium cloride that is used for snow removal.The local inspecters here in VA swear my 08 Super duty  spent many years up North because of the rust on the dump body.I tell them it only made a half dozen trips between Maine and VA but unfortunately during the winter.The stuff that the DOT's use may be better for the enviroment but the service companies get lots of business from the rash of corroded brake lines.JMHO,JAinVA

A coworker swears he never had issues until they started using that stuff here about 3 years ago. Could be something to it.

squonk

I've seen rotor rot for 20 years. Jeep Grand Cherokees with the rear disc were the worst! 

• Like 1

mikekot3

Calcium chloride put on the roads rusts out vehicle fast in new England. The only way to combat is to take it to the car wash after every storm. Some places let you buy a unlimited car wash for 10-20 dollars a month.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

So, What are the options.

1. leave the 4X4 in the garage and use wifes  mini van
3. daily trips to the car wash
4. pressure wash the calipers daily and coat with WD 40
5. move south
6. add a brake that works
th?&id=OIP.Me2f54e32f92c582badb414248a59

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 2

mikekot3

I would take the calipers off once a year and apply sil-glide to the caliper slides otherwise my dad's brake calipers get sticky and the right rear inner rotor surface does not get cleaned from the pads when the brakes are applied. The whole vehicle slide lubrication takes about an hour. Much cheaper than new pads and brake rotors.

Ken B

I've seen rotor rot for 20 years. Jeep Grand Cherokees with the rear disc were the worst! 

You got that right.. I've had my 2003 Grand Cherokee for almost ten yrs. now. I have been thru so many sets of rotors that I've lost count. No rust on the body though.

Terry M

Ed, just curious what year F-150 those were on?? 

Ed Kennell

2010   150 XLT crew 4X4     

Edited by ekennell

Fordiesel69

14 yrs old........................

Its due.

$800 for pads and rotors?  I would NEVER let a shop do my brakes.  That is how you die.  If you do them yourself you know its done right & you are saving half the cost.   

Ed Kennell

Sorry, I fat fingered the year.   2010   5 years old.

sorekiwi

I got 110,000 miles out of the OEM rotors that came on Subaru (primarily driven in Indiana).  The cheap chinese rotors that I replaced them with rotted out in about 8000 miles (now in Ohio where they dump a whole lot more salt on the road).

• Like 1

working part time at an auto parts store i see that all the time , usually caused by the caliper hanging up as already stated. those MAY have been able to turn , don't know for sure until you measure them. some rotors don't have much to work with even when they are new , some have enough to turn a couple times. we charge $12 each to turn a rotor or drum.

if you had the work done at a repair shop , i have found that most will not have a rotor turned and insist on new ones

my 1995 Chevy S-10 went almost 300,000 miles with the original rotors , my 2003 Chevy 1500 has 156,000 miles with the original rotors still serviceable

cheap Chinese parts has also been mentioned ...we have two levels of brake rotors , most people go for the cheapest ones

$800 for rotors and pads seams very high

Edited by 305
  • Like 2

bmsgaffer
  Probably them Mopars too.  
            Just sayin'...

On my 2008 Dodge Ram I got over 91,000 miles on original PADS and rotors... Cant complain about this Dodge... :confusion-shrug:

I'm in southwestern OH, they use beet juice here for pre-storm prep and a combo beat juice and salt for the roads during the snows.

I've seen that problem on vehicles that don't get driven far or as often. Probably the caliper sticking as mentioned or just not cleaning the rust off regularly by driving/stopping hard enough. It would obviously be much worse as you get up into the colder states.
  • Like 1

Sparky

I always opt for the higher end rotors (and pads) when I buy my brake parts. You get more miles out of them and less headaches!
Its best to avoid all the Made in China car parts if possible.
Mike........

• Like 2

C-85

I hate to admit it, but I have had these same issues with my '88 full size Chevy.

What gets me the most about this, is the steel brake lines!  With all the safety features vehicles have on them, they still use plain steel brakes lines that rust and can blow when you need brakes the most.  I would gladly pay the extra to have stainless steel brake lines as standard equipment and it wouldn't cost that much more!  I'm surprised that stainless brake lines haven't been required, especially with vehicles lasting much longer these days.

C-85

• Like 4