JackC

Gumout Multi-System Tune-UP vs SeaFoam

JackC

The ONAN Performer series engines seem to carbon up relatively easily.
A periodic de-carbon procedure is recommended.
The procedure is at least a PIA. 

Has anyone tried the Gumout Multi-System Tune-Up?
I picked some up at Walmart ($6.47) and it is about the same price as SeaFoam ($6.74 at Walmart and over $11.00 at NAPA)
Gumout claims their product cleans carbon from valves better than SeaFoam. See:

https://gumout.com/gumout-science/performance/injectors-ports

and gumoutproveit.com

mikekot3

Chevron Techron works well in my vehicles keeping fuel injectors clean. It is the only one approved by General Motors.I use it every oil change in the fuel tank. It works well enough it is available at general motors dealerships under the ac delco brand. I know this because I worked at a dealership for many years.
It is more of a maintenance item not a mechanic in a can. For really bad cylinder carbon on piston rings and valves they sell GM top engine cleaner. My dad's truck has run on mobil 1 and techron for over 325k miles.

Edited by mikekot3
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

I must have gotten aggravated or had extra time somehow but I spent a ton of it on researching fuel system cleaners.  I came away thinking that Techron was the best.  It is and has been what I use in all road vehicles.  I still use SeaFoam and I swear it has helped but when I researched and downloaded the MSDS I was wondering why it cost so much.  I blended a version of it and have used it as well.  Hard to tell.  Sometimes nothing will help outside of some tools, time and parts.

• Like 3

WHX??

I don't really know why but I have never been a real believer of fuel or and other kind of engine additives. Maybe because I am hip to the manufacturer's marketing hype. It's kinda like the couple of times I tried radiator stop leak.... I shoulda just pulled it and fixed it right. 
In the HVAC world they have all kinds of additives  they hype up to get me to try and sell to my customers. ...never bought any of their bs. I mean how can stuff in a can be a substitute for parts and wrenches for tired mechanicals? 
Just my :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

JackC

I had a check engine light come on..  The error code indicated an Oxygen Sensor.  I added a can of SeaFoam to a full tank and after running it through the check engine light is now out.  It looks like it cleaned something.

DennisThornton

I don't really know why but I have never been a real believer of fuel or and other kind of engine additives. Maybe because I am hip to the manufacturer's marketing hype. It's kinda like the couple of times I tried radiator stop leak.... I shoulda just pulled it and fixed it right. 
In the HVAC world they have all kinds of additives  they hype up to get me to try and sell to my customers. ...never bought any of their bs. I mean how can stuff in a can be a substitute for parts and wrenches for tired mechanicals? 
Just my :twocents-02cents:

Very often stuff in a can can't help but man when it does!  Numerous times I've had Techron smooth out a miss in my transportation.  Many times Seafoam has done the same in small engines.  Several times a stop leak powder has stopped radiator leaks and stop leak additives have stopped oil leaks.  Just saved me from tearing into the rear end in my van!  Was leaking 90w bad!  Now, not at all!  Auto trans fix in a bottle has solved more than one issue.  It has also failed more than once!  Now I'm not saying that a Engine Rebuild In A Can has rings, bearing, seals and gaskets included, but I know for a fact that some of the products work some of the time.  Some only work for awhile but even that can be a life saver to buy you some time to arrange a proper fix!

I've fixed several radiators and if they are on the verge of falling apart nothing in a container is going to fix them, but still might but some time.  On the other hand if a slipped wrench puts a tiny hole in an otherwise solid tube some powder might just fix it!  Now I'd still rather solder it up but not everyone can or can easily afford to pay someone else who can.  Probably a lot of money wasted buying wishes in a bottle but sometimes they can be a godsend!

• Like 1

mikekot3

I use seafoam on my small engines also and it seems to work pretty well on jets and other orifices in carbs that are partially restricted.
Another company I find helpful is BG products. They offer a variety of helpful chemicals for automotive use.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I use seafoam on my small engines also and it seems to work pretty well on jets and other orifices in carbs that are partially restricted.
Another company I find helpful is BG products. They offer a variety of helpful chemicals for automotive use.

I recently decided to give BG a try.  The MSDS shows what I would call more active ingredients than Seafoam.  But after using both BG and Seafoam I think I've still got to order a carb kit...  Hard to fix lack of PO maintenance (well, sometimes even current owner...)!  Unreasonable to expect chemicals to remove what a fuel filter should have!

• Like 1