Sign in to follow this  
rondo

Carb Questions

rondo

This is still in relation to my de-surge thread (further down) on the K-241. Like I said - new plug and leaned it out a bit - somewhat better. But I'm fairly certain it's the float. Was running it today and noticed that when I idle it down, I have gas coming out of the front of the carb and it definitely runs rich. My question: Do I need to take the whole carb off to work the float issue, or can I just remove the bowl, etc., as it sits now (on the tractor)?

Any other hints or suggestions welcome.

KyBlue

You can remove the bowl with it mounted, however, Removal is NOT hard, just make sure you get a new carb gasket.

I would pull the carb off, pull it apart, let it soak in some carb cleaner over night, then rebuild the carb, flush out all the old trash, gum, or whatever else is in that carb..

linen beige

Scott's right in that you can take off the bowl without removing the carb, but it's gonna be a little hard to hold the float needle up while you reinstall the pin in the float! It's a whole lot easier to just take off the carb so you can turn it upside down and let gravity hold the needle in for you. And while you have it off and opened up you really should just go ahead and clean it out and install a kit.

rondo

Carb kit it is then.

Thanks guys. I'm installing a wood stove in the house, so in between processes I'll yank the carb from the horse and play around with that a little at a time.

Take care.

KyBlue

Give it a good soak in some carb cleaner.. you can buy it by the gallon @ your local parts store. I dont think its too expensive, and lasts a good while.. I cant tell ya how long Ive had my galllon..

Then you can give all the lil passages a nice blast of compressed air and blow em all clean.