Dkphillips

Predator Engine for 1967 Lawn Ranger

Dkphillips

While restoring my 1967 Lawn Ranger L157 I made the decision to install a Predator 122cc engine to replace the Tecumseh H60 (listed for sale in the "For Sale" section). If any of you have done this please give me some ideas of how to handle the gas tank cap problem. The hole in the hood of the Lawn Ranger is of course not lined up with the Predator gas tank and that wouldn't matter anyway as there is no way to loosen the cap with the hood so close to the top of the tank. And removing the hood each time to fill up does not sound like something that I want to do. At this time I have not yet installed the Predator as I have not had time and I am still pondering how to  handle the gas tank problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

fast88pu

I am doing the same thing on my 68. If you pm me an email or text # I can send you some photos to help

SPINJIM

I'm thinking of putting a Honda 160GX on a 1968 Lawn Ranger (if I can't get the Tecy working).   I might not even use the Honda gas tank because of the problem of removing the hood to fill the Honda tank.   I picked up a gas tank from another brand.  It came with a support base that I think may be high enough to line up with the hole in the hood.   I figured that if I can't bring the opening to the tank, then why not bring the tank to the opening in the hood.   I'll post pictures if it works.

Someone else on the forum fabricated an extension on the replacement gas tank so that it would extend through the opening in the hood.  It looked good if you're able to do some fabricating.   (Be careful welding a  gas tank.)

Jim

• Like 1

slammer302

I have not done the predator swap on a lawn ranger but have on other horses i usually remove the gastank from the predator motor and use the original gas tank.  Their is a lot more fabricating involved when putting a clone motor on a lawn ranger because the hood is alot closer to everything i know it can be done i've seen other members do it. I have a lawn ranger in need of a motor but i think i'm going to put a kohler 7 or 8hp on it and make it a worker    

• Like 1

Rob R

I am doing the same thing on my 68. If you pm me an email or text # I can send you some photos to help

Kyle send me the photos too... and get going on the foot pedal for one of your GT 14s.... get off Red Square and get the torch going......!

redrooster

I would not put a Chinese motor on it!

do you have the original Tecumseh gas tank with the long neck made for the Lawn Ranger?   if you do , i'd suggest mounting it in the stock location with a fabricated bracket that bolts to the frame

• Like 3

RedRanger

I put a Predator on a lawn vac last year.  Seems like a very good engine for under $150.  Fires right up and runs strong.
Other than being Chinese and sold at HF, it's a bargain.

slammer302

Only problems I've had with the few I have is the pull start rope likes to break once I replaced with better rope have not had any problems and the carbs do not like the crappy gas that they sell these days but I just don't let them sit with gas in them for long periods of time

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

DennisThornton

No pics for the rest of us??  Even small ones?

Xjchief

I did the 6.5 hp 212cc swap on a 606 came out good. What a great running motor.  Good luck

image.jpg

• Like 2

ricksrj58

i just made a stand to mount the tank on
DSC01186_zps5781bbcd.jpg

• Like 4

slammer302

If the muffler is going to be a problem i know alot of the go carting web sites sell all different size and shape exhaust pipe setups or you can have sum fun and make ur own i did on my suburban used a old set of bicycle handle bars    

barrys pics 072.jpg

• Like 1

Xjchief

looks real nice if you wanted to customize that predator ie: cone air filter billet parts rejet kits and straight pipe exhaust check out hotrodminibike.com. i did that for my minibike.

ricksrj58

i welded a plate on the frame to bolt the engine onto
DSC01562_zpsa6mdpasm.jpg
i then made a simple stand for the tank to sit on
DSC01559_zpsb0vpepuw.jpg
DSC01560_zpsnmezw89m.jpg
i did have to trim a little piece of the belt guard
DSC01561_zpsbud4nljg.jpg

Dkphillips

I put a Predator on my Lawn Ranger after screwing with the Tecumseh FOREVER. But I went at it a little differently. I cut the hood right at the seam between the top and front parts of the hood. Than I welded in a 2" piece of sheet metal which makes the hood just barely clears the engine which I mounted so the belt and belt guard would still work. I had to put a 2" spacer (small piece of small diameter pipe) at the front bottom of hood where it bolts to the frame and it is not even noticeable. Not sure I have a photo of that but can take one if anyone is interested. b5cea090315181d1dd6977d8af3f8072.jpgcf21c9aa644f734abba35ce1563e5616.jpgfcdb4a9938ee0cf791b4d1c271bfecaf.jpgc853b9cf4d1efecd68d17e7bc619c0ce.jpg0c06d34a4868e14fa2bdf036b88ce7df.jpg5d44848dc78dff7820815eb67fbe3ea6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to tell about the gas tank. I welded up a mount to fasten to the original gas tank mount so that part was still original. The gas tank location hole was my main reason for using the old tank rather than trying to figure out how to use the tank on the Predator. And the Predator is a great running engine even if it did come from Harbor Freight. It starts EVERY TIME on the first pull!! I have yet to see a bad review on this engine. In fact I have been thinking about purchasing another 212cc engine in case I have to replace another engine. The price will probably increase on these engines due to their popularity.

• Like 5

DennisThornton

I put a Predator on my Lawn Ranger after screwing with the Tecumseh FOREVER. But I went at it a little differently. I cut the hood right at the seam between the top and front parts of the hood. Than I welded in a 2" piece of sheet metal which makes the hood just barely clears the engine which I mounted so the belt and belt guard would still work. I had to put a 2" spacer (small piece of small diameter pipe) at the front bottom of hood where it bolts to the frame and it is not even noticeable. Not sure I have a photo of that but can take one if anyone is interested. 

Forgot to tell about the gas tank. I welded up a mount to fasten to the original gas tank mount so that part was still original. The gas tank location hole was my main reason for using the old tank rather than trying to figure out how to use the tank on the Predator. And the Predator is a great running engine even if it did come from Harbor Freight. It starts EVERY TIME on the first pull!! I have yet to see a bad review on this engine. In fact I have been thinking about purchasing another 212cc engine in case I have to replace another engine. The price will probably increase on these engines due to their popularity.

I'll skip any comments about the welding but I must say I'm impressed with how it all turned out!  Did you sacrifice another hood to get that 2" hood extension?  If you made that from a piece of flat then I'm even more impressed!

Dkphillips

Did not use another hood. Sheet metal, vise, hammer, etc is all I used. It really was not that difficult. I agree on the welding but it works!!

DennisThornton

Did not use another hood. Sheet metal, vise, hammer, etc is all I used. It really was not that difficult. I agree on the welding but it works!!

None the less, impressive metal work and while it is indeed not that difficult it is beyond the imagination of many.  You did well!  Great to share what you did to encourage others to take a challenge!  Shows what can be done when there is a need or desire!

Good job!

Dkphillips

Thanks for the kind words Dennis. I absolutely love doing things like the hood job. There were other options but I didn't like any of them...bending the hood out on the carb side, moving the location of the engine back to fit causes more work due to belt size and belt guard size and original gas tank crowded to where it would be a little harder to fit. Overall I think I took the best option. If I can encourage someone else to take up this hobby that would be great. There are too many people with time on their hands that would really enjoy "horsing around"!

Doug

SylvanLakeWH

Very cool idea!

Back to life!

rem722

Hey Guys,

I am restoring my 603 to be used as a worker. I installed a Honda 190cc and it worked out great! I even went as far as to put a split tilt hood on her to service the engine.

TEAM580
On 9/9/2015 at 1:58 PM, redrooster said:

I would not put a Chinese motor on it!

Why not?

Tom

jb4249

OK just updating the post. I have some of the paint work done and the engine mounted. I had to do some welding on the fenders, they were cracked. I am going to use an after market seat that mounts differently so I need to make a seat mount. Still waiting for the hood to come back from the metal guy that is helping me add some length to the hood to accommodate the new engine.

Ted

100_8424.JPG

100_8425.JPG

100_8426.JPG

100_8427.JPG

100_8428.JPG

100_8429.JPG

100_8430.JPG

100_8431.JPG

Edited by jb4249
wrong topic
  • Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Looking great!

Nice job on the paint and engine mounting!