crazyhorse1056

Need info on a diff gear

crazyhorse1056

i have a diff gear stamp 7242 would like to know what transmission it will work with 

Racinbob

Can you post a picture? I'm not seeing that # on any list.

:WRS:

crazyhorse1056

image.jpg

image.jpg

Racinbob

Are you sure the last 2 isn't a 3? It looks like the differential case and gear out of a 5003/5010. Originally a 3502 replaced by part #7243. Hopefully Mike and/or Steve will chime in.

crazyhorse1056
no it's 7242 i was thinking it was the same as the 7243 

Racinbob

Well, ya got me befuzzled. Let's wait for the gurus. Steve probably won't be back until the first of the week. I think he's goofing off in Minnesota.

By the way, are we talking about either a 5003 or 5010 transmission?

crazyhorse1056
yes I'm redoing a 5003 

Racinbob

Reading your first post again you're wanting to know what it fits in. The part looks new. No worries, I'm sure you'll get an answer here. My brain shifted into the wrong gear :)

Edited by Racinbob

stevasaurus

That is the newer style differential with the bolt on bull gear.  It will fit in either the 5003 (RJ's) or the 5010 (Suburbans) transmissions.  It requires the correct mushroom gear to match the teeth with the bull gear.  You need part #3559...this part should be in all the 5010's,  The RJ's came with #3502 which has 8 teeth on the upper part of the mushroom gear...the #3559 (I believe) has 11 teeth.  :)   Give us a picture of your mushroom gear if you would. 

• Like 1

crazyhorse1056

image.jpg

image.jpg

This one has 11 teeth and my old one has 8 teeth do you know what side cover to use with the 11 teeth gear needle bearing or ball Bearing 

stevasaurus

That is the correct mushroom (11/44 toothed) gear for that bull gear on the differential housing.  If you look at your old mushroom gear it and your old differential housing with bull gear have less teeth.  You can just switch them both out with no problem.  As far as the 2 side plates, you can use either one of them also since both bearings have the 3/4" ID.  The needle bearing side plate is the improved version.  The S8K  ball bearing is designed to have some wiggle room for the mushroom gear with brake drum shaft...it was wearing out those bearings faster then if they had the needle bearing in there.  Therefore, the needle bearing is the better choice...BUT...you are doing a #5003 transmission.  The needle bearing plate should have the bake band mount at 45 degrees, you are going to want a plate with the brake band mount at vertical...unless you want to make a few linkage changes so the brake works.  Hope that kind of explains things.  :)
Here is a short video of your differential...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SAJ3lU3gIg

crazyhorse1056

Yes it does and I have both types of side plates for the 400 transmission thanks for the help