pacer

KT-17 flywheel disaster from a tiny washer!

pacer

The steering on one of my C-175s was terrible, lot of slack and very stiff, so I decide to fix it. The shaft piece with the fan on it had frozen to the bearing? on the axle end and having slack at the other end I couldnt add shims - in order to remove this piece its necessary to remove the engine (bummer) Any way this went routinely, unsticking the shaft and cleaning the bearing. I was re-installing the KT-17 and on connecting the solenoid I dropped a 'star' washer .... so I gave a cursory look-see for it and didnt find it so ... hey, dont really need it anyhow!:angry-nono:. Finish up and it starts up fine and drive it and yes, the steering is much better. Go to restart is a little later and it locks up ... say what!! Remove screen and peep in and see the starter bendix/drive is in the out position, poke it back in and starts up OK, kill it and re try - locks up again!  Anyway to cut to the finale, I remove the tin and see the problem ---

See the little star washer on the upper left of the flywheel, thats like the one I lost and found giblets of in the flywheel area - done a real job on the magnets and the coils, huh?

So am I gonna have to have a complete flywheel or does anybody maybe have some loose magnets? Its common to have to re-glue them. And I'll have to replace the coil ring (I cant think of the proper term for them)

Update -- was prowling the 'bay' and found a flywheel (Joes) and a 'stator' (thanks for the memory prod slammer) for a total of $60 so I feel a little better now (fumblefingers!)

001.JPG

Edited by pacer
found the parts

slammer302

I believe that round thing is called a stator

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Now that's some really  BAD LUCK.   :text-imsorry:

• Like 2

AMC RULES
HOLY CRAP!    :jaw:

KC9KAS
HOLY CRAP!    :jaw:

That is putting it nicely!

• Like 1

boovuc

Well......................to put it mildly..........................that just sucks!

WHX??

If I may be so bold to suggest you loctite the screws that hold the stator on as they have been known to vibrate loose and make the mess all over again.:(