milesheather

How to I identify the engine?

milesheather

I have a wheel horse that I can't identify either the body or the engine. I'm pretty sure the tractor itself is fine, but the engine's fuel system was disassembled and I would like to get it working. I can't read the model of the engine because the plate is too worn. Is there another way to identify the engine?

AMC RULES
Post a pict here.  :handgestures-thumbupright:
:WRS:

953 nut
:WRS:      A few good pictures would be a big help, also there is probably a plate riveted to the steering tower that will tell us the tractor's model and year.  
:wwp:
:text-welcomeconfetti:

KC9KAS
:WRS:    

AMC RULES
Not sure which... :scratchead:
it's either a 1963 model 953...
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/830-1963-953/
or, a 1964 model 1054.   :confusion-shrug:
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/5169-1964-1054/
Not to worry...these model experts will be along soon to help you out.   
Nice looking 
:wh: , either way.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

pacer

I'm not sure whether its a 953 or 1054 either, but the engine is the Kohler K-241 10hp - if it hasnt been changed and it doesnt look to be, thats a very original looking tractor -- nice!

953 nut
:text-coolphotos:
With the exception of the real early production 953s the 1054, 1054A and 953 are basically the same; just different serial numbers. There should be a decal on the steering tower with the shift pattern and a serial number on it (if it hasn't been removed). The early 953 had different headlights and a Ross steering system which is not present on yours. Since your headlights have been changed out all bets are off there. If the front tires were the originals I would say it is a 1054A but over the past 50 years the front tires may have been changed. That being said, you have a real nice :wh: and can justify referring to it as either model you wish. Thanks for posting the photos and if we can help you out with any projects you have in the works please post it.

milesheather

Thank you very much. I was able to get it put back together and make it run.

MikesRJ

Looks like a K181 to me, but I'd pull the head off and measure the bore to be sure.

Edited by MikesRJ

953 nut
:woohoo:     Glad to hear you got it running.            :greetings-clappingyellow:

If your tractor has the original engine and is a 953 (1963) it would be a Kohler K241S 46135A, if it is a 1054 (1964) it would be a K241S 46215A and if it is a 1054A (1965) it would be a K241S 47176. In 1963 the engine was rated at 9.6 HP,  and in '64 and '65 it was a 10 HP. Everything is interchangeable from one to another so I don't know why the HP changed. It is unlikely (though not impossible) that a smaller engine would have been transplanted so I would go with the 241. Edited by 953 nut

roadapples

K series engines have the model # behind the drive pulley if it`s not to hard to get off.

• Excellent 1