Sign in to follow this  
p38js

C160 voltage from rectifier

p38js

I have a c160 auto that is not charging.  What kind of voltage should i be seeing from the battery terminal. and what should i be seeing from the the alternator side of things at the rectifier?

Save Old Iron

battery voltage

approx 12.6v with engine off
13.8 to 14.5v with engine running full throttle

alternator
28 to 50 volts AC with engine at full throttle

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

AC volts are measured directly across the two AC terminals on the regulator assy. No need to remove the connector from the regulator to make this measurement

p38js

Thank you for the replies found the problem wire coming from battery terminal on rectifier was broken in the crimp. Put new terminal end on and we are charging again.

Save Old Iron
:handgestures-thumbupright:

Darkitec

Similar issue, again, I may have a wiring issue the plug was melted to a puddle and unusable    What is the correct wiring for the stator vs battery connection.   I'm getting voltage all over the place 1, 6, 3, 9, 12 0, 4, 6, 2, and so forth.  L shape connection rectifier from a c160.

Edited by Darkitec

Darkitec

Using the tests I could find the stator is putting out 32 volts ac, occasionally dropping to 6 to 7 volts and then returning to 32 volts.   Resistance is .3 ohm.   just a bit higher than the .1 to .2 ohm recommended.    Is this fixable or is it new Stator time??

Edited by Darkitec

gwest_ca

For any signs of overheating the wire connections are not tight causing resistance = heat. They could be physically loose or a layer of rust is all it takes. After cleaning the terminals and tightening the connection or replacing the terminals fill the connector with dielectric grease  and that will keep future corrosion a bay. This product does not conduct electricity so no problem with close terminals.

The C-160 used a 15 amp charging system. The terminals are usually identified on the regulator. If not the illustrations below show them.

I believe the Raider 12 used a 10 amp charging system so that regulator can not be used.

I would go with the stator as is.

The body of the regulator requires a good ground at it's mounting bolts. On these older tractors many of us add a ground wire to a known good ground just be sure.

When you have everything ready to go one last check.

Turn the ignition key to the RUN position with the engine not running.

Check the voltage across the battery posts and record it.

Move the red test lead to the DC+ terminal on the regulator. You should have the same voltage as was at the battery.

If not fix it. The path the charge current takes to get to the battery is compromised.

Turn the key OFF.

Garry

Erratic voltage readings are common with a digital meter. They pick up noise from the ignition system. Have an analog meter you can try?