mikeg 57

no start issue on 724z w/24hp onan

mikeg 57

Hi guys. I just got a 724 Z Zero turn for...Free!  its a 1994 but only has bout 400hrs. The previous owner said it just quit while cutting. While going over it I found oil from leaking LH Drive motor probably caused short and blew 25amp starting & ignition fuse. Now it turns over but no spark. Hate to buy new coil (200 Bucks) but no way to check if maybe its only seat safety switch. Any way around switch to check if that's the problem? Switch looks pretty worn down on contact pad. Any Ideas? 

953 nut
:WRS:   There are lots of reasons for no spark, until you have ruled the others out I wouldn't buy a coil. If you can download a wiring diagram for the unit from the internet that would be a great starting point. I wasn't able to find a diagram on our site but am sure that you have safety switches on both motion control arms and the seat. Probably the brakes and blade engagement switch (PTO) have input to the ignition. 

Hope someone here can help you out with a manual, There are several Onan manuals in our download section, you may be able to gain information from one of them.
:text-welcomeconfetti:

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

There is a wiring diagram in this manual
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4597-tractor-1994-724-z-da-om-ipl-wiring-snpdf/

You need to get 12 volts to the ignition coil in RUN and START

The engine service manual
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/6-engine-onan-p216-p218-p220-p240-sm-492-4006pdf/

Please post the serial number.
Toro says it will be 49000001-49999999
The manual says 490001-499999

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca

mikeg 57

Thanks guys. I'm gonna start with wiring diagram down load and see where I can get. just picked it up Fri. Just starting my little stable. I've had my 310-8 since new in '89 and it just keeps going. 
  mikeg 57

gwest_ca

Added the illustrated parts list so changed the link and file name in my previous post.

Garry

mikeg 57

Thanks Garry.

mikeg 57

Well thanks for the help. Finally back tracked it to bad seat switch! I really appreciated the down loads Garry.

953 nut
:woohoo:                        Glad to hear you found the problem without having to spend a bunch of money needlessly.                    :text-bravo: