Brrly1

Big Ten Football is here and Now

papaglide

I think that all of Michigan's wins were against Bob Davie!!

• Like 1

HorseFixer

I didn't realize Bob Davie coached in 1887? :handgestures-thumbupright:   Anyways the facts is In 1887 (Thanksgiving Day Weekend) The Wolverines Rode into South Bend and taught the Munchkins how to play Football, and they been Spankin that Butt Ever Since. Michigan Leads the series by 7 Games!
Oh and on being SKUNKED Looks like I see a couple 38-0  Zeros there. And many more ending in -0- ZERO   :greetings-clappingyellow:   :woohoo:   Remember we didn't want to quit the series, the Munchkins did. Gee I wonder why?   :eusa-think:  Well we named a song after them.  :ychain:    I love Football Season! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDf5NTPJ0nc

ND.png

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 2

papaglide

"I think it's trending up. It's something that we need to get in line to get that going," Kelly said Wednesday on The Rich Eisen Show. "I think that's something that everybody wants to get going and get Michigan back on the schedule. … I think that sentiment is coming back to the forefront of where college football needs to be and some of those classic rivalries coming back together. I know we're going to be working hard to see if we can get that done."

The game will make a return.

You will also notice that we like to leave on a winning note!!

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Notre Dame should just bite the bullet and be a Big Ten Team.  While I kind of like the Independent thinking...ie...you are not stuck playing in a bad conference and you have control over your schedule...if your schedule is not up there in the RPI 's, you can be undefeated and still sit out the Final Four.  It happened last year to TCU or BYU??  (I think).  I guess I am trying to say...the independent thing work some years ago...it is not what is working anymore.  Conferences and playoffs in those conferences at the end of the regular season seem to be the way to go.  We will see.  This year is going to see a lot of good teams, and I think Notre Dame is really playing a cake schedule this year.  I think they will have to be 12 and 0 to even be considered.  Just my thoughts on this.  Maybe Michigan and Notre Dame can share a room at the Kalamazoo Motel and watch the Final four this year.  :ychain:  :handgestures-thumbupright:  :bow-blue:  :)

GO ILLINOIS

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 5

Racinbob

We all know that schedules are set years ahead. Notre Dame has most all of the teams set through 2020 and some through 2025. Michigan State is back for the next couple of years and a splattering of Big 10 teams mixed in. With some of the seasons not filled out yet it's quite possible more Big 10 teams will be played but, of course, it depends on the other teams schedules as welI. I would love to see some of their best rivalries back which includes Michigan and even Purdue since it was a inner-state game. In my opinion the affiliation with the ACC isn't doing a thing for them but like it or not they are stuck with it for now as are their fans. Chickens? Hardly. That was first coined by the legendary Brady Hoke and the children obviously picked up on it when they played that song at the game. Of course we were watching it and we couldn't decide if we thought it was funny or disgusting. I attended many ND/Michigan games and it used to be that there was nothing but respect between the teams and fans. Obviously something has changed and it's not for the better. I also would like them to be a Big 10 team but I doubt we'll ever see it. As far as the playoff Steve, TCU and BYU did have a loss last year. I don't know if I'd say a cake schedule but definitely down from the normal. If by some chance ND does go 12-0 they will make it. 11-1? Not without help from the other top rated teams. But one outstanding game doesn't make a season so I ain't counting my chickens yet :rolleyes:

Oh, by the way, isn't papaglide a handsome devil?:P

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

RMCIII

Notre Dame should just bite the bullet and be a Big Ten Team.  While I kind of like the Independent thinking...ie...you are not stuck playing in a bad conference and you have control over your schedule...if your schedule is not up there in the RPI 's, you can be undefeated and still sit out the Final Four.  It happened last year to TCU or BYU??  (I think).  I guess I am trying to say...the independent thing work some years ago...it is not what is working anymore.  Conferences and playoffs in those conferences at the end of the regular season seem to be the way to go.  We will see.  This year is going to see a lot of good teams, and I think Notre Dame is really playing a cake schedule this year.  I think they will have to be 12 and 0 to even be considered.  Just my thoughts on this.  Maybe Michigan and Notre Dame can share a room at the Kalamazoo Motel and watch the Final four this year.  :ychain:  :handgestures-thumbupright:  :bow-blue:  :)

GO ILLINOIS

Actually Steve, what happened was Baylor and TCU we considered Co-Champions in the same conference. Since they would not pick either one as a true champion, it helped to validate why OSU should be the 4th seed in the play-off. Up until that time it was TCU.

Rob

Edited by RMCIII
  • Like 1

papaglide

I agree guys, they belong in the Big 10 (or Big Joke as some of my friends in Michigan call the conference). The ACC thing just doesnt work for me at all. They could leave Hockey East and be Big 10 in football, basketball, and hockey. To me that makes the most sense.
That being said, could they still play Navy and USC along with Army or Air force every year? I dunno.

• Like 2

Hodge71

Last week has me befuddled. I try to look at things more objectively but its too early in the season to make any sense of anything..... I guess Im going to hope the teams that left me down last week (Including my Nittany Lions) dont do it again...

Notre Dame Irish, Illinois Fightin' Illini, Purdue Boilermakers, Wisconsin Badgers, Maryland Terrapins, PSU NITTANY LIONS, Minnesota Golden Gophers, Ohio State cookies, Rutgers Scarlet Knights,
Iowa Hawkeyes, Nebraska "Huskers", Indiana Hoosiers, Michigan State Spartans, Northwestern Purple people eaters

Well Dino messaged me and I forgot the Michigan game...Im going with Big Blue... Buuuuut I also rethought the Sparty/Ducks game and Im going with Oregon Ducks....Oh boy what am I thinking? Im either going to look like a king or a fool I guess

Edited by Hodge71
Forgot a team and second thoughts on Ducks game
  • Like 3

HorseFixer

Yeah we like to leave on a winning note too by (7) Seven Games!  :greetings-clappingyellow:  I agree with Steve Cake Schedule, heres some Ice Cream to go with it.  :icecream:  On the Schedual dropping thing.... The truth of the matter is after beating the Irish 3 consecutive years in a row 2009, 2010, 2011 with mediocre coaches. In 2012 when the Wolverines went to South Bend to Play Notre Dame Michigan’s Athletic Director David Brandon was handed a letter from Notre Dames Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick with NO EXPLANATION of what it was or what it contained. When David Brandon opened it the next day when opening it, he learned that Notre Dame was canceling the annual series between the two schools after their meeting in 2014..... That was a back handed way for them to tell Michigan, handing a sealed letter at a football game. Brian Kelly then said on the news that night that the reason was Michigan was not a long standing traditional game and didn't hold as much tradition as Army, Stanford, USC. Really? Hmmm seems like the Team that taught you the game in the first place along with the one that named you or should I say coined the nick name The Fighting Irish  Which by the way was Northwestern. http://www.und.com/trads/nd-m-fb-name.html  No Tradition??????? Really?  http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Enemies-Notre-Dame-Michigan-Football/dp/0836280725  Steve If you would like to read this book I have it along with many others.

It seems Everytime  something doesn't go their way Example: (Lou Holts fixing to break Knute ROCKHEADS record (6) games from it). they pushed him out the door!!   http://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/20/sports/in-a-mystery-holtz-quits-notre-dame.html  You don't leave a University like that without giving a viable reason, but everyone knew. I myself living 12 Miles From South Bend saw this on television minutes after it was announced. It all had and still does have a strange funk about it till this day. I always thought records were made to be broken? Was Lou Holtz a Great Coach? I thought so until I read this Book.  http://www.amazon.com/Under-The-Tarnished-Dome-Football/dp/0671899384   Was this the reason Lou left 3 years after the book was released?   Steve if you would like to read it, Ill bring it to Scott's Meet -n- Greet.

As far as them joining a Conference.......... Nope!!!!!! Schedual has nothing to do with it! It is all about money to them. THEY WANT IT ALL!!!!  They don't want to split the money with no one.   http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/12/08/college-football-playoff-conference-payouts/  I don't dream this stuff up, I research and read it!  ;)   Anyways It's Football Season.... Are we having fun yet??  :ychain:

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

I would like to read the book...I will return it.  :)  At this point, I think we should just enjoy the season.  Picks should be coming in...tomorrow's Friday. 

• Like 2

RMCIII

Just 1 more thing to add to this thread of ND/Michigan schedules, ect...... As President of any college, it is not about education, it is about having enough funds to operate the college for years to come. How does that happen? NOT through scholastics when it comes to the top 25 NCAA ranked teams each year! It is sports. Every once in a while an Ivy League will grace the top 25 for a year. Then they are out of it for a LONG TIME. ABC/CBS/NBC/ESPN all have something to do with this now also. We all know the networks are giving back also to the colleges. SO for OSU and VT, ESPN Monday night football gave each college $1million minimum. Winner/loser the college walked away with $1million dollars. My speculation is more along the lines of $2 or 3 million. When you factor in Dish Network, last minute upgrades to the cable providers to see the game, and anything else that I may not be privy too, you can bet that each college did ok on Labor Day Monday Night Football! To a President that will help his budget for that year.... SO, when a team, regardless of schedule strength, receives a high ranking, it is going to draw networks to bid on the game also.....The networks are not locked into any game until that year. YES, they are locked into said contracts for so many ACC, SEC, BIG 10 PAC 12 games, but the networks can also bid for more games in the season..... SOOOOO, in the end, it all comes down to $$$$$$$$ for the college! Sad to say that, but it is....

Rob

Oh shucks, I still have to get my picks in..... BTW, did anyone check the lines in Vegas for some of these games..... IF Hawaii covers the spread, someone could walk away with a BIG, and I am talking BIG pocket of cash!

• Like 2

RMCIII

Here we go:

Against my better gut instinct ND(I think this team is going to surprise ND and may actually win), Illinois, Perdue, Wisconsin, Maryland, Michigan, Penn St., Colorado St., Ohio State, Washington St., Iowa(John, you better send ALL your mojo!), Nebraska, Florida Intl, Oregon, Northwestern!

WOW!!!!!!! If a team is going to lose that is trying to establish it's dominance, it will be early in the schedule.......

• Like 1

papaglide

Horse fixer, other than being a NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH HATER, what is your point? Why so much vitriol? Why waste so much time and effort RESEARCHING and POSTING all things "bad" about Notre Dame. How much time did you waste looking up, quoting, organizing, rough drafting and proofreading? Why did what started as a simple jibe back and forth evolve into a voluminous, hating post about Notre Dame? 

• Like 3

papaglide

I would like to read the book...I will return it.  :)  At this point, I think we should just enjoy the season.  Picks should be coming in...tomorrow's Friday. 

Steve, don't waste your time unless you really have a dislike for ND and want to believe things. It is written tabloid style and has a ton of mud slinging in it. A lot of the facts are "based" on hearsay. It isn't really objective but written with some dislike. I tried to read it but never finished it as it seemed too "sensational". Just my opinion. I thought that I would learn things about ND. Don't waste money on it like I did. 

• Like 1

Brrly1

Mike, here's the deal. It's pretty basic, that's Mr Statistic!! Don't think I need to say that HuH Duke?? On the lighter side of things you guys have been hammer down in here,like wow!! Anyways earlier this week one of the former Hawkeyes passed away at home in Iowa. Tyler Sash passed away only 27 years old. I don't know much more than that other than the Hawkeyes will pay respect by blocking out the Hawkeye emblem with the #9. Ok then let's get  back to why were here. Rob I believe that the pac 12 has something to learn and it starts this week at Michigan State sorry! We've been here before but the Big 10 has started to come around. Anyways I'm for seeing victories by the following teams this week. Notre Dame, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, Maryland, Michigan, Penn State, Minnesota, Ohio State, Rutgers, Iowa, Nebraska, and Northwestern. Don't worry Jim starts getting into the mix and its Like Battlestations!!! This is just The Duke!! Never fails, Indiana should be able to handle this. Yes and if you reread the part where I am talking about Michigan State wouldn't you actually think thats my pick??? Hello, See ya, bye

Edited by Brrly1
  • Like 4

HorseFixer

Rob, that is incorrect! Networks are locked into contracts YEARS IN ADVANCE if they choose to do so!  ND owns their own Local TV and Radio Stations, it is Channel 16 and it is an NBC Station. Incidentally, Just about makes me sick to watch them because they are so One Sided. They have Contracts with ND till the end of time it just about seems. Its been that way for years and most likely will stay that way. However, They may sell the programing to Other stations.  Presently as in many years past ND is under contract with NBC years in advance.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9186897/nbc-extends-notre-dame-fighting-irish-football-deal-2025

Gee

HorseFixer

Mike,

Nothing personal.  :handgestures-thumbupright:    It's simple really.... You either love em or hate em. It probably doesn't help that I live so close to them and have to listen to the Rhetoric  on 4 local  TV Stations and their one sided reports. I have many many friends that are IRISH FANS and they hate Michigan more than I do ND. N A T U R A L   E N E M I E S   It most likely would be a great name for a book.  :ychain:   John is correct, that's just me. that being said It's time for my picks. But it comes with a story.

After 33 years of marriage I knuckled under and Let MJ have a puppy. She was looking for a  Shih Tzu, when she finally found one in an add, she said can we go look at them they have two males left?  I said sure, where are they?
She said Ann Arbor :o WTF 160 miles AWAY!!! So on July 4th the next day we were on our way, I told her on the way to Ann Arbor Hey being your getting the puppy, I get to pick him out of the litter and name him. That was fine with her. Let me Introduce to you BO  Gee...... I wonder where he got that name from????    :eusa-think:   I have decided to let him pick em this week!

BO2.jpg

Notre Dame 
ILLINOIS
PURDUE
WISCONSIN
MARYLAND

MICHIGAN
PENN ST.
MINNESOTA
OHIO ST.
WASHINGTON ST
IOWA  AT  IOWA ST.
NEBRASKA
INDIANA
MICHIGAN ST.
NORTHWESTERN

Edited by HorseFixer
  • Like 3

squonk

Someone's been spiking the coffee in the boiler room again! :naughty:

• Like 3

jackhammer

HorseFixer ???   Where is your Notre Dames' game pick,....   you better start douuuble checking BO

Notre Dame, ... Illinois, ... Purdue, ... Wisconsin, ... Maryland, ... Michigan, ... Penn State, ... Minnesota, ... Ohio, ... Rutgers, ... Iowa, ... Nebraska, ... Indiana, ... Michigan, ... Northwestern.

• Like 2

papaglide

Duke, all is well! Nothing personal taken. I wasn't quite sure where you were coming from and really didn't know what to do!! 
To set the record straight, I was actually rooting for Michigan when Rich Rod was there because I like him!! Pile on Irish Fans!!
It really hurts to say this but  BO is cute.........ughhhh!!!

• Like 2

Racinbob

Duke, I was also thinking it was getting overly intense but then some of your words hit me. Having lived just outside of South Bend for 45 years I know very well the attention Notre Dame gets. I loved it though because I'm a fan. But now the tables have turned. All we hear is Gators this, Seminoles that........I hate it!!!! OK, nothing personal....nuff said.....let the bashing continue. :violence-impact::)

Now, the puppy. Shih Tzu's are pretty special to us. We've had a few over the years. One of them even won the Indiana State championship in 4-H dog obedience with our oldest daughter. Bo certainly is cute but are you sure you want to saddle him with that name? I'm kinda leaning more towards......Lou. :wacko:

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 3

HorseFixer

All is well guys! :handgestures-thumbupright:   ND & Michigan is a Great Rivalry, and it makes me upset that it ended and the way it ended. It's a money maker for both schools, and has as much history and tradition as does any. Thanks  for the good Words about BO The Lil Focker.  :)   He sure keeps us busy that's for sure. He's like having a kid around here again.   His mind is always working and is smart as a Whip. After so many years without kids and living by ourselves, (except when grandkids come over) ya get to be independent and love the peace and quite. MJ has done wonders with him. Not one accident for him for 7 weeks now. He has a Michigan Collar and actually gets pissed off when she takes it off of him. He really took a liking to John Brrly1 when he came over the other day, guess he knows good guys when he see's them.  :rolleyes:  By the same token There was a couple HORSETHEIFS that were over here a while back and he knows how to point em out!  Goodluck to all, Since BO picked em I can blame him if I don't win!  :ychain:

• Like 3

JimD

Wow, nice to see fences being mended or maintained in here, but who's the bearded lady in post #92?  :scratchead:  Is there going to be a mini-circus at half time of the Michigan game this week? :ychain:

( :hand: This post provided for chuckles only. :razz: )

• Like 4

RMCIII

DUKE - as I stated in my post, YES they are contracted to the Conference for so many games each year. I know I said that. But they then also have the ability to bid on additional games each year..... They are not locked into the conference overall. They still can bid on other conference games that year...I'll give you an example Ohio State has 4 games that have not been locked in to a network yet. WMU, Indiana, Mich. State., and Michigan.... The rest of the schedule already is locked in for television purpose......
\
RMC

stevasaurus

2 things...Rob...correct me if I am wrong...you picked Notre Dame to win.  It is a little confusing what you said up there.
Brrly1...you did not pick 2 games this week...  Indiana vs Florida Int.   &   Michigan St.  vs  Oregon

Just waiting for Bitten to post his picks.  :)