Jr88FanKE

312-8 Wheel Horse Fuel Pump or Cam

Jr88FanKE

I'm posting this for a 74 year old friend of mine. He has a 1991 Toro Wheel Horse 312-8. The motor is a M12S, Spec# 471527, Serial# 2107704583. A few days ago his mower just stopped running. We checked a few things after reading this forum and we thought the fuel filter, screen in the tank or fuel pump. We removed the tank and cleaned it out at which point we found the fuel filter. Replaced a few rubber pieces under the tank because they looked a little dry rotted. Still no good so I pulled the hose on the outlet side of the fuel filter and had him turn it over, no fuel. Pulled the inlet side and fuel was flowing freely. Ordered a new fuel pump, connected it the inlet side, mounted to the engine turned it over and still no fuel on the outlet side. Took the fuel pump off and pumped the lever by hand and plenty of fuel on outlet side.

This is where it all looks bad to me. Grabbed a flashlight and looked inside the opening and it does not appear to be a cam lobe where the fuel pump should be. Pulled the inspection plate off just to the left of the fuel pump and it looks like part of the cam shaft has moved over at least 3/4 of an inch. The first lobe on the cam is 3/4 to the right of the first valve.

Does anyone know if this is a terminal issue or is there a shim or something that sits on the engine that keeps the cam aligned?

Thanks for the help! I can get some pictures in a little while if that will help.

slammer302

i know the arm on sum of the new fuel pumps can be different than the old ones maybe compare it to the old one and make sure its the same

• Like 1

buckrancher

also be sure the arm is on top of the cam not under when installing the lobe on camshaft will look round for the fuel pump arm to ride on

Brian

• Like 1

squonk