Sign in to follow this  
Beekeeper

Need to know about an AC-160

Beekeeper

Hi...possible new Wheelhorse man here :horseplay:

I am contemplating buying a 1974 AC-160. It has a side discharge and a rear discharge deck with it, and a snow plow. If there is a way to put a tiller attachment on the back of this thing, it will do everything I want pretty much. Is there a category 0 3-point hitch for these, and how would it turn a tiller...? A belt...?

Next thing is, I'd need to get all these parts so I could get it set up by Spring.

Thanks in advance...

wallfish

:hide: :D

Did you mean a C-160? or C-160 Automatic?

The C-160 will except a tiller attachment and it connects to the same "quick attach" location that the snow plow does. It is driven by a belt.

The C-160 is a nice heavy tractor that can handle attachments with plenty of power.

C-Series14

First off, :D

Here is a pic of my 1979 C-161 8-Speed, basically the same as your 1974-1977 C-160. There was no 3 pt. available for the C-Series except for the C-195. Some folks have built 3 pt. setups for the smaller tractors though...The tiller uses a long belt going thru an idler and pulley setup on the mid tach-a-matic from the engine's side PTO back to the tiller. It works very well. Any other questions, just ask! :hide:

C-161tiller.jpg

Duff

Just wanted to jump in and say, :D !

Glad to have you aboard; lots of great folks here willing to help with any questions you may have!

Where do you hail from?

:hide:

Duff :hide:

Teddy da Bear

Hi...possible new Wheelhorse man here
You know......funny you mentioned this.... We happen to

be in the market for a new Wheel horse (two words) man!

:D:hide:

I have a tiller I use on my B-100.....

There are a few pieces that go along in conjunction with the

tiller. There might be some illustrated here or you can look

over the Toro site or Partstree.com to see illustrations of the

setup.

I don't have a tiller part number handy.... Anyone???

And if your contemplating that purchase of a C-160...you'd

better hurry... Wheel horses that are for sale seldom leave

time to contemplate before someone else buys it.....lol

pond195520032003

Hi and :omg: glad to see new faces showing up again :hide: sounds like you are geeting a great first tractor :hide: the reason i say first, is because once you buy one, then another will follow :D also once you do get it :omg:

bitten

Beekeeper first off :hide:

I have A 36" tiller for my 310-8 which is a 10hp that does an OK job. Your 16hp will do a realy good job. The tiller model 67-36TL01. There are differant model numbers but thay are all basicaly the same for your tractor, there are other wheel horse tillers for other tractors but this number will work. That will give you an idea of what you are looking at. As stated before you can look at the Toro site and see it.

I moved up to the 50" for the back of my D200 and will never look back, but that is another story :hide:

Again :D

P.J.

Beekeeper

Sorry :hide: Wheel Horse :omg: (Redsquare forum fauxpas number one) my moniker on a different forum is Redhorse...used to typing that without a space, might be hard to break :omg:

Correct about the C-160 Automatic...my brain may have put that together itself, or it was a result of the MANY different tractors and model numbers I've had on my mind as of late.

sounds like you are geeting a great first tractor the reason i say first, is because once you buy one, then another will follow

Funny you would say that...I looked at one that is not running earlier this Summer and the guy still has it. I was already thinking about going back and working out a deal... :hide:

So are the tillers readily available? I can purchase new...or do I have to find an old one for sale? I'll go check out that toro site and see what is available. Also, I like the looks of that machine in your avatar pic there Wallfish!! I guess if I end up with two of them.... :D

WH854

Wheel Horse only made 2 models c-160 in 1974 8 Speed (1-0380) and

Automatic(1-0480) go here and put these numbers in the search area it will help you somewhat.

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

by the way :D

Chas :hide:

PS this information I got (Straight From The Horse's Mouth)

bitten

beekeeper

check out e-bay. if you can get one now you might be able to get it alittle cheaper then in the spring when everyone is thinking about them.

P.J.

Beekeeper

In the Spring is when everyone will be paying more for them...LOL!

I will need to get it set up and have it working by then... :D

Looks like I am going to trade an 18 hp MTD that runs, for a Wheel Horse that doesn't... :hide:

Still feel good about the deal though :hide:

wallfish

I would make that trade 10 out of 10 times.

You should feel good about it, you'll be using your tractor long after that MTD is in the junk pile

WheelHorse_of_course

Beekeeper

How big is your apiary? :D

A C-160 auto is a great machine, though you will want a smaller machine as well because it will get better gas mileage.

The tillers do show up on Craigs List, Ebay, etc. You can easily spend more than a tractor though, so be prepared.

You definitely want to make sure you get the mid-mount idler assembly unless you get a very good deal. You may or may not need the rear axle hitch (also used for the snow plow) take a look.

Finally look at the blades to determine how much use a tiller has had in the past.

Enjoy your horse! and :hide:

Beekeeper

I currently have 14 hives...I keep 8 of them on a trailer which I use to polinate a 16 acre pumpkin patch every year. Have to move them each season though as the pumpkin patch moves every year :D

Only harvested 250 lbs of honey this year...but it was liquid gold! Lightest, fruity flavored honey I've ever extracted. Look forward to hauling supers from the hives here in the back yard using my wheel horse and a nice little wagon.

I got the MTD tuned up and air in the tires today. Not gonna get to make the trade till I get back from Thanksgiving...so expect some before photos, and lots of questions in a couple weeks. This one is not the C-160 Automatic...I think it is an 18 hp, and no Automatic. Been long enough since I looked at it, I don't remember. Called the guy today and he is ready to make the trade whenever I can get over there with my trailer :hide: