Akestner

Tiller idler pulley

Akestner

So I bought a tiller for my 416-8 which is an 89 not sure of the serial number I bought a tiller that is a 36TL01 my problem is the idler pulley bracket hits the bottom of where the bar is on my pto shaft I seen a picture that shows it on a b series it looks like I need to grind off some metal around the bottom of the pto but I wanted to double check and see if there was a better way to do it first Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slammer302

a picture of what you have going on would help

bmsgaffer

Should not need to grind anything. Tillers are tricky, get us a few different angle pictures of your idler assembly installed.

Akestner

f1f5231e57d834611cc0077b70d5202b.jpg3115595465b1729e3bf6fb49dc02a211.jpgeeab64403433077686b676beef69d099.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akestner

I should also add that I didn't get the springs with the tiller either I found the info on the lift assist spring but I need the info on the idler pulley spring I found a pic of the idler pulley hooked up on a b series and looking at the angle the mount is in the way bc I was trying to mimic the picture that I saw unless I can do it a different way Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P3x

Hi  Akestner,

Not sure I understand the interference issue you're having. Have a tiller I use on a 520H. The tiller idler bracket arm with the spring hole is positioned approximately 3:30 position if looking straight on at it.  Picture attached.

Good luck,

P3x

TillerIdlerPulley2PTO Install.png

WNYPCRepair

What does it look like with the belt on? The part that is hitting should not hit that bracket. There are also 2 holes for the idler pulley, I had to move mine.

Maybe this post will help

Hi  Akestner,

Not sure I understand the interference issue you're having. Have a tiller I use on a 520H. The tiller idler bracket arm with the spring hole is positioned approximately 3:30 position if looking straight on at it.  Picture attached.

Good luck,

P3x

TillerIdlerPulley2PTO Install.png

If I remember correctly, that is what mine looked like also. Reposting picture to embed it

TillerIdlerPulley2PTO_Install.png.cc1cf7

Akestner

I understand the pulley setup the problem is mine is different my pulleys look like this 1bd09a74b8f43c5c6585bc791fd3ecbd.jpg This is NOT my tractor but I have the same style pulleys my tiller is a 76 and I'm trying to put them on my 416-8 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNYPCRepair

Just bend the arm out 1/4" to clear, all it does is hold a spring to keep tension on the idler

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I'm with WNYPCRepair.  Looks like a little bend will solve your issue.

Dennis

Akestner

Didn't think about that I guess I will what should I do for a spring though Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akestner

Does anyone know the spring size for the idler pulleys Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doc724

Akestner, There is a couple of things going on here.  First, for the idler that you have (the two arms are at 12 and 9 o'clock when looking at it mounted), the spring pulls back toward the footrest.  Put a long bolt and nut where the lower mounting hole is for the belt guide and hook the spring to that.  My spring is 2.5-3 inches long with no extenstions on the ends (just simple hooks).  Second, some of these idlers (the ones with arms at 9 and 3 o'clock) have two mounting holed for the idler pulley, one for single cylinder and one for two cylinder engines.  The best thing to do is down load a couple of tiller manuals from the manual section.  The idler you have is for an older tiller.  Pull up the parts lists first and look at the pictures, that will give you the info you need (and also the P/N for the correct spring)

• Like 2

Akestner

The guy I bought it from used it on his 520 but I didn't get any springs with it I was going to just get a spring from the hardware store I bought one today that I think is the right size I appreciate the info Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmsgaffer

Look under the tractor at the attachmatic and make sure the unit is centered with the collars on the inside of the attachmatic hooks. Sometimes it can seem centered when latched but it was offset just a bit.

If it is, then I would go with the slight-bend as mentioned above. If the PO had it on his 520 though, you should be able to fit it on your 416!

Akestner

I got it on and working now I actually posted another thread about it what a pain it was to put on, glad I bought another horse to keep it on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk