Save Old Iron

Starter Generator myth bustin' time

Save Old Iron

Anyone have a comment as to why the "flashing" worked the 2nd time and not the first time?
I mean other than the comment the SG "lost it's spark"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROFbX8e-snQ

• Like 1

JPWH

Thanks for sharing. Good information to know.
Is this required on all s/g? Or is it the type of voltage regulator used.
This may explain why the voltage regulator on my 854 was caved in by someone beating on it.
Hard to say by what I saw but it appeared to me that the first attempt wasn't a good enough connection to obtain full voltage from the battery to the field terminal.

Save Old Iron

Close, but watch again what he does with the wiring connector on the field terminal the first time and then what is done differently on the second "more sparkier" attempt. He does something DIFFERENT the second time - not just a better connection with the jumper wire. See if a sharp eye can pick this out.

Edited by Save Old Iron

JPWH

He left the field wire connected the second time.

• Like 1

squonk

He needs to change out that battery, replace those cables and get that  "The Prince of Darkness" regulator out of there. He knows how to get the spark out because he probably has to do it almost every time the tractor gets used. :)

• Like 2

Save Old Iron

He left the field wire connected the second time.

Absolutely correct, and disproving the theory that you need to  "polarize" a regulator. What happens on the second attempt is the battery current "sparks" thru the now connected field coil and polarizes the iron field shoes inside the generator into correctly aligned magnets, allowing the armature to cut thru the magnetic field and generate charge current.

And as Squonk says, that s just the beginning of his problems.

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It
I almost fell off my chair laughing when I saw the word LUCAS on the regulator. LOL LOL LOL
  • Like 1