bds1984

Eight-speed to Eaton 1100 conversion

bds1984

So, as th title of the thread states... Has anyone completed such a project?  I picked up a nice 312-8 yesterday for next to nothing that I was going to use for the engine and 48-inch deck for a 520H roller I've been kicking around the shop and it is way to nice to part out.  So, I'm thinking of building a 312-H now. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

slammer302

I think i would leave the 312-8 alone it seems to nice to tear apart for a project. I would keep my eye out for another parts tractor maybe in ruffer condition and use that to build the 520  plus i would think a 12HP might be a touch under powerd for what your wanting to do i've always wanted to see a kohler 16HP on a 520 and then you would have a 520 and 312-8! just my two cents 

WNYPCRepair

So, as th title of the thread states... Has anyone completed such a project?  I picked up a nice 312-8 yesterday for next to nothing that I was going to use for the engine and 48-inch deck for a 520H roller I've been kicking around the shop and it is way to nice to part out.  So, I'm thinking of building a 312-H now. Any thoughts?

I have often wondered if this could be done, and what is involved. I see some nice tractors for sale that are 8 speeds, and I prefer a hydro. I hate shifting

Jerzguy2

Maybe it just takes time, but I bought a 417H last year and just can't  get used to the Hydro. Is it me or what does it take?  

squonk

Sometimes it just takes time. I have both and can mow my yard 20 min faster with a hydro.  You would need all the control linkage plus either use the hydro lift also or loop the hoses.

Jerzguy2

I have both also, a 310-8 and the 417H. "What does it take" refers to getting used to it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or it's just being unsure of the damn thing, I really don't know. Is there a special way to operate these Hydros? While I'm asking questions, which one would work better with a tiller?     Thanks

WNYPCRepair

My issue with shifting is having to back up. Shifting with an 8 speed is much slower than a hydro. If you have long straight runs, it isn't a big issue

• Like 1

bds1984

I've mowed a few times with my C165-8 and I extremely dislike the amount of shifting it takes to cut the lawn. Mowing straight with my C165 is quick and easy since it will now go about 7.5 mph, it is just all the trees that kill me. So, after those few times of mowing, and all the parts I have laying around, I'm tempted to make this conversion.  

cleat

The hydro is so much better with foot control. Why Wheel Horse stayed with hand controls so long is beyond me.

I have Matt's kit on all 3 of my 520's and driving them is nice, the 416 on the other hand with the control just under the steering wheel just does not work as well.

Cleat

• Like 1

can whlvr

I have a 312-h,its ok for many duties,but in heavy grass or heavy snow(when blowing)shes under powered,i have bigger hp tractors,but the 312 is still a great machine,

Jerzguy2

Ok, it's the hand control that I really hate. How difficult is the foot conversion that so many use and where do I get one? I might actually like my 417H if I convert it.  Jack

bds1984

I was thinking of eliminating hand controls and go with the 'twin-touch' automattic set-up like my mom's JD GT235 has. I really like the idea of a pedal for each forward and reverse motions.
If this comes to pass, I'm looking at using a 42-inch deck to cut grass. I think a 48-inch is a bit much even on an 8-speed.

cleat

I mowed my 2 acre lawn for years with a Ford LGT165 with a 42" deck. Worked fine. The Ford had 2 pedals as well but you used your heel for reverse.

48" would be marginally quicker, the 60" however.... But it really uses up power, the 520 works to drive that one.

I am pretty sure 12 HP should do what you want, especially since with the hydro if the machine starts to bog down you can simply slow down a bit.

Cleat

bds1984

Cleat I have only once used the twin-pedal hydro that is a heel-toe set-up and I hated it.  My mom's JD has it side-by-side so it feels more going between the brake and gas pedals like driving a car.  I know it will take some engineering on my part but it is nothing that I cannot do.  Right now I believe the biggest hurdle to clear is the motivation!!!
We'll see how cutting the grass goes with the new machine when I get back home tomorrow and install a new ignition switch; the switch was $42!  Ouch!

pedals.jpg

cleat

That pedal setup is just like the Cub at work. You will find Matt's kit is kind of similar in that you can use your toe for reverse as well, it will be located a few inches further back is all.

This is Matt's kit on one of my 520's.

520_foot_control_1.jpg.6ac21acc3b982e985
520_foot_control_2.jpg.e459dd1088843148e

Cleat

diamondred

I have both also, a 310-8 and the 417H. "What does it take" refers to getting used to it. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or it's just being unsure of the damn thing, I really don't know. Is there a special way to operate these Hydros? While I'm asking questions, which one would work better with a tiller?     Thanks

I till in low low. This keeps it at a single speed. As with pullin' a plow, Second in high range... and again, you don't have to mess with the speed control. But I have to say, 10 hp will till, but 12hp on up works better.:twocents-02cents: 

We should chat... I have a 314H with probably every thing you need.

Edited by diamondred
Model correction.