Rob.A.700

500 special or workhorse 700

Rob.A.700

I just picked up an old wheel horse that someone attempted to restore. And all the decals are missing along and info tags. I was wondering if there were any other things that separated them?

• Like 1

953 nut
:WRS:   Presuming the engine is original to the tractor you could post the data on the number plate, also information from the transmission could help ID it.
:text-welcomewave:
  • Like 1

KC9KAS
:WRS: and photos would also help!
  • Like 1

octfst

A 500 special is a commando 6 with different decals. so you will need the Id tag to confirm that. It's under the dash and very hard to see. A 500 special has a  Tecumseh H60-75118H 6hp. a 700 has a Tecumseh H70-130043 7hp. there's many other models it could be if not the original motor. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Rob, wellcome  to red square. Some pictures would go along way. Best of luck.

glenn

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:eusa-clap:     :wwp:

:WRS:

• Like 1

Rob.A.700

I forgot to mention before thanks for the add! As for the serial number plate that is gone as well. The motor does appear to have been swapped out to a kohler k181s with a 12v ignition system. However I must admit I do like the little stack the previous owner put on.

07282015653.jpg

07282015654.jpg

Edited by Rob.A.700
  • Like 3

octfst

What makes you think it's a 500 special or a 700? they made plenty of that body style with a K181. That doe's look like a later model k181 but with out that tag there' s no way to know for sure. tractor looks older then 1968 or 1969 to me.

Edited by octfst

Rob.A.700

I found the tractor on craigslist they said that it was a workhorse. Then my friend and I did some research and he suggested 500 special and it was downhill from there. Now I am interested what modles came withe the k181s? I wold like to eventually put it back into service. But running for now is a good start.:text-lol:

octfst

There was 855, 856, 857 & commando 8 that had 3 speed/4speed trans. They all would have a starter generator. They made other models with 8hp but they had different trans,

• Like 1

Rob.A.700

Is there any serial numbers stamped into the frame other then the tags? I am thinking it could possibly be a 855 or 856 because there is an indent on the tin of the belt guard. Does any one know if that square indent only came on the 855 or 856s?

octfst

There's no numbers in the frame. only on your missing tag. I think your right about indent in the belt guard as far as 1965 & 1966 models. but if it's not the original motor could have been a tecky 6hp like a 606. No mater what  I would leave the K 181 on it and it will make you a good tractor. lots of tecky powered tractors got repowered. If it's K181 it would have a starter generator on it and I didn't see one in your pics  there should be numbers on your motor that could help you there.

Rob.A.700

The info tags were still on the motor so I was able to determine that it is a 74. So I believe that it has been re-powered and that it may very well be a 606. Although with out the tags I will never know for certain I am alot closer than I was before thanks for everyone's help.

gwest_ca

You did look at the very top of the panel below the dash housing for the ID plate? You almost have to get down and look up to see them.

Garry

octfst

I don't know if it's a 606. but I do believe it's a 1965 or 1966. what motor was on it with out that tag you will never know.

Rob.A.700

Here are a few more photos. See what you think... The dash pic shows the holes where the serial number tag was. The square indent on the belt guard. The seat. The trans with the corner of a tag left. The motor witch I identified as being a 74. The nice little wiring set up. The steering wheel wich i believe was also swapped out also you can see the ampmeter someone installed

07312015655.jpg

07312015656.jpg

07312015657.jpg

07312015658.jpg

07312015659.jpg

07312015661.jpg

07312015662.jpg

55rj35jr

the 500 has the plastic insert on the nose yours has a solid nose so not a 500 hood

ol550

the 500 has the plastic insert on the nose yours has a solid nose so not a 500 hood

Don't know where I heard it, there were supposed to have been 2 runs of the 500 Special.  Some had the insert and some not.  Also
some had a 6 between the flags on the hood stand decal and others did not. 
:eusa-think:

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Never have seen that big chief, Indian head seat before. 

CasualObserver
Never have seen that big chief, Indian head seat before.

It's from a Lawn Chief lawn mower... hardware/farm store kind of brand.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
The perfect seat then...    :D
for your Techy powered machine. 

CasualObserver

Many of these models are hard to nail down totally without a ID tag. Sometimes a tag doesn't even matter, because so many parts are interchangeable that machines have just been cobbled together to get something that runs and works. Without complete records from an original owner, you can never know for certain. 

From your pictures....most likely originally a 65-67 Tecumseh powered machine, meaning 605 / 655 / 606 / 656 / 607 / 657.  
Clues...

1. the squared off gas tank which would have originally been mounted to the engine
  2. the 6-12 rear tires and skinny front tires (Kohler 8HP machines all came standard with 23x8.50-12 rears and wider front tires)
  3. Rear fender pan is skinny size (wider pan started in 1968)
  4. More likely to be 65-66 than 67 due to the belt guard indent, but in my opinion not definite. I seem to recall discussion way in the past about early runs of 1967 using up the supplies of already stamped belt guards before they changed the tooling to eliminate the indent. I can't locate a picture at the moment to back it up, but regardless, like anything Wheel Horse, there were subtle small changes constantly through production.
Take that for what you will.... YMMV (your mileage may vary)
  • Like 2

gwest_ca

Don't know where I heard it, there were supposed to have been 2 runs of the 500 Special.  Some had the insert and some not.  Also
some had a 6 between the flags on the hood stand decal and others did not. 
:eusa-think:

There were at least 6 different batches of 500 Special built as shown in the serial number list and a very good possibility there were more.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2384-tractor-1968-500-special-da-om-ipl-snpdf/

How this was determined is if you have all the 1968 serial numbers in a single list other models were assigned serials between these batches.

Garry

• Like 1